Mojo Mallard

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Mojo Mallard

Postby mccree79 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:00 am

Is anyone in the upper quota zones using motion decoys? If so how are they working this year.
mccree79
hunter

Postby bkowles » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:01 am

I don't hunt in the quota counties but I am in the north zone. Been using the spinning wing decoys occasioinally but not always......still seems to get the mallards (when there are mallard around!) close enough for a quality shot, but when geese are working I definitely turn it off. We have shot 12 geese so far with the spinning wings off and only a hand full of ducks with it on, but we just haven't had that many opportunities at the ducks yet.

One other suggestion.....if it is a sunny day I just leave my spinning wings in the box.....sunshine seems to make everything too visible to the birds and they are already very weary to the point that spinning wings probably scare more birds away once they get within 100 yards. Good luck.
bkowles
hunter

yo

Postby Pintailjoe » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:09 pm

we have 2 baby mojos and a real mojo and for ducks been workin good but when the geese come you better shut that baby off
Pintailjoe
hunter

Postby bkowles » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:36 am

.....an update to my post on this subject from earlier in the season -- now I don't even bring my spinning wing decoy out to hunt later in the season. Without a major migration of new birds happening I've noticed the few birds that are around are extremely skittish and suspicious and really don't respond well to the flashing white wings. In face, last weekend I couldn't get birds close with a typical decoy spread so I tried something different and picked up every (duck) decoy I had out except two -- a hen and drake mallard. Eventually I got a flock of 8 or 10 mallards to come right in -- with no calling either, by the way. My view is the spinning wings are for the first three weeks of the season and that's about it.
bkowles
hunter

Postby duckhntr82 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:29 pm

sometimes i only put out a few decoys myself.... i find it sometimes works alot better then a big spread.. ... i hunt public land most of the time and even thou you would think the more the better i will put out mabey 6 decoys and the birds respond alot better. Just like you said unless i see TONS of birds working i think for a few ducks to fly by and see a few decoys out is more natural to them.
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting