Calhoon County WMA's

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

Calhoon County WMA's

Postby greenhead1987 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:10 am

Hello all,

I am planning on making a trip up to Calhoon County to do some hunting before my season comes in here in the south zone. I have been doing some research and have found that there are a ton a blinds that are drawn for on a three year period. I was also told that the empty ones are drawn for on a daily basis 30 min before shooting time. Another option on the table is hunting the walk in areas, but I am afraid most will be dry. I normally hunt from my boat and would like to do that if possible but can't find anything on boat hunting. It seems you either have to walk in or hunt a blind/draw stake.

I guess my question is, in your opinoin, which would be the best option for me (driving 3 hours); show up and try to draw an empty blind, walk in to one of the walk-in areas and try to find water, or are there areas on the river that I am able to hunt from my boat and use my big motor??

I realize the water is low this year and it is going to be very crowded, same goes for everywhere in the state this year, but I think this would be a fun to hunt/learn a new area while my season in the south isn't in.

Some other questions I have:
(Plan on hunting everything south of Rip Rap Landing)

Where exactly are the daily blind drawings held?

Are there any areas of the river that are open to boat hunting without having to be on a draw blind or stake?

I have tried to get a hold of the DNR office up there with no luck due to my work schedule and the state work schedule :lol3:

Thanks for everything!

Please don't take me as an internet scouter! Only wanting advice on rules and regs that are unclear on the IDNR site.
greenhead1987
hunter

Re: Calhoon County WMA's

Postby Grossy23 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:30 am

Boy , your asking a lot of questions . Some areas have check stations , others do not . Draw time is one hour before LST . Blind builders must check their blind in before that time or their blind is in the draw for the day . Some areas require two boats or hunters must pull the boat over levees on rollers . We don't have any blinds at the river this allocation , we got skunked at the draw so I don't know river levels or if the DNR is pumping the walk ins . Hope this helps . :thumbsup:
Grossy23
hunter

Postby imboray » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:31 am

If you go to the blind draws at Calhoun Point, you stand a pretty good chance of drawing a blind if you go during the week. On the weekend its not worth the 3 hr drive because all the good ones are signed up & the rest are generally not worth having.
imboray
hunter

Postby greenhead1987 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:59 am

Well thanks for the info, but I unfortunately work during the week and will only be able to hunt on the weekends. I realize that I will more than likely not be able to get one of the best blinds that the WMA's have. I am just worried about not getting a spot all together.
greenhead1987
hunter

Postby CutEmUp89 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:04 am

If your going to try and find a blind at Rip Rap, blinds 5, 6, 10, 29, 30, 31, and one more across from 10 to the east I don't remember the number. I know blind builders on 10, 30, and 31. I don't think you'll be able to hunt them but like the guy said in the previous post to be there and hour before LST and just wait and see what blinds aren't tagged. Good luck and from the last time I heard the water levels weren't what the hunters were hoping it to be but it should be full by opening day, which is October 27th.
Phillip Price

Fowl Obession Duck & Goose Calls Staff

Kill em' with their feet down, and wings cupped!

"I guess no one knows about Mo Booter?"
CutEmUp89
hunter

Postby CutEmUp89 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:05 am

I forgot to mention those blinds that I named are all walk-in blinds.
Phillip Price

Fowl Obession Duck & Goose Calls Staff

Kill em' with their feet down, and wings cupped!

"I guess no one knows about Mo Booter?"
CutEmUp89
hunter

Postby greenhead1987 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:29 am

Well thanks for all of the info!!

I was wanting to try to come up on the 27th but I realize that there is almost no chance of getting a blind. Thats why I was asking about the free lance hunting in that area as my back up plan so that I atleast would get to hunt.
greenhead1987
hunter

Postby greenhead1987 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:50 am

So, I also read that in the walk-in areas you are limited to 24 decoys. Is that the case for the draw blinds as well?
greenhead1987
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:13 pm

No , it is not.
Grossy23
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting