Rice Lake question

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Rice Lake question

Postby asmythe32 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:05 pm

are there blinds on the lake that they draw for or do you have to build a blind if you draw in? Curious to see if it is worth going over there for the draw. If you have to build them it would not be worth it for me. Thanks for your help.
asmythe32
hunter

Re: Rice Lake question

Postby asmythe32 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:06 am

37 views and no one knows the answer???? Not looking for you honey hole, just trying to get some info that the DNR site does not clarify very well.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby WTRlabDOG » Thu May 10, 2012 9:50 am

I'm not sure about the blinds. But the walk-in there are no blinds available just stakes. If you don't get your answer just call them. The guys at the rice lake unit will help you out....
Please check out my website @ http://www.capitol-outdoorsman..com

Follow me on twitter @capitoloutdoors
Follow me on facebook @ capitoloutdoorsman
WTRlabDOG
hunter

Postby Woodyard » Thu May 10, 2012 1:33 pm

Yearly draw held in late July.
Guy who draws the site and up to three partners build the blind to state specs. It's theirs for the season if they show up. If it's not claimed by a certain time, it goes in the daily draw.
2011-12:
Mourning doves 49
Buck antelope 1
Buck mule deer 1
Mallards 97
Wood ducks 3
Greenwing teal 24
Bluewing teal 2
Ring necks 8
Pintails 3
Wigeon 1
Gadwalls 1
Shovelers 2
Redheads 1
Canvasbacks 1
Bands 2
Woodyard
hunter

Postby Bigdawg22 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:39 pm

There are 3 different options at the Rice Lake area. Rice has a yearly draw for the 30 blinds on Rice Lake/Big Lake. Not sure of the time, but there is a daily draw for any unclaimed blinds for the day. You have to have a boat for this.The other option is the Rice Lake Walk-ins. They draw daily with permit holds drawing first then if any open spots they draw stand-by. You walk in to a stake and hunt there. No blinds are built. The last option is Banner Marsh. Same type of daily draw as the walk-ins. Most spots you can walk in to. Some walks are more than a mile. Some spots you need a boat. There are blinds already built and you must hunt out of the blind. Hope this helps. If you want more info pm me.
Bigdawg22
hunter

Postby Copper's_Handler » Tue May 15, 2012 3:38 pm

One follow-up to the prior post is that Banner has a daily use fee. Unless that has changed, it's $10. Also the map online for Rice Lake's ridge field unit is old and outdated by about 3 years. The numbered spots are different now.
Copper's_Handler
hunter

Postby qckhd » Thu May 17, 2012 6:42 am

The map for Banner is also outdated! Most blinds are still in the spots shown but some have been moved to new locations that are not even close to what is shown!
qckhd
hunter

Postby boxingcat » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:43 pm

I am new to rice lake, do we I need to have a dog or boat if I am lucky to get a walkin spot?
boxingcat
hunter

Postby qckhd » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:04 pm

boxingcat wrote:I am new to rice lake, do we I need to have a dog or boat if I am lucky to get a walkin spot?

If you are hunting the walk in at Rice a dog is optional but neither are needed. If you draw in for an unclaimed blind on main lake a boat is needed!
qckhd
hunter

Postby boxingcat » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I went to banner on Thursday but I only saw a few duck 300 yards away. Would it be better of to try walk in at rice lake? is here a big difference between main lake blind and walk in blind?

qckhd wrote:
boxingcat wrote:I am new to rice lake, do we I need to have a dog or boat if I am lucky to get a walkin spot?

If you are hunting the walk in at Rice a dog is optional but neither are needed. If you draw in for an unclaimed blind on main lake a boat is needed!
boxingcat
hunter

Postby lil_mason09 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:29 pm

The walk ins at rice lake are much different than actual rice lake. The walk ins are both flooded areas I know vorhese is millet and corn not sure about ridge field this year. Any other question pm me I can try to help.
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby qckhd » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:37 pm

You CAN NOT walk to blinds on main lake and there are no "blinds" in the walk in only stakes.
qckhd
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting