Shelbyville Walk-in's

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Shelbyville Walk-in's

Postby ROHR23 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:53 am

Went out last Friday, at least they got some corn planted. Fishhook looks like a joke, was hoping for more. Looks like a small row of corn along the perimeter of the area, McGee is typical, Dunn is packed with corn it appears. However, not much water on any of it. Need some rain to get the rivers up so they can pump. At least we have cover this year, no major flood killing everything then water receding leaving nothing but dirt.
ROHR23
hunter

Re: Shelbyville Walk-in's

Postby asmythe32 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:19 pm

I called them a month ago and the lady told me they were going to pump water "soon" apparently me and her have different understandings of the word "soon" It is good to hear they have some corn planted.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby ROHR23 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Judging from the inflow on the West Okaw or lack there of, I think we need a lot more rain...
ROHR23
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:33 pm

We are set as far as food this year! I have never seen the lake with this much millet in it. While I hope they are able to pump, it will not break my heart if they dont. The lake looks very promising.....
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby E MAN » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:29 pm

let the internet scouters find out for themselves what is going on. remember Rend and
Carlyle are just as low as here and not far away.
E MAN
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:09 pm

Anyone hunt there today? If so how did you do. Going down on tuesday and hoping it hasnt been shot out by then.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby ROHR23 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:53 pm

I heard Stan turned away 30 groups and Dunn and McGee on opening day. I hunted Fishhook both days, of which not all blinds were drawn, got a Gadwall and Drake Woody on Sat and pulled a double on two hen mallards today. I don't know anything about Dunn and McGee, but if you want to hunt Fishhook, you better be ready to plow thru a BUNCH of smartweed. They did not mow and most of the blinds appear to have a lot of smartweed around them, not to mention that it is very difficult to get to them because of no good path.
As for numbers, there were several groups of ducks on Saturday from 6:30 - around 9:00. Today, there were far fewer ducks, but still enough to cause some excitement, hunted from 1/2 hr before to 10:00.
ROHR23
hunter

Postby E MAN » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:03 pm

McGee and Dunn are shot out. Very little movement and shooting. Hunted till 10 today.

Fishhook is almost unhuntable around most stakes. If you drop a bird it is going to be near impossible to find.
Skybusters let it eat on Sat from what I hear. Lots of complaints to the check stations as usual.

Lake was beyond crowded on sat. Was amazed at the number of overnight campers on their boats.
A few teal were around but now they are probably on Carlyle.

shot good and none got out of the hole. managed a few.
let em work.
E MAN
hunter

Postby lostpup » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:06 am

E MAN wrote:McGee and Dunn are shot out. Very little movement and shooting. Hunted till 10 today.

Fishhook is almost unhuntable around most stakes. If you drop a bird it is going to be near impossible to find.
Skybusters let it eat on Sat from what I hear. Lots of complaints to the check stations as usual.

Lake was beyond crowded on sat. Was amazed at the number of overnight campers on their boats.

let em work.

Divert,disguise, and avoid love the tatic E MAN :yes:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby E MAN » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:13 pm

i only speak the truth. i was there.
E MAN
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:44 pm

hunted on tuesday and sat of last week. Tuesday was windy as heck, saw a few birds and they responded well to the call. Got one to get withing shooting range but wasnt able to drop it. the spot we hunted as our third choice but we got there late and that was our fault. Sat we got there way early thinking that it would be busy again since it was the weekend. It wasnt. We had a few groups move around but it was a pretty slow day. The rain sucked. going again thursday in hopes it will get better. Anyone having any luck at fishhook?
asmythe32
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:35 am

E MAN wrote:McGee and Dunn are shot out. Very little movement and shooting. Hunted till 10 today.

let em work.

Some of the very best years at the walk-ins were ones where there was NO CORN at all and the fields were weed infested messes.
I'd go to Shelbyville and see if it didn't take cash out of my Arkansas war-fund.
If you guys can hunt it the last week of November and first week of December...GO! That's generally when the ducks show up in numbers.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby ROHR23 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:34 am

Always stuck on 2 birds. Went Sunday got a hen mall and a garbage duck (spoon). Apparently there is a new blind in between 8 and 7, guys on a boat parked it there and hunted. I guess the 15 day rule doesn't apply to them...
ROHR23
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 am

The rules used to be a bit different. (when we had 3 zones)
You had to hunt by the stakes until the south-zone opener.
Maybe them guys were cornfused?
aunt betty

Postby ROHR23 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:07 am

Fortunately, they have the rules posted on the sign with the map of the locations as well. So illiterate would be a better term...However they did have a kid with them and they got some ducks so I can cut them a break.
ROHR23
hunter

Postby E MAN » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:21 pm

love the situation at the hook this year. just wish they would have taken an hour with the bushhog to make a few single boat lanes like they used to. u can't tell me they didn't have the time or money for that. those weeds are hard on little motors. not afraid to walk tho. got (2) double jogging strollers fixed up. you guys gotta get one. cats meow.
E MAN
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:16 am

hey public land is full of dumb butts. im down here in tx we had teal swimming in decoys u cld just barely make them out when the guys opened up 15 min before lst around the cove from us. so see they cant tell time either!!!
ROHR23 wrote:Fortunately, they have the rules posted on the sign with the map of the locations as well. So illiterate would be a better term...However they did have a kid with them and they got some ducks so I can cut them a break.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Shelbyville gets way easier as the fair-weather hunters seek warm dry places.
You keep going and you'll have it all to yourself at least one or two days. (weekdays)
aunt betty

Postby asmythe32 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:17 pm

aunt betty wrote:Shelbyville gets way easier as the fair-weather hunters seek warm dry places.
You keep going and you'll have it all to yourself at least one or two days. (weekdays)

Had it to ourselves today and managed two mallards and a spoonbill!!! Saw more birds than I have in a while
asmythe32
hunter

Postby E MAN » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:10 pm

super slow. didn't see 20 where we were at. 6 took the bait though.
E MAN
hunter

Postby ROHR23 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:05 pm

Hear ya there, group of gads came in 3 didnt leave. First triple.
ROHR23
hunter

Postby E MAN » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:14 pm

heard very little shooting. maybe just no one hunting in the area. 3 mallards is it for 2 guys. had the place to ourselves. just no workers. saw a couple nice bunches early. then dead. going to the big water next.
E MAN
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:07 pm

got another question for you boys up there. what is smart weed? ive googled it and it sounds/looks like a good thing. but i keep hearing that people are losing birds in it and cant get to blinds because of it? i know any grass can be hard on small motors. but shouldnt a dog be able to find the birds?
frydaddy
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:27 pm

oh and i would have asked stan but he is on vacation and the lady at the dnr office is the one that said people where complaining about losing the birds.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby lostpup » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Smart weed is a food and ducks love it. Problem people have is that with the low water the smart weed is thick and if birds fall in it the get lost. Wounded and you are in for a near impossible task. A dog will help and alot of times find the birds unless they dive and hold on under water on the weeds. It's a good problem to have . Seems most people just want things to be easier on them and mow paths to navigate thru. Taking the difference between lots of smart weed or no food at all and bare banks I'm pretty sure everyone would take the weeds !
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting