oakwood bottoms

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

oakwood bottoms

Postby swampcrawler » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:01 am

wondering who all is planning to hunt there when it opens
swampcrawler
hunter

Re: oakwood bottoms

Postby satguy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:46 am

I know where it is and have never hunted it before. I would surely like to give it a try.
Phowler Extreme 1856
Prodrive 36hp
Avery Quickset blind

If it ain't broke don't fix it
satguy
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:46 pm

The rumor is, they aren't flooding the northern sub-impoundments, due to burning and clearing. FYI, don't enter the sites prior to 0430hrs. They got tired of the high school punks going out at midnight to reserve a spot.

I enjoyed hunting it, but haven't in the last 3 years. Good luck, just don't try to cross the ditches, they are deeeeeep.

Jesse
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:03 pm

MOSSBERG935 wrote:The rumor is, they aren't flooding the northern sub-impoundments, due to burning and clearing. FYI, don't enter the sites prior to 0430hrs. They got tired of the high school punks going out at midnight to reserve a spot.

I enjoyed hunting it, but haven't in the last 3 years. Good luck, just don't try to cross the ditches, they are deeeeeep.

Jesse

Thanks jesse,i thought you could enter at 4 am but i may be wrong
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Opening morning is typically a mad house. I have been told there are holes that people don't hunt much that are always free on opening morning but I have yet to see them. I never enjoyed a race carrying decoys and wearing waders, and this was before the 4:30 rule. I would assume that if you want one of the holes everyone knows about you better be a world class sprinter or dumb enough to fight over a duck hunting spot. Later in the season is the time to go. The crowds are gone and the ducks are usually there. Or go Christmas morning. Used to be a tradition for me to go there by myself Christmas morning. One time I remember seeing two other trucks, the other years didn't see anyone else parked.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Wasn't planning on hunting there opening morning,But later on,as I have never hunted it before and you can't scout it before the season (2weeks)I'll wait and let the fair weather hunters get it out of their blood.I have scouted south of the oakwood bottom rd but not the north side.
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:01 pm

I haven't hunted the north side in yrs, but I have ventured over there a few times. I always had better luck on the south side to be honest. Course if ya cross the river, you can hunt the south side all day long. But I have been told there are some deep holes over there, so if you have a small boat might be worth loading up in the bed of the truck. Don't think you can even use a trolling motor though so be ready to paddle.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby tlegere104 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:54 pm

I heard from some hunters that went for youth season and they limited out both days
"No I don't have to arrest you, I choose to."
tlegere104
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:09 pm

Man even if ya don't kill a duck it's a good day at oakwood! Nothing like standing in flooded timber watching the ducks swing over the treetops!
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:53 pm

With the way they setup the south zone you can figure almost every hunter from southern Illinois south of Carbondale to Cairo between the rivers will be converging on Oakwood and the scatters. You may have to haul your own tree out to hide behind.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:49 am

DuckinFool wrote:With the way they setup the south zone you can figure almost every hunter from southern Illinois south of Carbondale to Cairo between the rivers will be converging on Oakwood and the scatters. You may have to haul your own tree out to hide behind.

no just oakwood bottoms ,the scatters are still in the south zone,unless i'm wrong the big muddy is the boundary line.

No i will just wait till their both open :thumbsup:
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:56 am

Oakwood is in the southern zone. It runs across 13 over to 127 at Murphysboro then south down route 3 down into union then across to the river.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby rism » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:28 am

Oakwood and the Scatters are in the SOUTH CENTRAL SOUTH CENTRAL SOUTH CENTRAL SOUTH CENTRAL. I really don't know why there is so much confusion on the zone lines. It is very clear in the Waterfowl Digest.
rism
hunter

Postby tlegere104 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:39 am

We were considering opening on the river but the water is so low none of the cuts and side pockets will be flooded. I have not had time to run it but I would imagine there are a bunch of woodies. We are seeing a load of woodies on our holes.
"No I don't have to arrest you, I choose to."
tlegere104
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:05 am

Ya know you are very much right I mistyped that. it should have said south-central zone. The boundaries are pretty screwy. Up, down, over down, east, west.... What is the point of going down route 45 and across to Indiana at 70? If the problem is that people in the northern part of the old south zone say they froze up too early does this mean that the portion east of 45 and south of 70 has some sort of mysterious weather effect that keeps it from freezing up? I just can't see that 12 days is going to make that big of a difference. And since the south-central and the south zone both close the 31st why not just keep one southern zone and open it up in earlier to satisfy the people in the northern area and the southern boys will still have their later season hunting? I admit that I have never paid attention to restrictions that the feds put on seasons and there may be some sort of rule that restricts the state from doing this, but I just can't see it.
Sorry to beat a dead horse but it just doesn't make sense to me.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby lostpup » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:49 am

chrispbrown27 wrote:Ya know you are very much right I mistyped that. it should have said south-central zone. The boundaries are pretty screwy. Up, down, over down, east, west.... What is the point of going down route 45 and across to Indiana at 70? If the problem is that people in the northern part of the old south zone say they froze up too early does this mean that the portion east of 45 and south of 70 has some sort of mysterious weather effect that keeps it from freezing up? I just can't see that 12 days is going to make that big of a difference. And since the south-central and the south zone both close the 31st why not just keep one southern zone and open it up in earlier to satisfy the people in the northern area and the southern boys will still have their later season hunting? I admit that I have never paid attention to restrictions that the feds put on seasons and there may be some sort of rule that restricts the state from doing this, but I just can't see it.
Sorry to beat a dead horse but it just doesn't make sense to me.
Chris

Chris would you rather have the early start or late? ...........Leave us alone over here on the east side as we were'nt complaining about freezing out. That was the Carlise guys claiming they freeze to early.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackhead77 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:15 pm

oakwood is great when the ducks r their stay away from 14 that where everyone wants in the clearcut shot lots of duck in their over the years befor the 430 rule i guess i was one of the so called high schoolers that some one was talking about eventhough i wasnt in high school just a die hard duck hunter witch was nice if u were willing to go early and do the work you would get the spot and of cource people that didnt want to get up early and do the work cried like little bit%&$ till they changed it. but now off my soap box section 8 section 10 look thease spots over worth your time to explore thats how i found the holes i hunted. wont tell u where their r but if your a good hunter u will find them their. havent hunted oakwood in years (had to move to cent il for work) but by far my most favorite place good luck and watch out the ditches are over your waders
quackhead77
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:38 pm

Honestly, I would prefer a season that runs into February. Don't care much when it comes in but I know during snow goose season there are mallards here and quite a few pintails too. I never worried about freeze up at all. If the water freezes either go somewhere else or wait a while and it will defrost.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby ilbucksndux » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:53 pm

It was not just high school kids camping. Heck 3 years ago we had one hole tied up for 2 weeks straight ! It is true the north end will not be flooded. Here is what I cant get over is all you guys openly talking about "spots" on the www. internet scouters are out there and they are real. Now thanks to this post the south end of Oakwood especially 8 and 10 will be loaded with people.
ilbucksndux
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:41 pm

swampcrawler wrote:
DuckinFool wrote:With the way they setup the south zone you can figure almost every hunter from southern Illinois south of Carbondale to Cairo between the rivers will be converging on Oakwood and the scatters. You may have to haul your own tree out to hide behind.

no just oakwood bottoms ,the scatters are still in the south zone,unless i'm wrong the big muddy is the boundary line.

No i will just wait till their both open :thumbsup:

You better get more familiar with the zone lines before hunting. The man not going to be too happy with you trying to hunt the scatters a week after it closes. State Forest road is the dividing line from 127 to Rt 3 then the line follows the Big Muddy west to the Mississippi. :yes:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby quackhead77 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:22 pm

well the first time they walk to section 8 and 10 u will seperate the hunters from non hunters so they would have found it anyways i have played the game with internet scouters their just that 9 times out of 10 the wont go and put in the time it takes to find where your talking about but that said from now on ill just pm guys who want to know so not to stir up any sh@&
quackhead77
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:20 pm

quackhead77 wrote:well the first time they walk to section 8 and 10 u will seperate the hunters from non hunters so they would have found it anyways i have played the game with internet scouters their just that 9 times out of 10 the wont go and put in the time it takes to find where your talking about but that said from now on ill just pm guys who want to know so not to stir up any sh@&

quackhead,I hope that wasn't directed at me because until missouri season opened i was walking swamps and stepping over cottonmouths for the last 2 months,3 or 4 times a week.and i don't believe i even ask for info but that said,I AM GRATEFUL to the guys that offered there opinion on this to me both in the open and in pm's that includes you quackhead77

goodluck guys in the up coming season
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:58 am

The high school punks I'm referring to are the few that would camp out to get a spot and only hunt for an hour. They make too much noise leaving and walk right through your hole to see how you did. Very annoying.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby quackhead77 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:24 am

no that was for ilbucksnduxs i dont mind helping anyone if the want help their self this is a great forum i just dont want to turn it into one where everyone is being nasty sorry for the confusion goodluck to all any one who spends time at oakwood during the early fall has my respect hope u grindem up
quackhead77
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:19 pm

OWB has been a mystery for me ever since my father hired a guide who took us there when I was 15 years old.
I always wished I could meet someone who knew where the "holes" were/are.

When the internet came out I looked at google maps and found the old ponds but I don't think that's what people meant by holes.
I'll be passing through that area several times this season and would dearly appreciate any help getting a couple ducks in OWB.

I have decoys and have been hunting ducks since the late-70's. OWB is just too big a place to take on alone...I tried.
PM me and I'll keep where we go secret.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting