Hevi Shot vs Kent faststeel

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Hevi Shot vs Kent faststeel

Postby goosedowner » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:21 pm

Is Hevi shot worth the extra money or is kent faststeel just as good to use. I haven't had the chance to use hevi shot so i dont know. But i heard that it was either the ducks were dead or you missed completely. :help:
Fire Up The Grill Cuz Deer Huntin Aint Catch & Release

Confucuis Say, "He who Hunt Good...Eat Good"
goosedowner
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:49 pm

I've seen no difference whatsoever!
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby duckhntr82 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:12 pm

If it is Fast steel ( meaning its mostly steel ) there is a big differance in knock down power...

But there is know way i can afford to shoot hevi shot cuz i hunt to much...

i tried remingtons hevisteel this year.............i was not impressed by it at all. the shot in the shell was not even close to being round and even thou i had number 2 shot there was from size BB to #4 in it.....

I will not but it again........i still stick with the Xpert Steel.......cheap and i drop them like a rock with em .......

but as i always say everyone has there own opin
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:23 pm

Hey duckhntr82. Are you talkin about Xpert HV from Winchester? Cause I cut those open and saw the same thing your talkin about from that Hevi Steel stuff. Glad you said that, I might think twice about gettin some, I was gonna try it. But anyways one to the question. There is no doubt that Hevi Shot is good. Ive shot it for 3 straight seasons, and it does outperform steel. Its even heavier than lead for goodness sakes. What else needs to be said? But as for WORTH IT? thats for you to decide. Depends on the situation at hand. It flat does a better job and you can get it at 1400 fps, thats close enough to the fast steel loads. I dont know about one pellet kills. So you CAN hit them and they dont go down but not often at all.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby duckhntr82 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:13 pm

funny thing is i compared the Xpert Steel side by side with the hevi steel....

and the 9 buck a box XPert was 5 times better then the hevi steel. I mean i even hunted with it.... ( 5 boxes ) didn't see any diff.

But i mean i could have gotton a bad batch.. anything is possible.
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Postby sioutdoors » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:55 pm

used fast stell and hevy shot this year and i think the kents out preformed them.
belly up feet kicking
http://sihunters.blogspot.com/
sioutdoors
hunter

Postby fish » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:14 pm

i like the kents. they were the thing that i had the most luck with. they are not that expensive either. i thought that they were resonible. i am ganna buy the case of them and then they are about 8 dollars a box anyway then.
fish
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting