How is the Illinois migration

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Is Illinois hunting getting worse or better?

Getting better
28%
Getting worse
50%
The same
22%

Total votes : 18

How is the Illinois migration

Postby mccree79 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:46 pm

Has anybody seen any migrators yet. If so what part of the state.
mccree79
hunter

Postby IL_Hunter » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:07 am

I have heard some talk that there has been a little shift in the patterns. I read somewhere that a lot of the Southern Illinois Goose Clubs are starting to regear towards ducks as the ducks seem to stall in Southern IL on their way towards Arkansas. They claim the weather not getting as nasty isn't pushing the ducks as far south. Southern IL has traditionally been the wintering grounds for Canadas. Now the Honkers are wintering farther up.

Has anyone else heard talk like this or has seen it with their own eyes. I live in West Central IL on the Mississippi and we definetely have more Honkers wintering around us.

This kind of makes sense because the way some of the weather patterns have been. Just curious.

Good Luck to everyone on this years waterfowl seasons!

Kevin
Duck Blinds - The summer home of freakishly large common water snakes.
IL_Hunter
hunter

Postby jakeducks » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:44 am

I saw a lot of geese flying over opening weekend. I hunt Sinnissippi/Rock River by Sterling and Rock Falls. It was the most geese I have seen on opening day since I started hunting the area. I work in Chicagoland and the geese have been very heavy starting early this year. Big flocks showing up the 3rd week of September and they keep on coming.
jakeducks
Newb

Postby Voda » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:36 pm

Hunted this weekend in McHenrey County. Man are there the geese. All decoyed and worked well. Sunday we had over 200 sitting in the decoys before the 5 of us shot. Great weekend for geese. Still have not seen any ducks.
Voda
Newb

Postby weedsnager » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:48 pm

i've been out 3 times in NE illinois, not seeing very many. i'm hunting over water. did manage to shoot 2 of them.
weedsnager
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:42 pm

The weather in S. IL is really effecting us down here. The last 2 years has gotten worse than the previous.

I really NEED a good year. Our quota finally paid the price this year. If the hunt does get good the season will be over in 2 weeks, on geese anyway.
mccree79
hunter

Migration

Postby take em » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:43 pm

I live in Southern IL and the hunting just keeps getting worse the birds just arent getting here in time.
Take em
take em
Newb

Re: Migration

Postby take em » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:46 pm

take em wrote:I live in Southern IL and the hunting just keeps getting worse the birds just arent getting here in time.
Take em
take em
Newb

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:39 pm

well, season hasnt opened here in central illinois, but im getting ready... Im going to school right know so i live in the bloomington normal area, and there were countless numbers of geese on the golf courses and my pit had a few on it, so it might be a good season
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Waiting for more birds

Postby bkowles » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:26 am

I agree with jakeducks......I hunt the Rock River a bit further up river and while there seem to be a fair number of geese around I have to say I'm disappointed so far in the duck action. Last time out I felt like I was only goose hunting! Strong winds predicted for tomorrow so hopefully something will be moving.

Good luck to the central zone guys -- there is no feeling quite like the night before "the opener".
bkowles
hunter

Postby DanT » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:22 pm

I hunted in Bureau County IL on 10/30-11/1. We didn't fire a shot at one of our clubs in Bureau. Hunted Princeton Fish and Game Club on 11/1 and four of us got 22 teal, 1 woodie, and 1 mallard. I saw a whole lotta ducks in that club which is pretty standard for Princeton. Most of the ducks that were working were teal, woodies, and some crazy pintails. It looked to me like the early migrators are coming through. I also saw a lot of Canada geese. On my drive back to KY, I saw birds in the air and on every little pond along I-80, 39 South and 74 west all the way to the IL line. I think you guys are in for a good season.
I keep score by the number of times I get to hunt, not by the number of birds we get.
DanT
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:16 pm

7 days until opening of duck season, in the southern zone. We have about ........ZERO birds here. Another great year of cooking breakfast in the blind.
Last edited by mccree79 on Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mccree79
hunter

Postby mattuluz » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:24 pm

I hunt in north west Illinois. The ducks are still in Wis. and Mich. for sure. It seems we are more goose hunting than duck hunting. I contend that every season depends on weather patterns, and we have not gotten a major weather event up north to make them move south. Thank God for dumb locals!!
mattuluz
hunter

Postby DanT » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:17 pm

Hunted around Bureau again on November 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th. I ended up with 2 mallards total. This is about as slow as I have ever seen it up there. We even had a front come through on the 24th and had to break ice on Thanksgiving. We did see several flocks fly over that appeared to be new birds, but who knows! Very few were working. I'm heading back up that way the week before Christmas and maybe try one more time.
I keep score by the number of times I get to hunt, not by the number of birds we get.
DanT
hunter

Postby duckkiller7 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:38 pm

Here in the Central part of the state here around Pekin-Havanna, the duck hunting has def. picked up. Nothing great yet, but def. getting better. The goose hunting in Fulton county/Tri-County SUCKS!!!! Besides all the lessers I haven't seen anything that even looked like a Migrator YET! Anybody from this area have anything different to report around this area-IL River Valley area????
duckkiller7
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:15 pm

Is anyone hunting a big push of migrators?
If so, what part of the state.
mccree79
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting