Grass Lake hunting

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Grass Lake hunting

Postby dknapp821 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:40 am

Hey everyone! My name is Don, I'm 26, and this is my first year hunting. I don't have anyone in my family or anyone I know that hunts so I've been sorta figuring this all out on my own. I've been planning this out for a long time now and I'm excited my first hunting season is here. I've been squirrel hunting already this year and I'm beyond hooked. My biggest interest is waterfowl hunting. I have a 14 foot Jon boat and some decoys. I've been looking around for places to hunt and the chain looks like it could be a good option since I'm only about 45 mins from there. I've been reading these forums for a while and it seems I should be able to get a blind during the week. Only problem is I don't have a dog to take out yet. My question is would it be possible to hunt the chain without a dog? Or is it shallow enough to walk out and retreive the birds myself? Also any other advice for a beginner hunter would be GREATLY appreciated. It's tough learning this without someone to mentor me but I'm just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can at this point.

Thank you!
dknapp821
Newb

Re: Grass Lake hunting

Postby bigthreeforlife » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:59 pm

No you don't need a dog, some of the blinds are shallow enough to walk around but most are not. You can just use your boat to retrieve your birds, especially if its just you because that'd only be 6 ducks and 2 geese for a limit.
bigthreeforlife
hunter

Postby bigthreeforlife » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:06 pm

Is grass lake legal shooting time to SUNSET or 1PM? Most state sites are 1PM, but it looks like the hunters fact sheet shows until sunset in Section F, point 1.

http://dnr.state.il.us/Lands/landmgt/hu ... sslake.htm
bigthreeforlife
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Normal shooting times. No dog needed. There is always open blinds during the week. state park has free launch. Chain can get real choppy on windy days so smaller boats travel with caution. A lot of sky busters on graslake . know your shot limits. Try to keep them at 50yrd and closer
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby WTRlabDOG » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:14 pm

Welcome to the sport.

First, I'm 26 as well and have been hunting for 14 years and I don't know it all. I know this sounds bad, but you need to at least try and find someone in the area to go with you. However, like myself since I've moved this is not always possible.

You will learn a lot of stuff at the draws just talking with guys. Of course some guys won't tell you there spots, but other guys will at least tell you of dangers and just little tips for each area ie Grass lake.

If your hunting by yourself it is going to take years for you to learn what works best for you. Again this sucks, but we've all been there. Each area is different.

The most important thing is to take your time and stay safe. Some guys will do just about anything to get their spot no duck is worth messing with some of the idiots in this sport
Please check out my website @ http://www.capitol-outdoorsman..com

Follow me on twitter @capitoloutdoors
Follow me on facebook @ capitoloutdoorsman
WTRlabDOG
hunter

Postby labs17 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:44 pm

I agree that it makes sense to try to get a solid understanding through finding a partner or attending the draws etc. The Chain is a pretty big body of water and like much of IL public hunting has a number of rules/regs that are not fully laid out. For example, there are a number of blinds that you will almost always be available. There are, however, a number of areas on the Chain that are not open for "claiming". Some islands etc. are not public so you really need to understand what is and isn't available.
Just my thoughts
labs17
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:52 am

only grasslake blinds are public, all others are private, all islands are private, :fingerpt:
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:56 pm

The lake can get dangerous when it's windy. I don't know that I would take a 14 footer out there but you would know your boat better than me. Also, the bottom is muck, i wouldnt get out of my boat out there and theres really no need to. Good luck and be safe
Yoda
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting