Meremt Lake in Massac County or Cache River?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Meremt Lake in Massac County or Cache River?

Postby Brem21 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:44 pm

Anyone hunt Mermet or Cache River? I have herd about these places. Any info would be great!
Brem21
hunter

Re: Meremt Lake in Massac County or Cache River?

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:18 pm

Just like anywhere else, some days it's on and others you spend more time joking and eating. But that's hunting....both have DNR admin. rules and I think Mermet has a draw (could be wrong).
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:38 pm

Mermet draws every morning for, I believe, 31 blinds. You need a small boat (I don't suggest taking a 16 footer, it's just not built for big boats) and if ya don't have one for ten bucks they will rent you a boat, paddles and life jackets. There are also two walk in areas. If there are birds there then you can kill them in the walk in area just as well as you can in the blind areas. Opening morning is a mad house. Typically at least as many blanks as there are blinds. We have gone 4 yrs now without drawing a blind opening morning and last year I blanked all three times I hunted there. It is hit and miss, but you get to sit in a nice warm blind (if you are drawn) and it's free (unless you have to rent a boat). I have only hunted near the Cache so I won't be much help.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby Brem21 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:01 pm

Will they still rent you a boat for 10.00 at Mermet's draw?
Brem21
hunter

Postby rism » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:01 am

Cache River can be some of the best walk in hunting you will find BUT BUT !! Extremely difficult to get to know the area. Not recommended for the first time novice waterfowler. If you don't have time to go and scout the area and watch duck movement you will probably not have much luck. The area runs for miles and miles along the Cache River (Cypress Creek NWR) Water conditions make a huge difference also. Been hunting it for years and still don't know how to get into some of the places I see ducks going and coming from.
rism
hunter

Postby smokinquack4 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:05 pm

Cache river is the place to be late season
smokinquack4
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Has anyone here been hunting Mermet recently? I'm curious if it's any good at this time of the year. I've never hunted this location but I've had a couple of guys tell me that it has potential. I'd appreciate any response or private message that you could share. :help:

Thanks, Bob
BRCPres
hunter

Postby SouthernIllinoishunter » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:09 pm

Mermet is doing awful right now. This year there wasn't just any ducks around because everything around here froze early. Some days though mermet is a hammer spot we killed 36 there last year in 2 days right after a snow front.
SouthernIllinoishunter
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if this storm will help or hurt the area?

Bob
BRCPres
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting