Grassy lake hunting club

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Grassy lake hunting club

Postby goosedowner » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:18 pm

I am a guide at grassy lake hunting club in southern Illinois. We have one of the best duck seasons in a long time with killing over 5,000 birds. Haven't done much good on geese. I need to know what happened to the geese. :eek:

One of these days they will be back.
Fire Up The Grill Cuz Deer Huntin Aint Catch & Release

Confucuis Say, "He who Hunt Good...Eat Good"
goosedowner
hunter

need bad weather up north

Postby bigman15 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:17 pm

They never had to travel south because they didnt receive the snow cover . I think they said it was one of the warmest winters in the history of record keeping, that and man made barriers this has been happening over ten years we have been seeing less geese. On the other hand Arkansas has been getting less ducks every year, I subscribe to their outdoor magazine. the best hope for the future of goose hunting I think is the resident flock they are trying to start on Crab, but its going to take awhile for them to reach a huntable number. Pray for snow up north next year.
bigman15
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:27 pm

I tend to agree with the mild weather theory. There are many more including the flyway is moving west, the young birds haven't been taught to fly south because of the mild weather and do not know about this end of the state and so on. Whatever the reason they don't come down here. Here I am living in what used to be THE goose hunting mecca of the midwest and it isn't uncommon to see no more than 10 birds a day in some places. Strangely enough this seemed to begin around the first year I started hunting. Oh, well theres always the snows.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Re: Grassy lake hunting club

Postby likesbigspreads » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:19 pm

goosedowner wrote:I am a guide at grassy lake hunting club in southern Illinois. We have one of the best duck seasons in a long time with killing over 5,000 birds. Haven't done much good on geese. I need to know what happened to the geese. :eek:

One of these days they will be back.

5000 :eek: :eek: :eek: How many blinds? We have entire state sites with like 25-30 blinds that dont kill that much
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:09 pm

4,4a,6a,7,9,9a,10,18,19,20a,
help me out goosedowner,how many other pits are there on Kline?
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Pits on the northfield

Postby goosedowner » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Their is about six that i know of. 18 and 4 the best this year. They have also killed a few out of seven over the goose decoys.

Let em rain
Fire Up The Grill Cuz Deer Huntin Aint Catch & Release

Confucuis Say, "He who Hunt Good...Eat Good"
goosedowner
hunter

Postby duckkiller7 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:06 pm

Who are you goosedowner? I know alot of the guys from Grassy
duckkiller7
hunter

Postby duckkiller7 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:53 pm

Are you still around goosedowner?
duckkiller7