Banner Marsh Questions

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

Banner Marsh Questions

Postby boogs13 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:00 pm

I got lucky and drew a blind for Banner. I've never been there so I have some questions I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to answer (I emailed the DNR and got no response).

1. Does the permit holder have to be present ?

2. Is a boat required ?

3. Do the blinds have a spot for dogs ?

4. Are decoys provided ?

5. What if we are unable to go ?

6. How far is it from parking to the blind ?

What else do I need to know ?

Thanks !
boogs13
hunter

Re: Banner Marsh Questions

Postby Kesselmayern » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:31 pm

This will be my first year at banner as well. I know that the permit holder has to be present, and when I called the site office I was told that you do not need a boat for most blinds. I'm not sure about decoys or a spot for a dog though.
Kesselmayern
hunter

Postby remingtonarms38 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:25 pm

Does the permit holder have to be present ? yes permit holder has to be present to claim a blind from the permit box. If the person with the permit is not present then you are thrown out of the permit draw box. This does not mean you can't get a blind; you simply just need to fill out slip and can be put in the public draw when the permit holders are finished drawing.

2. Is a boat required ? Not for all blinds; every blind except three have boats at the blind. The three blinds without a boat are only accessible by personal boat other than these three blinds every blind has a boat and oars provided.

3. Do the blinds have a spot for dogs ? The blinds do not have dog boxes like most public blinds. Some blinds are tighter than others and would be pretty snug/dangerous with a dog. Unless you want to take a dog blind I would suggest not taking a dog.

4. Are decoys provided ? Decoys can be borrowed for the day from the check station. You sign them out and can use their decoys (they are not the best decoys, but guess if you dont have any of your own there better than nothing). Most people use there own decoys.

5. What if we are unable to go ? If your not able to go there is no penalty to you. You simply lose your permit for the day.

6. How far is it from parking to the blind ? Parking from the blinds vary from 100 yards to over a mile. Different blinds are different distances depending on which blind you choose. I would say other than a handful of blinds be prepared to have a good hall to most blinds. Which is sometimes a pain and a lot of work with decoys, guns, shell bags, and what ever else you might need to carry to the blind.

What else do I need to know ? Some other tips is some of the blinds are very very very deep. I would suggest asking the DRN personal if it is safe to wade. Sometimes the blinds can be 3 feet in one area and drop off to 15 feet quickly. I would make sure you know it is 10$ per day per person to hunt as well permit or no permit. The money goes to the DNR for blind expensies, oars, boats, and other misc things. The Draw is at 5 am every morning no dependance on shooting time. If you have a permit make sure your there on time cause they draw right on the dot.

P.S. pm me with any further questions or if I can help ya out with anything else :thumbsup: .
remingtonarms38
hunter

Postby sgtmac1 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:43 pm

Other things: the drawing for permit holders is at 5 am every morning, this means that you have to have turned your permit into the check station guys before then with the names of your hunting partners(up to four hunters in a blind)to be in the permit drawing which comes before the general draw for the non-permit holders. When your card is called, you get to select one of the 26 blinds(#26 is the handicap accessible blind and will be automatically given to a disabled permit holder or by agreement amongst the hunters present to a hunter who is not very mobile)which hasn't been chosen for your days hunt. The check station no longer keeps a daily kill sheet and the hot blind yesterday may not do anything today. Weather, good calling, a nice spread of decoys, etc. may or may not make any difference. Blinds 13, 18, and 17(I think) are only accessible by your own boat, blind 23 is over a mile walk and is much easier to get to by private boat. The state boats are well used and some have crappy oar locks. Most people bring some kind of transport system as you are not allowed to drive to the blinds and drop off your stuff-a deer cart or small yard cart in your pickup can make a big difference in hauling the stuff duck hunters like to have(lots of decoys including geese, mojos, shell bag, gun, food, thermos, heater, etc.) Also, no ATV's. You can back pack it in and there is sheet at the check station which tells the approximate distance to each blind from its parking space. Dogs can be a great asset as chasing a cripple into the brush near the blinds can keep downed birds from going to waste. Banner used to plant duck food but I believe they stopped doing that several years ago due to budget restrictions. With the low water conditions, there may or may not be any ducks holding at Banner; last year was supposed to be a great one and yet, the ducks didn't really start migrating down until the season was over. There are lots of gadwalls around Banner, some mallards and canvasbacks, teal and wood ducks early on, and you usually see some geese. DON'T shoot at any swans as there will be a nice fine waiting for you at the check station and don't turn in any grebes thinking they were coots. Also, pelicans frequent the area so don't unload on one thinking it's a wierd looking snow goose. If you haven't hunted at Banner before, ask some of the guys there as most any of us will be glad to help. If you are short on hunting partners, there is usually some single hunters on any given day. And weekends and holidays are the most frequent times for everybody to hunt, so even having a permit may get you the last pull out of the cage. Again, if you need more information, just ask. Good luck...
sgtmac1
hunter

Postby Kesselmayern » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:37 am

I'm still in the process of getting all my decoys ready since i'm going to school in Wisconsin and I am only home about once or twice a month. With the low water this year how long of cord do think I'll need on my decoys?
Kesselmayern
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:42 am

Kesselmayern wrote:I'm still in the process of getting all my decoys ready since i'm going to school in Wisconsin and I am only home about once or twice a month. With the low water this year how long of cord do think I'll need on my decoys?

It really depends on which blind you draw. I typically have most of mine 6-7' long. I keep a set of Magnum Cans at 12-15'. I also have a set of 6 Puddlers set at 8-10'
BRCPres
hunter

Postby qckhd » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:32 am

I agree, it all depends on what blind you hunt. I have decoys set anywhere from 3-4 feet to over 40 feet. If you do not know the area that well PLEASE do not try and wade but instead USE the row boat that is provided! Stay safe and happy hunting!
qckhd
hunter

Postby Kesselmayern » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:15 am

Alright thanks for the info. This is my first year getting back into waterfowl hunting so hopefully this is a great season
Kesselmayern
hunter

Postby boogs13 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks for the responses. It helps alot !
boogs13
hunter

Postby qckhd » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Just curious as to what days anyone has permits for Banner?

If you are hesitant to go hunt by yourself or have a spot open I would be willing to help or hunt and meet new people. With my current work schedule I have 3 day weekends until end of the year.
qckhd
hunter

Postby Kesselmayern » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:39 pm

qckhd wrote:Just curious as to what days anyone has permits for Banner?

If you are hesitant to go hunt by yourself or have a spot open I would be willing to help or hunt and meet new people. With my current work schedule I have 3 day weekends until end of the year.

I have permits for November 24, and then December 22,23,24. I've got a full blind for the 24th, but if the lakes are not frozen over for my last three i'll have spots open more than likely. This is my first year getting back into waterfowl hunting again, other than one hunt last year. I'd be more than willing to take someone more experienced than myself along for a hunt if I have an open spot and you are interested.
Kesselmayern
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting