Banner Marsh

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Re: Banner Marsh

Postby 2takem » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:48 pm

I didn't hunt banner but sounds like from the hotline number they didn't far to well. I want to say 70some hunters killed 40 some ducks.
2takem
hunter

Postby qckhd » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:16 am

Banner was pathetic on Sunday!
qckhd
hunter

Postby 2takem » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Yea, it sounds like it. 64h killed only 23 birds. Not a good start to the year. But...........It can only get better! Rice lake and the walkin are not doing that much better from what im hearing.
2takem
hunter

Postby hunter1967 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:13 pm

i heard blinds 1,2,3 and 4 on rice didn't even kill a bird on saturday.....heard big lake was pounding on them though. info was from some patrons at the goose pit in banner so ya never know if its accurate..lol
hunter1967
hunter

Postby qckhd » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:39 am

hunter1967 wrote:i heard blinds 1,2,3 and 4 on rice didn't even kill a bird on saturday.....heard big lake was pounding on them though. info was from some patrons at the goose pit in banner so ya never know if its accurate..lol

I will inquire about these "facts" as I know those who hunt blind 2 and as for Big Lake well I would not be surprised if it is true since there is only one blind that was able to get put out....
qckhd
hunter

Postby lil_mason09 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:23 am

I was there this morning very few ducks saw maybe 300. Had a group ofTeal work us and 2 mallards but nothing would commit. They are already smart, need a goo push of birds before it gets good. Unfortunately we have permits for Saturday and Sunday and it's not looking to good....
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:59 pm

hunter1967 wrote:i heard blinds 1,2,3 and 4 on rice didn't even kill a bird on saturday.....heard big lake was pounding on them though. info was from some patrons at the goose pit in banner so ya never know if its accurate..lol

I heard a blind on big lake had their limit by 7:30 Saturday morning.
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Anyone seeing any migrators coming into the area yet? Or are you only seeing locals?
BRCPres
hunter

Postby likesbigspreads » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:37 pm

waterfowler9 wrote:

I heard a blind on big lake had their limit by 7:30 Saturday morning.

Saturday was a different story. We had a limit by 9 and have only killed about 10 since. There were a lot of new ducks here Sat. morning that I am thinking are gone. My lake was covered up with Redheads and Cans and we barely even see a duck now. Full moon and NW wind sent them south.
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby hunter1967 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:20 pm

yea...we saw quite a few Saturday..but hardly any on Sunday. Maybe if we're lucky, we'll get a little push from Sandy. Hopefully something changes....don't really want to see one BIG push and the end of the season or after the season, but rather multiple little pushes throughout the season...have a feeling I won't be that lucky...
hunter1967
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Anybody hunt Banner this week? I'll be there this weekend and would appreciate an update as I have a couple of young hunters coming with me.

I know the numbers are low, but are you seeing any changes?
BRCPres
hunter

Postby hoyland2004 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:53 pm

If your coming from TN don't. Hunted two days this week with no success. I have hunted thrrr for going on 15 years and this has been one of the hardest. Water is down 2' or so. Most blinds are 10-15feet from the waetr. ere about 200 ducks. More geese. Last couple of days the kill total has been in the single digits. With the mild weather forecasted I don't see it getting any better this week. On a side note it seems like more people hunting with permits this year. I was there on Tuesday and 8 groups were in the permit box with only one in standby. If you are bringing a boat be aware that you can't reach a lot of the blinds off of the main areas. Lots of busting not helping either. I must have heard thirty shots around my blind on Tuesday and 4 ducks were taken. Oh well if you do decide to come good luck and it's better than work right?
ILLINOIS
DM-
HM-
PT-
GAD-
TEAL-
Widg-
WD-
SB-
Divers-
Geese-
Total-
hoyland2004
hunter

Postby lil_mason09 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:52 pm

If your driving from a log distance seriously don't waste your time. I have hunted there 4 times already and in the morning it will be my 5th time. We have shot 3 ducks in that time....I should just stay in bed
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby 2takem » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:40 am

I beleive Banner had a total of 5 hunters on Tuesday from what I hear and only killed one duck. Hopefully end of next week we will get some birds with some colder temps moving in up north early next week.
2takem
hunter

Postby lil_mason09 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:55 am

Takem I was there Tuesday and there were I think 8 groups. And we were high kill with 3 ducks...... Actually should have had a few more but we forgot how to shoot it had been so slow
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby BearDown09 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:38 pm

All of these posts are making me nervous. Myself and a buddy of mine drew for Nov. 18th and I was pretty excited for my first time at Banner. Oh well, hopefully things pick up.
BearDown09
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:32 pm

BearDown09 wrote:All of these posts are making me nervous. Myself and a buddy of mine drew for Nov. 18th and I was pretty excited for my first time at Banner. Oh well, hopefully things pick up.

The water is very low. Very few ducks. Be sure you shoot straight otherwise it's going to be a long day.
BRCPres
hunter

Postby qckhd » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:04 pm

BearDown09 wrote:All of these posts are making me nervous. Myself and a buddy of mine drew for Nov. 18th and I was pretty excited for my first time at Banner. Oh well, hopefully things pick up.

If it cools off like predicted I would think the 18th would be just about right. I will be there the 23rd and then again Dec. 1st and probably a couple of days in between.
qckhd
hunter

Postby ringneck23 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:59 pm

I was there this past weekend and my group shot more than half the birds taken...but that number was in the single digits...just drew a hot blind by luck i guess...very low numbers and sky busters
ringneck23
Newb

Postby BearDown09 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:44 am

How'd everyone fair this weekend?
BearDown09
hunter

Postby 2takem » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:43 pm

BearDown09 wrote:How'd everyone fair this weekend?

We hunted banner on Sunday. Some birds there but they are programmed for the most part, we didnt even pull the trigger.....Its got to get better before it gets worse!

I guess thats why they call it hunting.....but the killing part is fun to!! :yes:
2takem
hunter

Postby BearDown09 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:49 am

2takem wrote:

We hunted banner on Sunday. Some birds there but they are programmed for the most part, we didnt even pull the trigger.....Its got to get better before it gets worse!

I guess thats why they call it hunting.....but the killing part is fun to!! :yes:

Carrying that optimism into the weekend, HAS to get better before it gets worse...right? All I know is I'll be doing this :bow: really early Sunday morning.
BearDown09
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:10 pm

We hunted Fri, Sat, and Sun. Mallards are very shy and would not come out of the Reserve, unless they went straight up to about 200 hundred yards high.

We managed to take one Woody Drake, and I lost a Mallard Drake when it sailed into the river. :rolleyes:

Cold weather on Monday was sounding much better by the totals I heard today. Unfortunately we left on Sunday.
BRCPres
hunter

Postby BearDown09 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:19 am

I need some advice regarding the blinds. We will be there bright and early for the drawing on Sunday (have a permit) and I was wondering if anyone has any opinion on the best blind that we could walk to. I'm not looking for anyone's favorite blind or what has been getting action, I have the map and I'm asking because we will be walking out and I've never been to Banner before. I'm just looking for a suggestion on which blinds we should be asking for based on the fact that we are walking.
BearDown09
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:50 am

BearDown09 wrote:I need some advice regarding the blinds. We will be there bright and early for the drawing on Sunday (have a permit) and I was wondering if anyone has any opinion on the best blind that we could walk to. I'm not looking for anyone's favorite blind or what has been getting action, I have the map and I'm asking because we will be walking out and I've never been to Banner before. I'm just looking for a suggestion on which blinds we should be asking for based on the fact that we are walking.

Sent you a private message (PM). - Bob
BRCPres
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting