union county

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

union county

Postby grovertheweim » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:13 pm

hey can anyone give me some information about union county or horseshoe lake (alexander county). is it accessible with a boat, is it walk in, daily draw, etc ???? :help:

ps. crab orchard isn't worth a crap right now . . . dont waste your time :thumbsdown:
grovertheweim
Newb

union

Postby oochopper » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:55 pm

union isnt worth a crap either
oochopper
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:37 am

Both Union and Horseshoe have drawing areas. I have more experience with Horseshoe, so I'll start there.
There is a drawing area for the fields. I believe there are 30 some odd blinds. I haven't hunted the drawing area in quite a few years but when I did hunt it there were a few birds to kill. The problem, as it was explained to me, was that the tree huggers were fighting the state on tree removal and so the fields weren't like they want them. There were piles of trees that had been cut down all over the place last time I went there, just rotting away. It costs $15 per person with a two person max per blind. The usual rules apply: 1 dozen minimum decoys, 25 shells per person during duck season, 10 during goose season, cased guns to and from blind, etc etc. They drive you out to your blind on trucks and pick ya up at the end. Hunting is from shooting light to 12, out by 1. There are walk-in fields out by the highway and they aren't bad. The Cache will flood up in to them and makes for some decent duck hunting. The only boat access is on the Cache and I've heard plenty of shooting down there when I hunted there, never have hunted the Cache though.
Union has around 30 pits, and used to have two blinds, but I think they've changed that. $15 per person, max of 2 per pit. Same as above: 25 shells during duck season, 10 during goose season, etc etc. There is another area of Union that is geared more towards duck hunting, but I don't know anything about it. I believe that area is the firing line. Union has always had a pretty good set-up. Nice warm pits and usually holds birds. If there is a decent amount of water on your hole they used to supply goose floaters for the hole, don't know if they still do that. They, as does Horseshoe too, rent goose shells for those that wanna give it a try but don't have the decoys.
With 90,000 ducks sitting at Union, I will be there Friday and possibly Saturday, but the permit holders will be in full force Saturday. Good luck and if ya have any other questions ask away.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby bigman15 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:15 am

I have the disabled blind reserved at Union Co. Saturday, I called down to the check station there, they said they were covered by ducks but not to many geese. Here is the check station number maybe they can answer some of your questions 618-833-2313. Horseshoe lake phone number 618-776-5689. I can only speak of union co. its been years since I have been to horseshoe, but the hunting at the state pits was some of the best I have been around without going to Arkansas. 90,000 ducks is alot of ducks for that little refuge, everyone should have sucess. Good luck to everyone and be safe. :thumbsup:
bigman15
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:10 am

You would think that would be true, but once again my lucky ruined something that seemed like a sure thing. LOL I didn't hunt the firing line so that may have been my downfall. Instead I opted to hunt in a nice pit. There were only 9 or ten groups at the draw and only 2 permits. I picked 3rd out of the guys who didn't have permits and was left with my 4th and final pick. Plenty of water on it but most of it had sheet ice that would refreeze as soon as you walked out of it. Had a few ducks tight about 20 minutes before shooting light, but after that the only ducks I saw were either high or swinging the guys in front of me. Now I did have a few legitimate shots at those ducks, but I've been in their place more than once and had guys pull up and shoot at the ducks that were obviously working my blind so I refuse to do that. Not much shooting that I heard. and of the 90,000 ducks that are supposed to be there I saw maybe 15 of them. Not my finest day, but better then work.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting