Best chances of drawing in

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Best chances of drawing in

Postby Keny656 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:44 pm

I wasn't able to get a blind this year, does anyone know where may be the best place to try and draw in the central il area. I noticed banner and rice had permit holders on the list, so i was thinking emiquon but i have never tried there before. Is it very hard to draw in there. I know my chances will be slim with it being opening weekend, but i have waited far to long for season.

Thanks,
Keny
Rain Kead my Friends, Rain Kead.
Keny656
hunter

Re: Best chances of drawing in

Postby zbitner82 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Sites that have permits like Banner Marsh and Rice Lake don't fill all the spots with permits. They leave some room to make sure some people get to standby draw. If permit holders don't show up, then means that there are even more spots to draw in. It is never garanteed to get in, but there is always a chance! They have to pull someones name out of that hat, right?

As for emiquon.....I went on a scouting run in my boat this week. The water is VERY low. At some of the stakes the cattails to hide in are 30 yards from the waters edge. Once you do get to water, it is muddy and only inches deep. Good luck with that.....
Semper Fi, Marines
zbitner82
hunter

Postby qckhd » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:08 pm

You probably have a better chance of getting drawn at Emiquon or Banner. More than likely ALL permit holders will show up for Rice thus no stand by draw will be had and that is typical for the first week. I am sure all permits (26) have been issued for Banner but I have never seen a day where all 26 permits showed up in the 10 - 15 years I have been hunting there. I wold expect a crowd of about 100 to show up at Emiquon, that has been the average for the past couple years. I hunted Emiquon last year, low water then too, and we did ok considering the conditions and trying to "hide" the best we could with little to no cover.
qckhd
hunter

Postby zbitner82 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Qckhd, you are right about banner, I have always had good luck drawing in there. The water was low last year at emiquon, but I am not exagerating when I say it is 2ft lower now than it was this time last year. I have never seen it this low. I am sure there will still be 100+ people there though! HAHA
Semper Fi, Marines
zbitner82
hunter

Postby 1dktrkr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:30 am

Better have a Plan B, C and maybe even a plan D. Emiquon will have 115 or more for the 13 blinds. My guess would be that 30 parties will get turned away from there. That is 50 to 60% of the people drawing there will be sent packing.

Not trying to disuade you as I will not be there, but I would definitely recommend that you have a back up plan in place. No one wants to get out of bed that early just to drive home and hop back in bed. :biggrin:
1dktrkr
hunter

Postby WTRlabDOG » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:37 am

I agree... You need to make sure you have back up spots... I have three places, but after reading this post and the low water conditions i'm sure that is now two. Too bad they just don't open up the river for hunting. We need to push and get some legislation going guys :)
Please check out my website @ http://www.capitol-outdoorsman..com

Follow me on twitter @capitoloutdoors
Follow me on facebook @ capitoloutdoorsman
WTRlabDOG
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting