Duck hunting pool 13

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Duck hunting pool 13

Postby Sfd714 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:48 pm

Im new to hunting ducks and iv ben wanting to do it for years. I have a gun a dog and a boat. So im not really sure what all i need. Any help would be really appreciated.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
Sfd714
hunter

Re: Re: Duck hunting pool 13

Postby Blackcloud870 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:58 am

Sfd714 wrote:Im new to hunting ducks and iv ben wanting to do it for years. I have a gun a dog and a boat. So im not really sure what all i need. Any help would be really appreciated.

Sfd714,
Not trying to sound like a d#$*, but Opening day is in exactly 6 days, and you are just now trying to figure out what you need to duck hunt :huh: My friend, you are waaaaaay behind schedule if you want to hunt that body of water. I say that with the utmost concern for your safety, and respect for the Hunters around you, as that area is not only super crowded on most days, but it is nothing short of treacherous when the winds pick up.
My suggestion to you, do some homework, buy a couple dozen decoys, practice calling both ducks and geese, and talk to some other duck Hunters in the area you can find them at any of the landings.
If you are going to ignore my suggestions, I would suggest that you first try down at Potters Marsh after opening day where permanent blinds are still legal. Anywhere else, you are required to have a boat blind, or you will quickly end up ticking a lot of people off, and lets face it, I don't want you to end up being "that guy".
Best of luck to you sir. :thumbsup:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Re: Duck hunting pool 13

Postby Sfd714 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:14 am

I got a few buddies to go with but they to haveu never hunted the river. I know my way around the river pretty decent. Spend all summer on it fishing and running trot line.

Sfd714
hunter

Postby justinduckman7 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Get their early is all I can tell you and know where to go cause its crazy up their on opening day . Good luck and be safe . I'm only brave enough to go up their bout once a yr and that is to hunt with a good friend of mine and my cousin who use to have a permenant blind up that way .
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:45 am

As I said before this place is treacherous.....

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=612994

I was not out there this weekend but I spoke with a couple of buddies who were and it was perfectly clear and there was ZERO Wind that night/morning. It is a shame that these guys had to lose their lives, but I was NOT kidding when I said, you had better know those waters well before attempting to duck hunt out there. :no:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby justinduckman7 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:01 pm

Very sad cause one of them that was hurt was my wifes best friend little nephew he is 10yr old and recovering in iowa city from brain surgery so please keep him in your prayer thank you. It killed me to hear what happened cause i know how much my six year old enjoys going we are plan on going in bout a hr when she is out of school.
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting