Duck Hunting Forum banner

Pryamid state park

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  djv 
#1 ·
anybody hunt Pramid state park in southern Illinois

#3 ·
I drove by the Captain area Sunday afternoon and saw a buttload of blackfeet (800 or so) on the ground in a short field adjacent to the road. Lots of big ducks buzzing them. This was juts a bit east and on the south side of the road from the lR/R car loading facility. A bit further east of their I saw a lot of big ducks in the air as well doing touch and go's. All on field and not H2O. I haven't hunted there so I can't comment on that.

#4 ·
pyramid is a hard place to kill birds. i have hunted it alot. you will most of the time see alot of birds , and kill few. they all know where the refuge on the superlake is. Everynow and then after all your hard work at trying to kill ducks and geese youll have a good day. hard work i mean packing decoys far to get to some fields birds are using. I hunted a field last year that the birds were tearing up for 2 days straight, and set up in same place and just like they were and nothing, they would give us a look but would always end up on superlake. in my opinion pyramid is kind of poor. if you go to main office and ask about whats been killed up there and they will most of time say about 20 ducks a few geese. thats for 50 draw spots and a couple thousand acres of walkin spots. its the place to be if you want to watch birds suck in 200 yards away from you with one live duck all day long. I talk bad but I still like going up there .

#5 ·
as of dec 5 they killed around 650 ducks and about 60 geese. sunday saw alot on new geese and ducks. The cut with stakes in the 20 #'s had ben closed for ramp repairs they are going to open it wednesday. Herd that the birds wer using it like a refuge. Might be good place to try and draw. Also had alot of birds work us on a freelance spot. they wer very shy. killed a bull can and a gadwall.

#9 ·
those are the kill number for this year. and it sounds pretty good to me. i hunt a small club about a mile north of super lake and there are a bunch of ducks there. i mean a bunch. the geese have yet to arrive but there are a few. our pit killed 3 on monday and all three were banded. there was about 15 of them so i'm assuming all were banded. thank god my wife made me sleep in!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.