Looking for a Instructor for duck calling

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Postby Takem Now » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:22 pm

I have been duck hunting now for about 6 years. Belong to a couple of hunt clubs, in the central region of IL. I hunt with friends. They do most of the duck calling, and I do most of the goose calling. . I could never bring new friends hunting, because I cannot call ducks
Well I am looking to learn the proper way to call ducks, Seen the online videos and seen some instructions DVD, also been with friends, and their wisdom, but I am not getting it!

Is there anyone in the Chicago land area that is willing to teach me how to call proper? I am willing to pay for lessons. But I want to learn ASAP. Also have a couple of friends that would like to learn also.

Thanks
Takem Now
Newb

Postby jaysweet3 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:57 pm

I pretty much suck, but somedays I can read a duck. There are so many variables to every situation it's hard to put it into words.

If all conditions are right, set up, wind, no competition, it's a lot easier. The high flying ducks, that look like they are on a mission, are hard for the best duck hunters. The low flying ducks are the ones looking for a place to light.

A perfect callable duck, would be down wind, flying into the wind. A seven note call, gets their attention, if they are coming, stop calling. If you start to loose them, hit them again with the call. It's easy to "blow" a duck off. Less is more.

Ducks that are upwind, hit them with the call, if the turn your way, only hit the call to keep them coming. They will have to fly past your blocks and swing, in order to land. I try to let off as they go past the decoys. Once they get out about 20-25 yards I get back on the call, to get them to start their swing. Once they start to come I lay off. You want them interested in the blocks, not you in the blind. The calling will turn their attention.

There is a ton more, maybe someone else has a different idea, but that basic approach works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Re: Looking for a Instructor for duck calling

Postby lostpup » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Good info Jay. I have better luck letting them get to the 50 yard mark before I hit them again. I have had alot of trouble with turning them to quick and them not having time to get right in the hole. They then have to much time and tend to make an extra swing and see the little things that may not be perfect. The whole key in calling ducks is learning when thay want to hear a call and when your just wasting hot air. I've seen some old timers in AR that will tell me which ducks they can pull down and which ones won't need a single note and end up on the water in front of us. So I beleive its more on reading the birds than the perfect note being blown at them.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:57 am

And then some birds, just want to be somewhere else. They will never decoy in or be turned by a call.

When there is a lot of competition, all bets are off. Every joker with a call within 1/2 mile is screaming at a group. Watch the birds, they get confused, a lot of the time nobody gets them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:37 pm

If you have a webcam and skype..I can teach you..PM me if you would like to do it this way...
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:19 am

I sent you a PM??
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:24 am

I give online lessons...all throughout the year...
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting