boat blind hunting on the fox chain

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Postby a5puddlejumper » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Since my hole is dried out this year i am going to finally go for it and set up my boat and hunt in bigger water. Ive done the leg work and talked to the waterway agency and know where all there blind sites are and a couple dnr officers just to cover my bases. For the most part almost all the good near shore spots are all taken so ill be spending most of my time out in the open. Any suggestions or tips from anyone who has hunted on the chain from a boat blind? Im not new to hunting open water but it was always from a fixed blind. Should i set up for cross wind shot or with the blind facing into the wind? :help:
a5puddlejumper
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:59 am

Facing into the wind? No. You always want the wind into your back. Ducks land into the wind. Pick your days. The chain can get pretty hairy, many experienced boaters have gotten into trouble.

There are some spots out there that are near shore and still hunt-able. Google maps. It's your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Re: boat blind hunting on the fox chain

Postby lckstckn2smknbrls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:23 am

The fox waterway blinds are not like the DNR controlled blinds in the state park in that you can't occupy a unused blind. You can however set up right in front of an unused blind and hunt. If the blind owner shows up to hunt you will have to move to another spot.
lckstckn2smknbrls
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:41 pm

i boat blind all over the chain.. i wouldnt try in anything under 16' boat. the foxwaterway blinds are private and you cant use them.. but you can set up by them as long as they are not hunting it but if they do show up than you will have to pack up. the grasslake blinds are the public ones. it can get pretty choppy out there on windy days. so if you head out in a 14' jon or a old flimsy jon and winds pick up to 30mph.. you will be swiming back. pistakee and fox get the biggest waves. grasslake,marie,catherine are much calmer.. watch out for shore hunters also some people hunt right of thier peirs and backyards.
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby GunnersDad » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Side wind shoots are fine. Not trying to come off as a know it all but I personally prefer the sun at my back. I've seen it time and time again where not only were ducks seeing hunter's shining faces but hunters having a difficult time seeing approaching birds. Wind at your back is great IF you're well hidden. Most winds are Northwest during hunts and you're looking into the sun and shining like a diamond. Just my 2¢…
GunnersDad
hunter

Postby a5puddlejumper » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I have one question i couldn't get a strait answer from the waterway agency. Is hunting on nippersink ok? I know there are a couple state park blinds on the north western shore but what about the cat tail island on the western shore or the cattails and treeline just north of the lake county sheriffs channel? is that still state park hunting area or fox waterway?
a5puddlejumper
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:42 am

cant hunt nippersink. only the state blinds on north side. something about nippersink bieng state property. there is a guy who hunts nippersink off his back yard over by the sherrifs office. just south of the channel. he can only hunt from his peir because 10 yrds north of him the state property starts in the ceter of that channel. the cat tail island is state property too. plus the boat traffic on nippersink is crazy. best bet is too look into grasslake blinds there is alot of them and always an open blind,
malrdmasher
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting