Season getting close

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Season getting close

Postby duckhntr82 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:22 pm

Seems that yet another year has flew by.........Everyone getting ready for the upcoming season......Its about that time to starting working on the boat blind and start picking through all the decoys to restring. Throw the ones that the new guy shot holes in into the trash or try to fix them. So much to do.

how about everyone else?
Scott Juda
duckhntr82
hunter
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Romeoville IL


Postby fish » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:03 pm

we also already started working on the boat to get it ready for this year. we started fixing all the flaws that we figured out from last year. we also are trying to come up with a way to haul 2 puddlers above the truck bed. we are looking at making a rack above the bed similar to a ladder rack. if anybody has any suggestions or ideas please let me know. season will be here before you know it.

also for all the people who hunt in the southern zone, what do you guys think about opening day being on thanksgiving day again this year. i can't decide which one i like better. either way i will be hunting and take off work.

thanks
fish
fish
hunter
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:40 pm
Location: southern illinois

Southern zone

Postby bigman15 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:04 pm

Opening day is good no matter when it is , but I live around carlyle and I watch the lake fill up with birds only to see a strong cold front come in and send them South without us even getting a shot at them, Then soon the walk in freezes and there goes our season, it has been that way the past two seasons, It is totaly to late to start the season period. I know I sound like a broken record but I am so upset about it.
User avatar
bigman15
hunter
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:00 am
Location: Carlyle Lake

Re: Southern zone

Postby thebiggrfigr » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:54 pm

bigman15 wrote:Opening day is good no matter when it is , but I live around carlyle and I watch the lake fill up with birds only to see a strong cold front come in and send them South without us even getting a shot at them, Then soon the walk in freezes and there goes our season, it has been that way the past two seasons, It is totaly to late to start the season period. I know I sound like a broken record but I am so upset about it.
All I have to say, and i dont mind sounding like a broken record, the later the starting date the better. Keep in mind I do the majority of my hunting below rt 13. I truly believe Carlyle should be in the central, then you guys would have the dates you want and us boys from the south will get ours.
thebiggrfigr
hunter
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:39 am
Location: illinois

Re: Southern zone

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:48 am

bigman15 wrote:Opening day is good no matter when it is , but I live around carlyle and I watch the lake fill up with birds only to see a strong cold front come in and send them South without us even getting a shot at them, Then soon the walk in freezes and there goes our season, it has been that way the past two seasons, It is totaly to late to start the season period. I know I sound like a broken record but I am so upset about it.

"A stong cold front "? When? I'm not trying to pick a fight, but Carlyle isn't in the great white north. And if there was such a big cold front, where exactly are these brids going to? Cause they certainly don't come down to Crab or Horseshoe or Mermet.
I personally think they should put Carlyle and Rend in the central zone, mostly because it would make my season longer. Those two areas are where we get our complaints each year. Send Rend and up into the central and open our season around December 1st, is what i say! LOL
As far as getting ready for the season......I haven't yet begun. Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:18 am

Postby Goose Killer from Illinoi » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:20 pm

I cant wait till the season is here. Every opening day is always somting that keeps me up all night the whole week before it is even here. Even if it is not so good weather for the opener I still LOVE it!!! Just being back in the boat, field, blind with good friends, a good dog, and a shotgun is all I need to make my opener great. And if we kill a couple fat mallards and a few local geese that makes the day even better. Opening day for me is like Christmas for others, I am like a little kid in a candy store all over again. Good Luck guys this season and always hunt hard but most of all HUNT SAFE!!! Lets kill'em this year!!!!

Goose Killer from Illinois :cool:
Wow stupid is as stupid does

I just want to go hunting!!!!!!
User avatar
Goose Killer from Illinoi
hunter
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Farmland Illinois

Postby fish » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:31 pm

i personally like the time of the season. i never hunt at carlyle or rend, but i here people complaining about the time of the season. the season is great for the lower half of the southern zone. we hunt opening weekend of southern zone in the northern part, but after that down south. i am really looking forward to duck season, but we got teal and dove season coming to really get the blood pumping...
fish
fish
hunter
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:40 pm
Location: southern illinois

Postby GooseBuster » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:21 pm

chrispbrown27 wrote:"A stong cold front "? When? I'm not trying to pick a fight, but Carlyle isn't in the great white north. And if there was such a big cold front, where exactly are these brids going to? Cause they certainly don't come down to Crab or Horseshoe or Mermet.
I personally think they should put Carlyle and Rend in the central zone, mostly because it would make my season longer. Those two areas are where we get our complaints each year. Send Rend and up into the central and open our season around December 1st, is what i say! LOL
As far as getting ready for the season......I haven't yet begun. Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?
Chris


Chris did you hunt the beggining of the season last year? I don't know about you, but by the first week of December I was standing on 3 inches of ice out in front of my duck blind. Nothing like being froze out just two weeks into the season. All the birds were gone by me before I could even get to open water. I do agree with you though it would have been better for all if Carlyle and even Rend were put into the Central zone. I think Mr. Sam Flood had the oportuninty to fix the whole zone / date controversy but instead went against the advisory board and dropped the ball. Hell with the changes they made, now they even screwed up Modoc hunting. I here the clubs there aren't too happy about the changes. Nothing like losing a month of your season.
As far as getting ready for the season goes, I have the decoys already pulled out and will be cleaning them up this weekend. With early goose season just around the corner you can never be too prepared.
GooseBuster
hunter
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:20 pm
Location: Fairview Heights, IL

Postby wtrfwlr » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:15 am

I hunt rend and down around carbondale. I have no complaints just gotta know where to go and how to do it. Southern zone seems to hardly freeze and if it does freeze it's open in two days.
wtrfwlr
hunter
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:14 pm

Postby thebiggrfigr » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:43 am

wtrfwlr wrote:I hunt rend and down around carbondale. I have no complaints just gotta know where to go and how to do it. Southern zone seems to hardly freeze and if it does freeze it's open in two days.

Yeah, I agree with you wtrfwlr. If and when we do see a freeze it doesnt last much longer than 4-5days. When that happens, hell, I just find some moving water. I don't necessarily "slay em" but I bag one or two each time out. To move the South dates because Carlyle is freezing up would be a travesty to those of us who are in the "true" south zone!
thebiggrfigr
hunter
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:39 am
Location: illinois

Postby DRYLOK » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:35 pm

thebiggrfigr wrote:
wtrfwlr wrote:I hunt rend and down around carbondale. I have no complaints just gotta know where to go and how to do it. Southern zone seems to hardly freeze and if it does freeze it's open in two days.

Yeah, I agree with you wtrfwlr. If and when we do see a freeze it doesnt last much longer than 4-5days. When that happens, hell, I just find some moving water. I don't necessarily "slay em" but I bag one or two each time out. To move the South dates because Carlyle is freezing up would be a travesty to those of us who are in the "true" south zone!


I think when most folks talk about Carlyle locking up, they are talking about the impoundments not the main lake. I do not hunt Carlyle much anymore but I have always thought it should be in the central zone.
As far as the rest of the deal I am a later season fan. Let the seasons change with the weather patterns.
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
User avatar
DRYLOK
hunter
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:14 pm
Location: Central IL

Postby Goose Killer from Illinoi » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:12 am

Lets GO HUNTING BABY!!!!!!

Cant wait till it here each passing day I am at work I think we are just one more day closer to the season!!!

I think I have a sickness..........................GOOSEHUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow stupid is as stupid does

I just want to go hunting!!!!!!
User avatar
Goose Killer from Illinoi
hunter
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Farmland Illinois


Return to Illinois Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests