Thieves hit Tim Grounds hunt club

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Thieves hit Tim Grounds hunt club

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:11 pm

Thieves rob goose pits at hunting club
by les winkeler
the Southern

MARION - Thieves broke into a pair of goose pits at the Tim Grounds Hunting Club, located on Little Grassy Blacktop in rural Williamson County, earlier this week.

Grounds said he left the club shortly before sunset Sunday and returned about 4:30 a.m. Monday to set up decoys for a morning hunt. He discovered the theft at that time.

The thieves made off with five shotguns, including three Benellis and a Beretta, 200-300 rounds of Heavy Shot shells, a digital camera and hunting bags containing 10 to 15 calls belonging to Grounds and his son, Hunter.

Both Tim and Hunter Grounds are world championship callers.

"The big thing is, they got all his (Hunter's) bands," Grounds said. "My Benelli, the old one, and the bands, that's what really got me. I can't replace them.

"All his bands, including the one he killed when he was 7 years old. There were probably 25 to 30 bands."

Grounds estimated the loss at between $8,000 to $10,000.

There was no damage done to any of the pits, or the clubhouse. Several motorized decoys were scattered about, but were untouched.

"They came after the guns," Grounds said. "I don't think the calls mean anything to them.

Grounds said the thieves entered the club through an adjacent field.

He is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the thieves and the return of the stolen items.

The Williamson County Sheriff's Department is currently investigating the theft.

Anyone with information concerning the thefts is asked to contact the Williamson County Sheriff's Office at 997-6541 or the Williamson County Crimestoppers at (800) 414-TIPS.

Information which leads to an arrest could make the caller eligible for a cash reward. Those who contact the Crimestoppers are not required to leave a name or phone number.

les.winkeler@thesouthern.com

(618) 529-5454 ext. 15088
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckhntr82 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:27 pm

Some people just make me sick
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Postby fairgamedq » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:20 pm

We had over 5 dozen decoys stolen out of our pit by duqoin. mostly greenhead gear and bigfeet. We had just as many plus some stolen last year but the cops just took the info and acted like they could care less. But then again what can u really do. If anyone has any info send me a pm. our club and pits are along old duqoin road strait east of the fairgrounds.
fairgamedq
hunter

Postby DHAHN » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:01 pm

IT IS REALLY A SHAME THAT PEPOLE DO THIS, WE WERE ONE OF FOUR PITS IN CENTRAL IL THAT WAS HIT THIS YEAR WE LOST SEVERAL DOZEN DECOYS WE POSTED REWARDS AND EVERYTHING ELSE WE COULD THINK OF BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THE POLICE HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO AND OUR INSURANCE COMMPANY HAS GAVE US NOTHING BUT THE RUN AROUND I HOPE YOU GUYS HAVE BETTER LUCK THAN WE DID
DHAHN
hunter

Postby goosedowner » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:01 pm

Why do people have to be like this. They are just decoys.
Fire Up The Grill Cuz Deer Huntin Aint Catch & Release

Confucuis Say, "He who Hunt Good...Eat Good"
goosedowner
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:22 pm

I realize that many decoys is a lot to pick up everyday, but why would you leave shotguns, calls and such that mean so much to you and are so expensive in you pits. That's screaming come steal me, I have private pits myself and I NEVER leave anything out there over night. I pick up all my dekes and leave nothing but empties in my pits. IT's bound to happen sooner or later if you don't pick up your stuff.
wtrfwlr
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:38 pm

A buddy of mine had quite a few stolen a few years ago. It was a mixed bag of shells, silos, and so on. The people that stole them had a long walk, because if they had taken the easy path they would have went right past the farmers house. The only consulation my buddy had was that they might have killed themselves try to get them all out. The sad truth, and this seems to be generally true about any insurance claim, he had to claim a lot more in order to replace them. Why can't people just leave others stuff alone?
I completely agree, why in the world would anyone leave shotguns in a pit? I don't care if it is a locked pit or not. If you are not there to keep an eye on em, they shouldn't be there. That just seems like basic responsible gun ownership.
Those calls are gonna pop up on ebay or somewhere being sold as Tim Grounds personal calls somewhere down the road.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby duckkiller7 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:03 pm

Did anyone hear that Tim Grounds went to Jail over this. I heard a rumor that he found out who did this, and took a gun into a bar after them??? Was this true????????????? Does anyone know?
duckkiller7
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:01 pm

Personally I think Tim Grounds is a Pshycho. Woulnd't buy his calls or hunt his clubs. But that's my opinion
wtrfwlr
hunter

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:46 pm

I am not very happy with the quality of his calls lately. And from what I've heard around alot of other people aren't happpy with grounds.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting