Questions about youth hunting

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Questions about youth hunting

Postby imboray » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:24 am

I have a couple questions I was hoping someone could help me with, thanks in advanced.

1. Do you have to have one adult per youth hunter during youth season?

2. Can someone under 16 hunt by themselves or with others under 16 if they have their FOID and liscense during regular season?
Last edited by imboray on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
imboray
hunter

Re: Questions about youth hunting

Postby smr_hunter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:10 am

Youth Waterfowl Hunting Day Regulations
1. Youth hunters must be 15 years of age or younger and must have a hunting license and HIP
registration/certification unless hunting on property where they reside. No stamps are required
for youths under 16.
2. Only geese, ducks, mergansers and coots may be taken in addition to other game in season.
3. An adult at least 18 years of age must accompany the youth hunter into the field. This adult
cannot hunt geese, ducks, coots or mergansers but can participate in other open seasons.
4. Zone lines for Youth Waterfowl Hunt follow duck zone lines.
YOUTH WATERFOWL HUNTING DAYS*
smr_hunter
Newb

Postby imboray » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:43 am

Do you interpret #3 to mean one adult per kid?
imboray
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:35 pm

I think there just has to be an adult in the blind with them. I would imagine if a guy had two or three children and they all went hunting they wouldnt make the guy bring two buddies.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby qckhd » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:01 pm

As long as AN ADULT 18 or older is in the blind then up to 4 youth can hunt. I have taken 4 youth out and was the only adult in the blind so YES only one adult has to be present.

Here is what I do not understand, any 15 or younger can hunt the youth hunt but must be accompanied by an adult 18 or older but now my 16 year old son can not hunt the youth hunt or by himself. My son is more responsible than some adults. In my honest opinion if someone is not of age to hunt by themselves then they should be allowed to hunt the youth hunt and if they are to old to hunt the youth hunt then they should be allowed to hunt on their own!
qckhd
hunter

Postby rism » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:21 am

I think I checked this out before but would like to hear from some authority on it. If you are 16 you can hunt by yourself AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A FOID CARD. ?????????
rism
hunter

Postby imboray » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:52 am

Talked to CPO today regarding these issues. I was told that my 15 year old could hunt by himself as long as he had a FOID card, he didn't seem to think age mattered as long as he was properly liscened & had a gun card. Also he could hunt with a fellow youth as long as he also had a FOID.

Secondly he said that during youth season the hunter/youth ratio doesn't have to be 1/1 as long as there is an 18+ year old with proper liscense to run the show there could be multiple youths
imboray
hunter

Postby TJP » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:02 pm

In my opinion, the best way to avoid any problems is to call your local CO and get his interpretation of the rules. He'll be the one enforcing any laws or regulations, so if you can get the info straight from his mouth you will be able to "KNOW" what will be deemed illegal or subject you to getting in trouble.
TJP
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting