Back From NoDak No Ducks there=No Ducks here

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Back From NoDak No Ducks there=No Ducks here

Postby hoyland2004 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Just got back Friday from North Dakota. Hunted/scouted for five straight days from the southern border to the Northern Border. Good number of snow geese but few northern ducks seen. There were a good number of local ducks all around but nothing like usual for the third week of October. After talking to a couple of outfitters and doing some research sounds like most birds are still up in Canada. With the weather similar in ND to IL I dont see any new ducks showing up till the end of the season again. Also, after talking with a lot of farmers and hunting multiple fields the amount of food in ND is way up. We hunted a soybean field on Thursday that was chock full of left over grain but with the warm weather few ducks came out to feed. Pray for cold weather and stiff north winds. Also, be aware that what you have is pretty much what your going to get. Try to hold off on the long shots. Kill the birds in the decoys and help us all out and dont educate them cause it might be all we get. Good luck and hope for snow and wind up north. :fingerhead:
ILLINOIS
DM-
HM-
PT-
GAD-
TEAL-
Widg-
WD-
SB-
Divers-
Geese-
Total-
hoyland2004
hunter

Re: Back From NoDak No Ducks there=No Ducks here

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Do you know how far a duck can fly in a day when the bad weather hits? Look it up. Little early for doomsday predictions, isn't it?
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:06 am

Kinda what I was thinking.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby lostpup » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:40 am

I'm kinda hoping hes right. End of north season is just starting here. In the South zone.Bring on the weather. I prefer to have Jan birds over Oct birds.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:35 am

When we go to NoDak, we typically go the third week in Oct. The holes that were open yesterday can have an 1/8" of ice in the morning and locked up solid in two day's.
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:03 am

They can make the whole trip in 24 hrs if they have to
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:17 am

There's an awful lot of specks down in arkansas and louisiana already.
Up here in Illinois it'll be bad, then good, then REALLY GOOD! Then bad and then good one more time. :biggrin: :thumbsup:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby GunnersDad » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:21 am

Still alot in Canada I hear BUT I heard from a local that Horicon is loaded! As earlier stated, all it takes is cold weather and it's on! No worries here.
GunnersDad
hunter

Postby tapera » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:13 pm

the season's five minutes old and already someone's complaining that it's already over. gotta love duck hunters!!
tapera
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:36 pm

lostpup wrote:I'm kinda hoping hes right. End of north season is just starting here. In the South zone.Bring on the weather. I prefer to have Jan birds over Oct birds.

x2.
My favorite hunts are late season mallard shoots in SO IL
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby bigman15 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:49 pm

I just watched the long range forecast a few days ago and it looks like the same conditions might be setting up that we had last year. A block over Greenland that keeps the cold waves from coming down the lower 48. They are not 100% sure and it seems like they get it right less than 50% of the time, but last year here in Southern Illinois winter was pretty much nonexistent.
bigman15
hunter

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:50 pm

tapera wrote:the season's five minutes old and already someone's complaining that it's already over. gotta love duck hunters!!

Never fails :lol3:
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter

Postby So IL ducks9 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Used to hunt with a guy that would say we were'nt gonna kill anything ont the boat ride to the blind. Gotta stay positive.
So IL ducks9
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:14 pm

If you guys plan to come hunt in the southern zone you better stop buy Toys R Us and buy some kiddie pools to float you decoys in. I have lived here since '79 and I have never seen it this dry.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby hoyland2004 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:05 am

I never said that it was going to be a bad season, just relaying what I found up north. I actually think the oppsite, supposedly this has been one of the largest hatches of ducks ever. The low water levels will also concentrate them which should lead to a good season. Its true that ducks and geese can move great distances in short periods of time. With that said they only move when they have to.
ILLINOIS
DM-
HM-
PT-
GAD-
TEAL-
Widg-
WD-
SB-
Divers-
Geese-
Total-
hoyland2004
hunter

Postby 1dktrkr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:42 am

I returned from ND on the 16th and I will say this year was a little different than the last few. Main thing I noted was that most of the early migrating ducks were gone. Teal, redheads and the others were tough to find concentrated. Mallards were everywhere, but not flocked up in extra large groups. Almost every pothole had 20 to 50 on it, but it was very difficult to find 100+ on a pothole. I'm sure the field hunters had a tough time due to that. It was also difficult for us to set up 5 man hunts because we normally look for those larger concentrations.

I guess my point is that I don't really have a point. :huh: There are plenty of ducks there and we will need some weather to start the Migration of the "Big Ducks".

Until then, I'm just gonna go to work on some blue & green Wingers, Woodies, pintail and maybe a shoveler or Two. :yes:
1dktrkr
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting