How's the Hunting been????

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

How's the Hunting been????

Postby flysitdies6 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:23 am

Hi, Just wonder how the hunting has been so far. Opening weekend in South was dismal for me. Seems like birds not around yet. Like to hear from others as to you success and what your seeing in the fields. THANKS
flysitdies6
Newb

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:26 pm

well, the geese were here for a little bit, but it seems like they stopped for a while. As for ducks, i havent really seen that many around my spot, but then again, its not the best spot around. Thursday ill be going down to the sanganois to hunt so that will be the real test to see if the ducks are around or not... I hope it doesnt rain like it is supposed to
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby duckhntr82 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:29 pm

well , its been slow but a bad day hunten is sure better then anything else.

Its been slow duck hunting... but goose have been very good. hope to get some of dem quacks this weekend.

Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Postby bkowles » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:16 pm

A very similar story here. I hunt private property on the Rock River (north zone) and the stories are similar. Did really well on the geese the first two or three weeks, slow on the ducks, and most recently dead as can be. There are lulls in every season but this one has me worried a bit more than normal. I don't know whether to be happy (the slow action isn't just me, my spot, my bad luck, etc.) or depressed (it seems slow every where in northern IL)....so I guess I'll just have to go out hunting again tomorrow and let nature takes its course.
bkowles
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:00 pm

Teal........teal and more teal. Killed one mallard and not even seen a wood duck. But I got teal to shoot at.
mccree79
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:06 pm

Well........The Teal are dead and/or moved on. Now I just sit thinking about what it would be like to see a duck.
mccree79
hunter

Postby duckhntr82 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:09 pm

Well....my and my buddy got 4 geese and a malard..... had alot of ducks worken us but they wouldn't drop down... good hunt thou....jake ( my dog ) swam after a goose for 300 yards or more til he caught him...then had another do do the same but only half of that... so good hunt today.. i hope this cold weather we are gona get will get some more ducks flyen..
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:37 pm

Yeah... me too, flying south toward me.
mccree79
hunter

Postby JakeTheDrake » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:13 pm

Hey Guys,
New member here, NW side of Chicago, hunt the strip mines between Wilmington and Coal City about 2.5 mile north of Braidwood Lake
Hunting has been at best poor to marginal. Finally saw and killed a couple mallards on monday the 22. hoping the weather will get way nasty and send some birds in. Geese started out real good, but they got smart fast.
I thought they said this would be a good year. I just checked the arial counts and we are way below the 5 year average.
It can't get much worse........
or can it?
JakeTheDrake
Newb

Postby GooseBuster » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:35 pm

There isn't much duck action going on in my area at all. I've been hunting the Southern zone in Clinton County all my life and this definitley has been the worst year I can ever remember. So far my blind has only killed two ducks, a wooduck and a ring neck. Those were both on opening morning. Besides those two I haven't seen much else. I took some kids on the youth hunt on Oct 30th and 31th and there were ducks everywhere. That was the only time we have seen any large duck movements. Lets hope this recent snow front can get some birds moving a little bit.
GooseBuster
hunter

Postby duckhntr82 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:14 pm

well, hunted today (friday) and got 5 of dem ducks. pretty good day.. saw alot of birds flyen ....i had to move me spread to a diff spot and then got my birds.
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:39 pm

Hunting sucked this weekend. killed a mallard drake friday night. nothin sat. night and didnt even see a duck sunday. Why has this been such a crappy year?
duckaholic_16p
hunter

yo

Postby Pintailjoe » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:08 pm

Hey guys im new to the site and we hunt up north a little by gurnie and i live a hour south. Today which is sunday i must have seen over 3,000 cranes over my house and while we were hunting so the migration is late but it is on its way. goin out tomm. so ill let u know how it goes
Pintailjoe
hunter

Postby duckhntr82 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:30 pm

well sunday, i got 2 malards...i saw more ducks then i have all season but just couldn't get them to come down and join there friends. I think hunting is gona get bettter....seems like theres alot more birds out there.
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting