Doves..

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Doves..

Postby tealslayerblw » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:14 pm

So this year we hunted doves at Kankakee River State Park, and we had to use Steel, wow oh wow did that suck. We hit about 40 birds and killed 20 between the two of us...Steel is terrible. Anyone else have to use steel this season for anything else other than waterfowl?
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby blindretrieve » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:18 pm

ahh no...I can't hit them with lead much less steel :getdown:
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby duckhntr82 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:36 pm

hunting in my state park huh.......

i hunt there every year for dove........

I didn't have any problem hitten them with steel. I killed my 15 birds with 19 shots. I do have to admit you have less knock down power but i use full choke any time i use steel and never have a problem up to 35yards. Don't make much diff to me because i have to use it for waterfowl so i don't mind.
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Postby wj2001 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:14 pm

I've shot a lot of steel at doves over the last 6-7 years. Never had any problem at all with cripples. We shoot 7.5's at em, and they'll fall pretty dead at reasonable distances. If you're shooting long shots, you probably need more choke. If you're not killing them dead at short range you've probably got too much choke and are just fringing them with your pattern. I'd suggest patterning your gun with several chokes so you can adjust your choke to your shots. I've learned to carry my chokes into the field, and more than once I've had to make a change to avoid cripples. If you've never patterned a shotgun you should. It will tell you a lot, and acutally make your kill percentage go up. Good luck.
wj2001
hunter

Postby duckweed » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:51 pm

we had permits for opening day at kankakee and that was the only time we saw birds. then after that they just disappeared. and the sunflower program wasn't the best. i killed a lot more at des plains. plus it is closer to my house.
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby duckhntr82 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:34 pm

Thats funny cuz hunted there the 5th day and i killed my 15 in three hours........i have hunted desplaines many times and have only killed mabey 15 birds total.

Are you counting the ones you missed? lol

Have had real good hunting the last 4 years at the kank and i never have hunted with a permit.

scott
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Postby duckweed » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:30 pm

i killed my 15 the first day ands over the course of the rest of the season that i hunted at kank i might have killed 30. and at des plains i killed about 60 throughout the season.

Not counting missed birds.

William
duckweed
hunter

Postby thaner » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:20 pm

I had to shoot steel for the first time this year in Indian. I shot the Winchester super steel #7 1 1/8 oz. It was great. I killed birds no problem with it out to 35 and 40 yards largely with skeet and IC chokes. Patterned very good with good velocity. I though it was going to be a let down to shoot it but it was just fine. I saw no performance difference between by lead hand loads and the steel. What loads and choke were you using?
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby duckweed » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:17 pm

i was shooting 12 GA Remington highspeed steel #7's. they were shot through an IC Choke. and to get the farther birds i used a MODIFIED choke. and they worked pretty good and patterned great.

William
duckweed
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting