Early teal migration report / harvest reports

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Early teal migration report / harvest reports

Postby MM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:10 pm

This is not designed to give up hunting spots! Put in what part of the state you saw the birds (close city if you want), when you saw them, and what tey were doing. Hopefully this will allow all of us to know what the birds are doing. If everything works out right it will help us kill more teal!

Lets also use this for harvest reports. PLEASE DO NOT put where you were hunting unless you want thousands of people to see... Lets have a great early season! :beer:
Like us on facebook! Reelfishingchat.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ReelFishi ... 6234462878
MM
Super Moderator

Re: Early teal migration report / harvest reports

Postby berettaguy17 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:10 pm

LaSalle County. Sitting on a small pond in the middle of the woods with wood ducks.
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby LouisianaFowler » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:55 pm

Hey berettaguy I think he is wanting early teal numbers. I got on here to check the movement. I could care less about woodducks. I can sit on any backwoods pond anywhere in North America and see 14 limits of Woodies. We need teal numbers, now get on some open water and scout, you Mid Westerners. I try to track each year by the weather patterns for each region and state. Its getting in the low 50's at night in ND and southern Canada. Still a little warm during the day. The lower nighly temps will help. We still have a little time guys. Last years numbers in the Miss RIver in IL were good all through the first of the season for BWT, hopfully it will work out again. I was working up there for over a year and got to hunt the Albany, IL part of the river. Ill be back home in AL this year Hunting the TN river and lake Guntersville. Later guys.
I like duck hunting...
LouisianaFowler
hunter

Postby Braidwood Hunter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:16 am

Calm down hoss...some of us midwesterners don't get all worked up about teal season. We got geese up here. But I guess I did see some of them scrap ducks droppin into our honker hole two mornings ago
Braidwood Hunter
hunter

Postby MM » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 am

LouisianaFowler wrote:Hey berettaguy I think he is wanting early teal numbers. I got on here to check the movement. I could care less about woodducks. I can sit on any backwoods pond anywhere in North America and see 14 limits of Woodies. We need teal numbers, now get on some open water and scout, you Mid Westerners. I try to track each year by the weather patterns for each region and state. Its getting in the low 50's at night in ND and southern Canada. Still a little warm during the day. The lower nighly temps will help. We still have a little time guys. Last years numbers in the Miss RIver in IL were good all through the first of the season for BWT, hopfully it will work out again. I was working up there for over a year and got to hunt the Albany, IL part of the river. Ill be back home in AL this year Hunting the TN river and lake Guntersville. Later guys.

From reading his post, he was saying that he saw teal sitting on a pond and there was wood ducks too. Don't get all worked up. This info is sure better than nothing.....

Saw my first teal last night sitting on a pond in Dewitt county. Not big numbers but it was nice to see some BWT. Have not seen anything in Shelby county yet but I have been watching.
MM
Super Moderator

Postby savducksunlimited » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:13 am

Found a hole in Shelby county with some BWT sitting in it.
savducksunlimited
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:40 am

Seen them in the NW part of the state, awful early for some of the bunches I saw early this past week, 30-50 in a couple flocks. They will be long gone before the 4th, hopefully they don't all move through early like last year!
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby berettaguy17 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:17 pm

I have only seen about 8-10 so far.
diverhunter50 wrote:Seen them in the NW part of the state, awful early for some of the bunches I saw early this past week, 30-50 in a couple flocks. They will be long gone before the 4th, hopefully they don't all move through early like last year!

I know they will move through early this year. This is the earliest I have ever seen Teal in my area. We usually get them about a week before season. Like my other thread, I think we wont see many teal this year
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby LouisianaFowler » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:55 pm

I didnt mean to sound like a jack ass, I apologize, Ive got the R&R's rite now. Ive been in Afghanistan all summer contracting.

I made a call last night, your morning, to a guy I know that works at Bitler Marine in Albany, IL and he said the numbers are way up on the river. I hope this helps.

So big numbers in open marsh water early morning 73 degrees.
I like duck hunting...
LouisianaFowler
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:46 pm

saw a couple dozen scouting this morning south of champaign. one we about ran over with the boat. closest ive ever been to a live teal. bluewinger by the way. hope there still here in a couple weeks :hammer:
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby riverrat47 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:50 am

I spent several days on the Miss, at New Boston, Il. Saw lots of woodies, but didn't see any teal.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:14 am

I spend a lot of time on the Mississippi river below Burlington, Iowa. I have seen no teal,several wood ducks and a few broods of young mallards.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:07 am

Blue-wing teal breed in Illinois, typically more dense in the upper 1/4 of the state but have been found breeding all the way down by Effingham in the past. Large numbers (greater than one brood) of teal flocks are probably a better indicator of a push of any sort, fyi.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby jcnelsn1 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:20 am

We have not had any cold fronts to speak of move through here (last weekend pushed a few out) and not much in the 10 day forecast other than a small front on Tues. It is going to be 103 here today. There were still fairly large numbers of BWT here all the way through September last year. Unlikely all the BWT will be through IL before the season even starts.
jcnelsn1
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:55 am

I know that a push of teal have went through the NW part of the state, I am on the river every day in early August, and around the 10th a bunch came through, big flocks of migrators, here and gone in a couple days. Look at the Louisiana state forums, they have had teal starting to show up down there since early August. Now I am not saying that the big push is on, but several have came and went through Illinois already. As for teal nesting in the northern 1/4 of Illinois, I don't think there are very many that do and they are sure not "dense", besides mallards, woodducks and the occasional meganser, I have only seen a small handful of teal broods over the years, and I am on the Mississippi River 5-6 days a week from the end of May til the middle of August, and I see a lot of young birds being raised, and none of them are teal.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby jcnelsn1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:08 am

I don't doubt teal have moved through. They will move just on length of day. I was just trying to let everyone know it it unlikely they will all be south before your season opens. There were huntable numbers here last year through september (even killed a couple in mid-October). I have been doing a lot of scouting for geese and on a daily basis I still am seeing tens of thousands of BWT.
jcnelsn1
hunter

Postby MM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:08 pm

I saw 6 on Lake Shelbyville over the weekend. Nothing great but at least it's something...
MM
Super Moderator

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:46 pm

We got lots of floodwater potholes and good numbers of bluewings in So IL already. Move over cottonmouths we are coming to join ya. :thumbsup: :yes: :grooving:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby duckmnn » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:47 am

Just across river in Mo.I've seen a couple gangs of 30 or so early Sunday morning.I'm about 3 hours South of Peoria in IL.
duckmnn
hunter

Postby RossJ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:39 am

DuckinFool wrote:We got lots of floodwater potholes and good numbers of bluewings in So IL already. Move over cottonmouths we are coming to join ya. :thumbsup: :yes: :grooving:

That is no joke. I was hiking south of Crab this weekend and I caught my dog sniffing a four footer. I dont think my heart rate went back to normal until he was in the kennel and I was in the truck. I will be skipping early season for just this reason. To me it is not worth hunting without my dog and in So Ill the risk is too high. Good luck.
RossJ
hunter

Postby savducksunlimited » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:29 am

found 6-8 BW today on Shelbyville.
savducksunlimited
hunter

Postby Puddler-Hunter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:44 am

I know this is not Illinois but I'm coming home for early teal opening weekend for my first teal hunt. I thought this might help with perspective for different areas of the Miss. Flyway. I live in SE Michigan and I just got done with a scouting mission and came across 60+ BWT loafing on some small potholes nearby not far from Lake St. Clair. No early teal season here but still fun to see them fly around.
"You can't do this in France"
Ted Nugent
Puddler-Hunter
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:44 am

diverhunter50 wrote:I know that a push of teal have went through the NW part of the state, I am on the river every day in early August, and around the 10th a bunch came through, big flocks of migrators, here and gone in a couple days. Look at the Louisiana state forums, they have had teal starting to show up down there since early August. Now I am not saying that the big push is on, but several have came and went through Illinois already. As for teal nesting in the northern 1/4 of Illinois, I don't think there are very many that do and they are sure not "dense", besides mallards, woodducks and the occasional meganser, I have only seen a small handful of teal broods over the years, and I am on the Mississippi River 5-6 days a week from the end of May til the middle of August, and I see a lot of young birds being raised, and none of them are teal.

They aren't nearly as dense of a breeder as mallards in Illinois, of course,but I was just conveying that they do breed in Illinois so the smaller numbers could very well be locals. I could get you the counties that they've been found breeding in if you really want.

It's less likely you'd see them on the river anyway since they use lakes and shallow water wetlands and nest in grass close to the water source. If you had some backwater or shallow areas with grass close, then you might see them.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby diverhunter50 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:22 am

I also have 5 large wetlands in 3 different counties surrounded by warm weather prairie grasses and cool weather grasses, this is where I have seen the few teal broods I have seen. And actually there is alot of waterfowl nesting on the Mississippi River, it has very good nesting habitat, with many large grass covered islands for birds to choose from. As long as they don't flood out.

I just wouldn't call them dense, it is bound that some of 7.4 million are going to get lost, i saw a specklebelly sitting on a nest and she hatched two young ones, up here about 7 years ago, so I could say that it has been found breeding in an Illinois county.

On another note, a couple more bluewings moved into the area with the cool NW wind. Hadn't seen any in about a week and a half and probably saw two or three large bunches (not locals) this morning.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby Coh-Brook » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:22 am

sittin on the river front in Chester IL (about an hour south of St. louis) I watched a group of 6 circle a few times and light on the slough across the river.
Coh-Brook
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting