I need help picking out a shotgun

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Best shotgun

Poll ended at Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:18 pm

Remington
50%
Berreta
38%
winchester
13%

Total votes : 8

I need help picking out a shotgun

Postby goosedowner » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:18 pm

I am looking to buy a new shotgun and i need help on deciding what to buy. i have a 870 but am looking for a good semi auto.
Fire Up The Grill Cuz Deer Huntin Aint Catch & Release

Confucuis Say, "He who Hunt Good...Eat Good"
goosedowner
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:29 pm

What makes you pick these three? What precisely are you looking for, willing to spend?

If you are satisfied with your 870 and how it feels, you may be best suited for the 11-87 or even the 1100.

What about a Mossberg 935, or an SBE?
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

winchester

Postby bigman15 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:13 pm

Until winchester is bought by another company I would hold out and see, they are scheduled to close I think in March. They blame a sagging sales in guns, their ammo will not be affected. I would take them off the list.
bigman15
hunter

Postby duckhntr82 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:58 pm

well if i were you i would stick with the 870.........im not a big fan of semis........every time i hunt with some one that has one they have a problem.....it might only be a little problem that can be fixed but i dont' need any at all.

but im not sayting they are all like that.......just i havn't seen anything that impresses me with them.....

i will have to admit they are nice thou.
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Postby rlduckhntr » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:00 pm

XTREMA 2 All that needs to be said.

I have an xtrema and have never had a problem with it. Very dependable. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.
rlduckhntr
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:44 am

I agree with duckhntr82, why get rid of the 870? They are tough as nails and there is no jamming. I have hunted with an 870 from the time I started hunting and have no complaints. This year I took a nose dive and the gun went straight into the mud. I pulled the barrel off, ran a stick through it and shook the water out. She kept on shuckin without any problems. Could you do that with a semi?
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:47 am

I will have to say the same as the rest. Keep the 870. It is the only gun that I will take to the swamp. I have never had a problem.

bigman15 - what company is buying out winchester? I haven't heard anything about that.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:30 pm

As my fellow waterfowlers have said stay with the 870 SBE's are over rated and mossbergs well i won't comment on those.
wtrfwlr
hunter

Postby spencerusmc » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:31 pm

Go out and buy a Browning, the Gold Hunter Model if you really want a semi, I personally havent found a reason for me to get one, i shoot a browning pump (BPS) just as quick as all my buddies shoot their semi's, i guess since i have been shooting a pump all my life it's just natural, but i have NO complaints with my Browning :thumbsup:
spencerusmc
hunter

Postby fish » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:29 pm

i am glad you someone started this poll becuase i shoot an 870 and i was thinking about getting a new gun for next year. i love my gun, the only problem i am having is the wood becuase i hunt about 3 to 4 days a week and the water is getting to the wood. ever since i have started hunting it has been with an 870. they are a great gun. i was thinking about getting a super x, but i might stay with the 870 pump.
fish
hunter

winchester

Postby bigman15 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:40 pm

So far no one has made a firm offer the way I understand it. Its looks like a big legal mess to me, I remember when smith and wesson sold their shotgun line to mossberg I owned a s&w model 1000 mag, I had a hard time finding parts and they gave me a list of people who had the part and who could work on them, I heard the winchester closing information on tv on a late night news broadcast before I left for hunting so its not rumor.
bigman15
hunter

Postby duckhntr82 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:58 pm

If you are having problems with the wood it is because it needs to be sealed again. Pull it apart.......sand it down and stain and poly it. or just poly it......what ever floats your boat...

i have a wood 870 that i stained Black. it is going on 17 years now and it still shoots like it shot when i pulled it out of the box. I also drop it all the time.......throw it in the boat......been droped on in the water several times. Always picked it up wiped it off and good as new......

thats why i can't see a reason to change...i also have a 20ga 870 that i use to pheasant hunt with.

but remember these are ALL of our own opinions .....and only you can try things out and decide which gun feels best for you....if its pump, semi, or what ever..

Just remember that its not gona make you shoot better.
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Postby Duck/Deer Slayer » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:42 pm

Hey champ I just hunt with a 22 Im that great of a shot.

If your a hunter you should know what kind of shot gun to choose for yourself.

RREMINGTON
Duck/Deer Slayer
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:38 am

I have a browning and i love mine..if it wasnt for the dura touch. i have had horrible luck with it. The gun operates awesome and fits me great. I will NEVER own another remingon. I have had a 11-87 and 2 597's. all junk. The only thing makin me keep the 11-87 is the fact i will never get my money back out of it and when it does cycle it makes an awesome deer gun.
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting