Feds

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Feds

Postby asmythe32 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:32 pm

The federal wardens were out this weekend on the upper illinois river. Just want to let you guys know. They checked the club we were at and the club next to us. No one got pinched but I am sure they will still be around for the central opener. Stay legal boys!
asmythe32
hunter

Re: Feds

Postby ctmsnow32 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:25 pm

Glad to hear they're out. Keeping people honest. I'm tired of hearing everyone's stories of "getting away with one". Stay home if you can't respect and obey the laws.
ctmsnow32
hunter

Postby ROHR23 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:16 am

Brother said in the Outdoor Illinois paper that a group of guys shot a mallard drake during teal season. Uh...whoops...if you can't tell a mallard drake from a teal, stay home please.
ROHR23
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:53 am

I agree about being legal but there are some laws that need to be repealed
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby TJP » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 am

DRYLOK wrote:I agree about being legal but there are some laws that need to be repealed

Interesting... please elaborate.
TJP
hunter

Postby CutEmUp89 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 am

DRYLOK wrote:I agree about being legal but there are some laws that need to be repealed

explain your reason why??
CutEmUp89
hunter

Re: Re: Feds

Postby huntall6 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:43 pm

CutEmUp89 wrote:

explain your reason why??

Dozen decoy law on public ground.
Mallard hen limits.
Anchor has to be dropped and all motion ceased to shoot cripples

Thats just to name a few.
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby lostpup » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Huntall I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but of those 3 hen limit is the only law. You don't have to drop anchor and doz decoy is not all public land.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DRYLOK » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:40 pm

Seperation of game
3 shells in gun
Parts of the fed law regarding baiting need to not be repealed but just amended to clear up the language
There are all sorts of local laws on certain bodies of water like HP limits

I'm just not a big fan of laws in general because so many of them are draconian, redundant and often times only in place as a revenue generator. The other reason I don't like these kinds of laws is that in todays society we see all the time of actual violent criminals going in and out the revolving doors of our judicial system when they should have their asses in jail with the key thrown away but they don't. But then somebody fails to seperate their game or shoots one over or something and they'll run that guy through the ringers. There are acceptions but the only laws we really need in a free republic are the 10 commandments and the bill of rights.
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:55 pm

lostpup wrote:Huntall I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but of those 3 hen limit is the only law. You don't have to drop anchor and doz decoy is not all public land.

I must have been misreading when I read it then. Either way, it sucks that I cant do that stuff where I hunt!

Oh, and group limiting should be alright as well.

huntall6
State Moderator

Postby lostpup » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:09 am

I am in agreeance with you all that there are many redundant laws set up way to vague. It seems to me they are written for the CPO's to interput the way they want to fit whatever situation they need. I was just busting your boys !
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:21 am

I guess if you don't possess the shooting skills to kill your own birds, a group limit sounds pretty good. Personally, I'll shoot my own birds, thank you.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby Fowl Fanatic » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:58 am

riverrat47 wrote:I guess if you don't possess the shooting skills to kill your own birds, a group limit sounds pretty good. Personally, I'll shoot my own birds, thank you.

I dont get your point. If you are a good shot you would get to shoot more ducks with a group limit. A poor shooter gets to shoot more without group limits. Unless you are saying your a bad shot and you dont want someone else shooting your birds.
Fowl Fanatic
hunter

Postby TJP » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:41 pm

You should be satisfied if you're able to shoot your own limit. If you need to shoot another man's limit too, are you there for the hunt or are you there to kill things?
TJP
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:28 pm

DRYLOK wrote:Seperation of game
3 shells in gun
Parts of the fed law regarding baiting need to not be repealed but just amended to clear up the language
There are all sorts of local laws on certain bodies of water like HP limits

I'm just not a big fan of laws in general because so many of them are draconian, redundant and often times only in place as a revenue generator. The other reason I don't like these kinds of laws is that in todays society we see all the time of actual violent criminals going in and out the revolving doors of our judicial system when they should have their asses in jail with the key thrown away but they don't. But then somebody fails to seperate their game or shoots one over or something and they'll run that guy through the ringers. There are acceptions but the only laws we really need in a free republic are the 10 commandments and the bill of rights.

Hey, Scott. When is IGOLD this year?? Or did I already miss it?

huntall6
State Moderator

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:12 pm

limits are set based on what the average hunter harvests-via check station data. If there are 4 people in the blind and they always come out with a full limit, even though two guys came up short, eventually the limit will be reduced. (Trust me on this...I worked for DNR for almost 30 years.) As was said, if you are out there just for the shooting, take up trap, skeet or sporting clays.
You young pups better hang on to your wader suspenders. When in North Dakota this fall, I witnessed numerous wetlands being plowed, burned and tiled. I saw way more rolls of black drainage tile than rolls of hay. That, in case you don't know is the breeding ground for our ducks, and it is being destroyed at an alarming rate-far greater than it was in the 1930's, which brought about DU and the duck stamp. The largest manufacturer of drain tile and related equipment is relocating to Waterton, SD, to be closer to their new market. High commody prices for corn and beans, $6 & $16/bu, coupled with reduced CRP and WRP and a drought has created the "Perfect Storm" for ducks.
Fella's, the good old days of 6 ducks and 60 day seasons are about to end. I'll bet I live to see the day when limits/seasons are back to or close to what they were when I started waterfowling-in the 50's. Back then cans, redheads, pintails and woodies were totally protected, there was a 2 or 3 duck limit, one could be a mallard, and the season was 20 or 25 days. Hunting near the present day Sanganois Conservation Area, we were happy just to see a duck, let alone kill one.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby Dukplukr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:48 pm

riverrat47, You hit the nail on the head with this post, thank you. While we are sleeping the big corps and government are buying up and tying up land left and right in the prairie pot hole regions, not just for agriculture but for pipelines as well. As for the comments regarding the CPO's. I have never had a problem and welcome the sight of each and everyone of them when I'm out in the field. Have I ever gotten a citation, yup just once almost thirty years ago. Hunting on the Chain with a couple of guys we had a good time but damn few ducks. After loading up and pulling the boat out two guys came up to us and asked how we did. We had one mallard between three of us. One of the guys said they had a little better luck and had two mallards, they had stayed out to long and had to get to work, would we like their birds? Since I invited the others to come out and wanting everyone to go home with a bird and not wanting to see the birds wasted I said sure. What the heck there were three of us and three mallards sure didn't put us over on the point system (remember those days/). As we were leaving the state park sure enough there was a game check being done. When asked what we had I said three mallards, the CPO then asked if we shot all the birds. Well by now even to this dimwit my spidey sense started to tingle thinking something is up here. I told the CPO the whole story and of course I was cited for receiving game in the field. This never once even crossed my mind at the time I accepted the birds. The CPO's had been watching and I think that if I had lied or tried to bullshit my way out of something it would have been alot more than that citation. The CPO then told me his version which closely resembled mine except he had a few more facts than I did, seems the boys that gave me their birds got wind of the game check and since they were shooting lead instead of steel decided to find a patsy to pawn the tainted birds off on, ME. The CPO used a metal detector to show me that there was lead shot in the birds and then pointed to a car on the side of the road and up ahead of the line of cars waiting to be checked. Those the boys you got the birds from. This was not a question but a statement that they hadn't gotten away with anything. They were both cited for delivering in the field and using lead shot. The CPO could have nailed me with that also had I told him some story. I learned an expensive but deserved lesson that day and ever since then have poured over the regs before each season to see whats changed or not. As a hunter taking a life it is MY RESPONSIBILITY to know the law, obey the law and insist that those that hunt with me do the same.
Dukplukr
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:07 am

IMO, thats BS! No way in heck you should get a ticket for accepting gifted birds. I am assuming that all the shells you had on you were steel, so how, having witnessed the transaction, could he site you for using lead?? I am with DRYLOK in the sense that there are way to many laws, more being created every day, and none being repealed. You were guilty of nothing as long as you tagged the birds in the mandatory (sigh) gifting way. And the fact that the CPO WITNESSED IT and still wrote you up kind of tickes me off.

Dam I am sick of being controlled by senseless laws!

huntall6
State Moderator

Postby huntall6 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:09 am

And for the record, I have never been sited by a CPO, and do my best to follow the laws that are in place. That does not mean that I agree with them.

huntall6
State Moderator

Postby riverrat47 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:06 am

Legally, you cannot gift game until you get home. If that were not the case, you could call someone to pick up your birds and keep shooting all day, killing multiple limits.
Another ticket that is almost always written, which I didn't realize until I hunted with a couple of CPO's and had been guilty of, is keeping your kill seperated in the blind, boat, etc. Although we had always kept track of who killed what, the birds often ended up in a pile for the ride back to the ramp. After that eye opening conversation, I bought several game straps. Cheaper than a ticket.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:33 am

riverrat47 wrote:Legally, you cannot gift game until you get home. If that were not the case, you could call someone to pick up your birds and keep shooting all day, killing multiple limits.
Another ticket that is almost always written, which I didn't realize until I hunted with a couple of CPO's and had been guilty of, is keeping your kill seperated in the blind, boat, etc. Although we had always kept track of who killed what, the birds often ended up in a pile for the ride back to the ramp. After that eye opening conversation, I bought several game straps. Cheaper than a ticket.

that was more the route i was going with the group limit thing. even if you do keep track, you can still get a ticket?! that doesnt make sense to me.

say you have 5 guys field hunting geese. if you kill 6 out of one flock and dont have time to pick them up because another flock is coming in, by the logic of the law, everyone could get cited because their birds are not in their immediate possession, and may be close to each other. :no:

huntall6
State Moderator

Postby Fowl Fanatic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:14 pm

huntall6 wrote:
riverrat47 wrote:Legally, you cannot gift game until you get home. If that were not the case, you could call someone to pick up your birds and keep shooting all day, killing multiple limits.

that was more the route i was going with the group limit thing. even if you do keep track, you can still get a ticket?! that doesnt make sense to me.

That is the issue I have with group limits also. It is not enforceable. It is just one more regulation ethical but ignorant hunters can be reprimanded for. Where as hunters that intentionally break the rule can easily get away with. I dont see the value in it.
Fowl Fanatic
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting