Mazonia Waterfowl Help*

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

Mazonia Waterfowl Help*

Postby ctmsnow32 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:18 pm

Hey guys just curious if anyone has any experience at Mazonia? I was wondering if you guys use "long lines" or just set individual decoys with separate 20'+ lines? Looking to check it out sometime this year and would love to save myself a wasted day figuring out which technique is best... thanks Pete
ctmsnow32
hunter

Re: Mazonia Waterfowl Help*

Postby ctmsnow32 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:06 am

come on guy really? no one can leave just a short answer for me?
ctmsnow32
hunter

Postby WTRlabDOG » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:22 pm

Never tired the long lines out at Mazonia. My advice waste a day and find out what works best. I will say time is of the factor so a long line might work best. Like I said never tried them.
Please check out my website @ http://www.capitol-outdoorsman..com

Follow me on twitter @capitoloutdoors
Follow me on facebook @ capitoloutdoorsman
WTRlabDOG
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:26 am

I've never been to Mazonia but here's what I would do..
I would say to drive over to Mazonia and do some fishing or at least scout around the blind sites, that way you could get your question answered, get a better lay of the land (as I've heard it is almost ALWAYS foggy on the lake during duck season) and maybe put a few fish in the boat....sounds like a day well spent to me, just my $0.02. Good Luck! :thumbsup:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby greenhead827 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Are we talking Mazonia or Braidwood cooling lake? Big difference in both!
"I don't like repeat offenders......I like dead offedners!"- The Nuge
greenhead827
hunter

Postby ctmsnow32 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:21 pm

mazonia
ctmsnow32
hunter

Postby greenhead827 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Mazonia doesnt get foogy. They dont kill many birds in the mazonia lakes. The state requires the blind builder/partner has to keep a min 12 decoys out at all times. There is usually a ton of blinds open out there.
"I don't like repeat offenders......I like dead offedners!"- The Nuge
greenhead827
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:36 pm

greenhead827 wrote:Mazonia doesnt get foogy. They dont kill many birds in the mazonia lakes. The state requires the blind builder/partner has to keep a min 12 decoys out at all times. There is usually a ton of blinds open out there.

Not sure where you are getting keeping the decoys "out at all times." From DNR, "All hunting parties shall hunt with at least 12 decoys. Decoys shall be staked, placed, or floating, be individually visible, be at least 8 inches long, and not be within a boat, blind, or container."

Mazonia does kill birds. Maybe not in great numbers. I can see that blinds will be open after harvest is taking place. I'm predicting that fields will be cleared a few weeks earlier this year.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby IllinoisGIO » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:33 pm

I have hunted Mazonia for near a decade now, and this is what you should expect: 1. It is not written that you must keep ANY decoys out at your blind. That said, many blind builders leave their spread out for the duration of the hunting season, or until the ice moves in. Also, many builders will have conduit or poles sunk in front of their spreads for RoboDucks if you so choose to bring a few to use...not a guarantee, but many do have them. 2. If you want to bring out your own decoys, you can use a Texas rig or Diver rig(long-line) to make it easier to drop and pick your spread. This is especially nice when your adding some decoys to someone elses spread so you dont get them mixed up or tangled together-that can ruin a hunt! The winds on Mazonia can be brutal on single-tied decoys, and you will have some break loose and float away, so long-lining will save a trip into the coves chasing your decoys also. 3. Mazonia area is an old coal stripmine. The bottom of the ponds can go from 4ft to 20ft in a matter of a few horizontal feet. This is different for every channel that houses a blind, so your best bet is to tie 25-30ft leads on all your decoys and drop a few in the spots where you want to lay your spread to test depth before you set-tie your cords to the keels...this is only if you decide to use single drop decoys of course, and for the most part you will not have to worry about setting your own decoy spread for most blinds. And as always, a little chatter with the shack or fellow drawers for Mazonia will grab you some info on who is leaving spreads out and depths out front of the blinds(the guys in the shack will know most of this info, and have no problem letting you know what they know, as well as many of the hunters that come to draw for Braidwood Lake at the shack do hunt Mazonia also and will be happy to share any info.) Hope this helps.
IllinoisGIO
hunter

Postby ctmsnow32 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:56 pm

wow, that is an awesome run down and a huge help. I really appreciate the time and info. thanks a lot!
ctmsnow32
hunter

Postby DBrooke » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Late response but I'll give it to you. All I hunt 90% of the time I hunt water is Mazonia. Most all of the regulars know me (my name is obvious to my username)
As far as the fog goes, whoever says it doesn't get foggy out there doesn't hunt it enough. Take this mornings youth hunt for example. I could cut about 10 yards of fog wit ha 2Million CP spotlight. I have had days in the south unit where the conditions were just right and the fog was being blown off of Braidwood and you couldn't see the bowl light on your boat going across Pondo.

Most of us that have a blind there will leave decoys out. Some guys run gang lines (risky), some run 3 to a tree, and others (like me) run singles. Depending on what blind you are at you can have from 3' of water to 30' of water in front of you.

If you have any questions about a particular blind, let me know I'll give you what I can....... in PM :thumbsup:
DBrooke
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting