Snow goose time

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

How many of you snow goose hunt

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes : 9

Snow goose time

Postby goosedowner » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:53 pm

Canada season came to a close tuesday. Skipped school so i could go to the club. We did pretty good we killed seven out of our pit. We seen a bunch of snow geese flying around so it is time to start killing them. If anybody has any tips or tricks on how to kill more let me know :help: . Me and some friends are able to hunt this field with some pits on it and it is right in between the refuge and a field where the land. We have about 1200 decoys and 2 electronic callers. Hopefully this will be enough to shoot some.
Fire Up The Grill Cuz Deer Huntin Aint Catch & Release

Confucuis Say, "He who Hunt Good...Eat Good"
goosedowner
hunter

Postby ILWaterfowler » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:26 pm

I'm hoping to get into it soon. I don't have any decoys just yet though, so I need to get some of those on order, although I don't have much money to spend on them. My hunting partner was discussing getting some goose gloves for this Bigfoots, so that may be a start. Anyone know if there are many snows flying around in the Springfield area?
ILWaterfowler
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:53 pm

goosedowner,
Just curious which pit you hunted in. How many did they kill on the club?
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:53 am

If you want cheap decoys get some white (clear will work just as well) trash bags. In a pinch they work just fine. If you wanna be more fancy get some rags, they don't hoild up well though. Last year I hunted over about 200 decoys, a mix of rags and silos. This year I am going to get some trash bags as fill in. If it's white it'll get their attention. Paper plates, white cardboard boxes, trash bags, anything white.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:07 pm

ALright hunting between the refuge and a field were they are eating is a bad idea. Snow geese aren't like canada's they usually don't peel off and move away from their normal location just because there are a few dekes in a field. You have to be were they want to be, or have thousands of dekes and a bunch of E callers to pull them down. If you don't have 200+ dekes and an E caller then you might as well stand there and hope they fly low enough and save yourself the trouble.
wtrfwlr
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting