Reports: Anyone having any luck in So Ill

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Reports: Anyone having any luck in So Ill

Postby thebiggrfigr » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:06 pm

I haven't had a bad season, but not a great one either. Been killing birds lately in the Scatters and Oakwood. Man I sure prefer shooting greenheads. Hows everyone elses season? :salude:
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:10 am

Are ya killing em down at Oakwood? I was kinda figuring that after the freeze Oakwood woudn't be worth the time. Ya not killing mallards? What is it you're killing? I'm not trying to bum rush anyones honey hole, I just like to hear what everyones doing. I've been hunting very little this year. Rend Lake and Union county are the only places I've been going and I wouldn't say either place is hot by any means. I think this will be my last year hunting public land exclusively, I'm tired of the headaches. Hope ya slay em at least once this year. Good hunting.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby sioutdoors » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:34 pm

try the dry field around pyramid they seem to be the best out there
belly up feet kicking
http://sihunters.blogspot.com/
sioutdoors
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:55 am

limited out on mallard on sun in the scatters killed 3 on mon. Now i have to take a few days off the ole lady is steaming, man they just don't get it!
thebiggrfigr
hunter

not bad

Postby oochopper » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:31 pm

this weekend down south me and buddy shot snows specks mallards killed our two pintails both days and even got into some gadwals. was pretty good for me. dont worry theres still alot of birds down there . not all of them are on refuge now. they scattered out a bit. had more pintails work the dekes than i ever had . seen probly 300 all mornin. seen thousands of snows . mallards were tougher to get in range. they were mostly in groups of 50 plus. try not using the robos if you are. i had one this weekend and never turned it on. birds were just sailing in dekes. good luck to you biggrfigr.
oochopper
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:24 am

Well scratched out a couple the last 2 days. Have seen bunches of birds probably just headn to some corn field to grub down. One of the mallards I cleaned was just chucked full of corn. Bet if a guy spent some time driving around scoutin hey could find em in a dry field somewhere.
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:19 pm

went down to oakwood saw a lot of ducks. but some hunters don't get 200 yards away means 200 yards away. they always set up about 100yards away and sky bust when they work your decoys. it pisses me off. not only is it unsportsman like conduct but it can be dangerous.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby fish » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:37 pm

we had some kids sitting behind us somewhere between 70 to 100 yards away with the wind in their face on saturday and they had two ducks come some what close to them and these ducks were not even close to tree top high and they started shooting. it pisses us off when people do stupid stuff like that. if you do end up hitting the bird its going to fly off and die somewhere else. people need to learn to know their distances and have patience.
fish
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:37 pm

Wow! Had the most awesome hunt I've had in years. 3 guys 10 mallards shoulda had been done by 9;30 but ya'll know how that goes. Still it was great to see a bunch of mallards in Oakwood and working birds too. I'm thinking they were new because they weren't shy of calling or anything. Boy I miss the days when it was like it was today, that was just a blast. My puppy dawg is one whooped pup...she did awesome! :getdown: :salude:
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting