Banner Marsh

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Banner Marsh

Postby young pup » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:46 am

Just wondering if anyone has been down there lately and boated around the area and what water conditions are like down there and what blinds are reachable and unreachable right now, i would go look myself but the boat motor is in the shop and it may be a while untill i can get it back
64 days until opening day of central illinois duck season!
young pup
hunter

Re: Banner Marsh

Postby lil_mason09 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:27 pm

I was out there yesterday fishing for a little bit. The water is pretty low. Obviously the main lake itself isn't bad but The shallow marsh areas are really in need of water. Where water should be there is grass growing...not looking good. I know it's early yet but there weren'tany ducks around either atleast that I saw.
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby young pup » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:01 am

well if you were on the main lake, did you see the floating blind that is out of the first cut, and if you did see it, was it in water or surrounded by dry ground
64 days until opening day of central illinois duck season!
young pup
hunter

Postby lil_mason09 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:20 am

I was not out on a boat and I didn't even fish the main lake I drove to the main lake boat ramp and just took a look. I was fishing in the east point access by the levee everything gettig to that point on both side of the road was pretty dry. I'm still new to the area so I'm just trying to familiarize myself with the area before season.
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby WTRlabDOG » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:41 pm

DRY yes... that seems to be everywhere I call they saying it's bone dry :mad: However, I like most of you are just hoping this storm brings in some much needed rain. I don't mind giving up opening day of Dove/Goose to make sure water is at my holes.
Please check out my website @ http://www.capitol-outdoorsman..com

Follow me on twitter @capitoloutdoors
Follow me on facebook @ capitoloutdoorsman
WTRlabDOG
hunter

Postby lil_mason09 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:14 am

All we can do is hope that we get the rain as of right now it's not raining here in Peoria. So guess we will see after the storm goes throught I will probably take a ride down there in the next few days I'll let ya know about how the levels are! :beer:
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby Kesselmayern » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:25 pm

Are there any more updates on banner. I'm going to school in Wisconsin, and no one I've talked to seems to be able to give me an answer. I got a permit to hunt there in November, and didn't know if there had been any rains to help raise the water levels yet.
Kesselmayern
hunter

Postby qckhd » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Banner will be huntable just some spots will have very little water and may not be accessible by boat. If I go out this weekend and get a chance to boat around Banner I will update sometime next week.
qckhd
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:26 pm

QCKHD: just curious if you got a chance to take a look at Banner this past weekend? How's it looking??
BRCPres
hunter

Postby lil_mason09 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Was out there last Thursday the water levels were very low, I checked out the south end of the lake and made it all the way up to the main access area and walked to where the blinds are. There were no blind built as of Thursday so they have alot of work to do before youth season hits this weekend. And there is going to have to be some adjustments of where the blind numbers are going to be due to water. Blind number 5 literlally is a puddle about 50 foot long by 30 feet wide if that. Would like to get back out and check out the East Point access before the end of next week.
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby qckhd » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Never did make it out for a boat ride because motor was in the shop and we just got it back about 2 weeks ago. As for blinds being built, they only re-brush the blinds every year unless a blind is in dire need of being replaced it is not touched other than brush. If a blind has little to no water it will not be relocated and if it is deemed un-huntable then it will be pulled from the draw. I will be there this weekend for the youth hunt and will give an update on Monday.
qckhd
hunter

Postby lil_mason09 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Awesome let me know how many blinds will be drawn. And good luck on the youth hunt!
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:40 am

Thanks for the updates. Looks like this could be a tough year for BM. I've had trouble with 5 in the past due to low water. If I remember right, that section is the only section that they don't/can't flood. True?
BRCPres
hunter

Postby lil_mason09 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:56 am

BRC I'm not positive Im not familiar with how they work their pumping system there. All I know is the water is really low on the south end it's going to make things a little difficult but from what I saw there seems to be a good amount of food.
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:13 am

lil_mason09 wrote:BRC I'm not positive Im not familiar with how they work their pumping system there. All I know is the water is really low on the south end it's going to make things a little difficult but from what I saw there seems to be a good amount of food.

I seem to remember Rick at the check station telling me that one season. Thanks for the feedback. I'm ready to get this season going so let's hope we get the weather to cooperate very soon -- aka rain!

Hope you have a good shoot this year! -- Bob
BRCPres
hunter

Postby lil_mason09 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:54 pm

I called down there today and they said all blind will be huntable. He said there may be low water levels but they are hoping mother nature helps us out but they will still draw every blind as of right now. Should be interesting can't wait tho getting close guys! :thumbsup:
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:30 am

That's encouraging news LM. I hope he's right as I know of a couple of blinds that will be tough to use without more water. Thanks for the update.

Has anyone heard about how many birds are using the refuge right now?
BRCPres
hunter

Postby 2takem » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:11 am

You can't always go by this but the survey was just done the other day. I havent been out to scout at all this year. I heard water levels naturally are low but the recent rains should help matters. Emquion is showing a fair amount of ducks so far. I will be at Banner Saturday morning for the Youth Hunt and will post an update.

Hope this helps.............
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/wat ... ct2012.pdf
2takem
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks for the updates. Hope you are successful on Sat. Let's hope those numbers are wrong as they are about half of what the were this time last year.
BRCPres
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Does anyone know how the Youth hunt went on on Sat?
BRCPres
hunter

Postby qckhd » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:31 am

Youth hunt Saturday was not spectacular! I believe only 3 or 4 blinds shot birds. Water levels are down but all blinds are huntable! By the way the only area that gets pumped at Banner is refuge area by 21 and blinds 21, 26, & 15.
qckhd
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:51 am

qckhd wrote:Youth hunt Saturday was not spectacular! I believe only 3 or 4 blinds shot birds. Water levels are down but all blinds are huntable! By the way the only area that gets pumped at Banner is refuge area by 21 and blinds 21, 26, & 15.

Thanks for the update. Do you know which blinds were on the "X"?

Also, do they hunt again on Sunday, or is the youth hunt only one day (Sat)?
BRCPres
hunter

Postby qckhd » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:21 am

Hunted Banner again yesterday for the youth hunt. Not exactly sure what the totals were but son did kill 2 geese. Didn't see many ducks but lots of geese in the area. Hope the weather changes up north or the pressure from north opener pushes some ducks down or it will be slim pickings for the central opener.
qckhd
hunter

Postby 2takem » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:19 am

I took a youngster out to Banner on Saturday and there are very little ducks. He didn't harvest any birds but had a fair chance at a pair of geese. I think over all like someone said prevouisly we saw more geese and snipe than I did ducks. Over all it was good to take a youngster and teach him a few more things about waterfowl as his first hunt was a hunt to remeber (4 teal with one shot and killed a goose as well last year).

Water levels where naturally low but no blinds where held from the draw. I think the biggest thing to remeber for now that the hunters that take boats to most of the blinds may not be able to get through some of the cuts.

The biggest news to hit Banner/Rice Lake and Double T is the Ranger's hours are now going to be 4am to 12pm. You will no longer have to bring your harvest into the check station. They give you a card in the morning and you fill it out and give back to Rick/Mike or Mo and they will put it in the box where you sign in/sign out for deer hunting. You will then have to fill your card out with what you harvested and drop in the wood duck box right behind. Therefore, you will no longer have to give your license while picking a blind, rather you will keep it on you and you can bet there will be more Game Warden's out there checking alot of hunter's. Which I personally like because it will keep the people that dont want to follow the rules out. I believe and dont quote me on this but if you do not fill out your harvest sheet and turn it in, it is an automatic fine. What that fine is I have no idea but the card is pretty self suffiecent if you ask me.

Just praying for lil more rain to fill the lakes, some nasty weather up north and some more ducks! Good luck all
2takem
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Did anyone have a chance to hunt Banner? Anyone hear how they did this opening weekend?
BRCPres
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting