Boat blinds on the river

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Boat blinds on the river

Postby BEDB » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Whatd yall do about setting boat blinds on the river? The law seems to kinda contradict itself. I was always told you could hunt basically anywhere you can get with a boat from a navigable waterway but as soon as you set an anchor your trespassing. So in theory you would have to have permission from the person who owns the closest shoreline as soon as you set an anchor. So i thought i just wont set an anchor but then it says you have to? I dont get it
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Re: Boat blinds on the river

Postby lostpup » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:01 am

BEDB wrote:Whatd yall do about setting boat blinds on the river? The law seems to kinda contradict itself. I was always told you could hunt basically anywhere you can get with a boat from a navigable waterway but as soon as you set an anchor your trespassing. So in theory you would have to have permission from the person who owns the closest shoreline as soon as you set an anchor. So i thought i just wont set an anchor but then it says you have to? I dont get it

Alot of this depends on what waterway your hunting. In some areas of the Illinois river for instance it's controled by the citys and or state wildlife areas. Those are off limits other parts are free lance heavens.......

So what waterway are you asking about ?
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 am

Illinois water laws are vague and confusing, at best. Your best bet is to contact the Game Warden for the area in question. Make sure he really knows what he is talking about, as some wardens are better versed on Illinois water laws than others.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby BEDB » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:27 am

lostpup wrote:
BEDB wrote:Whatd yall do about setting boat blinds on the river? The law seems to kinda contradict itself. I was always told you could hunt basically anywhere you can get with a boat from a navigable waterway but as soon as you set an anchor your trespassing. So in theory you would have to have permission from the person who owns the closest shoreline as soon as you set an anchor. So i thought i just wont set an anchor but then it says you have to? I dont get it

Alot of this depends on what waterway your hunting. In some areas of the Illinois river for instance it's controled by the citys and or state wildlife areas. Those are off limits other parts are free lance heavens.......

So what waterway are you asking about ?

Im lookin at the Illinois River between like Peru and Hennepin.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:03 pm

I'd be careful up there as I think it's mostly duck clubs but I havent been there in 25 years so what do I know?
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby BEDB » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:56 pm

threedogs wrote:I'd be careful up there as I think it's mostly duck clubs but I havent been there in 25 years so what do I know?

Nothing's changed. Still a lot of big money clubs and hunt on the wrong shoreline and it might be the last thing ya do. I've been askin around and lookin at a lot of maps. Ima try and not get shot but I guess well see. It's still early
Flocked Wear Field Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby threedogs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:47 pm

I'm going to hunt the same way when I come back after Thanksgiving. I always wondered about Peoria Lake.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby bassnbud8 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:23 am

threedogs wrote:I'm going to hunt the same way when I come back after Thanksgiving. I always wondered about Peoria Lake.

I heard no on Peoria lake, if you set anchor or beach your boat you are trespassing. As some one said above Illinois water laws are very vague!
bassnbud8
hunter

Postby BEDB » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:44 am

according to the law you could float into lake senachwine and hunt there but see how far youd get doin that. Youd be lucky to get out alive
Flocked Wear Field Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby dangimissedagain » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:21 pm

yes, you can hunt the main channel of the river as long as you are not on shore. in that area (hennepin area), i would be careful as even though you can hunt the main channel, the hunters at the duck clubs get upset about it. you have to have permission from the land owner if you want to be on shore as they own to the water. also, you cannot interfere with barge traffic, so, make sure you are in a spot that is wide enough for them to get by without sucking your decoys under.

you cannot hunt the backwater lakes (senachwine,sawmill, goose pond, etc) as earlier posted because the land under them are privately owned and you would be hunting without permission. i know it's confusing, but that is the way the law works. my suggestion would be to not even waste your time on the main channel of the lake and hunt spring lake or lake depue. there is a daily draw for the blinds not taken by those who took them in the annual duck blind draw. however, when the geese get down, just north of the hennpin bridge on the east side is a really good spot to kill geese. just watch out for the wing dam up there.

hope this helps
dangimissedagain
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:26 pm

Pg 23 of the Hunting Regs booklet: It is unlawful to: hunt from a floating blind that is NOT anchored.

It against navigation rules to anchor in a navigation channel.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby dangimissedagain » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:58 pm

yes, i forgot to mention that.... everything else i said is correct though....
dangimissedagain
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Not necessarily. As I've stated before, Illinois water law is extremely confusing and vague, AT BEST. Numerous tracts of land were never ceded to the corps of engineers when the dams were built therefore, even though the corps controls the water and you can fish, but once you drop anchor, you are tresspassing. Few if any of the duck clubs will push this for fishing, but if you are hunting, they WILL have you arrested. That is why I posted to talk to the CPO's in the area's you want to hunt, as I know there are several problems with hunting on the Illinois River.
I am much more familar with the Mississippi River. Two pools on the Miss., pools 19 & 20 are privately owned, created by the power dam at Keokuk by Union Electric (now Ameren). You can fish all you want. Owners usually don't enforce anchoring for fishing most of the year, but the CPO will be there in minutes if you do it during duck season.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby dangimissedagain » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:43 am

That information came directly from a cpo who works that area.
dangimissedagain
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:58 am

Well, you should be OK then, especially if he's been there for some time.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Anyone killin ducks on the river?
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby BEDB » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:00 pm

threedogs wrote:Anyone killin ducks on the river?

nope, not this week
Flocked Wear Field Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting