Can we talk calls on here?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker

Can we talk calls on here?

Postby howie3i6 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Hey everyone. I don't want to violate the Terms and Conditions if we're not allowed to discuss calls by name. Here is my plight. I was out of waterfowl hunting for nearly 20 years. When it came time to start buying calls, I almost fainted. I couldn't believe there were calls pushing $150. Back in the day I don't think i paid more than about $10 for a call. I've had a couple lower end calls that I have been fairly happy with. I'm looking to pick up another duck call and replace the goose call, which just ain't honkin' right anymore. Any suggestions on the workin' man priced calls. Let me rephrase that. Any suggestions on the workin', but not all the time,man priced calls? Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate any and all input. As long as I don't violate the T & C.

Howie
Last edited by howie3i6 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howie3i6
hunter

Re: Can we talk calls on here?

Postby howie3i6 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:16 pm

What makes these acrylic calls so expensive? Are they that superior to the wood calls? Is a bright green and orange call guaranteed to kill more geese? LOL.. Not trying to offend anyone.
howie3i6
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:50 pm

If your looking for decent price with good sound I would go buck Gardner calls. They don't call them the working man's call for nothing.
coulterville33
hunter

Postby zbitner82 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Howie, I felt the same way you do for a long time. I bought cheaper calls and thought that I could call in just as many geese as the next guy. But everytime I was out I ended up letting my buddies call with their high dollar stuff becuase you could tell a big difference when blowing them side by side. If you take care of an acrylic call you will have it for life. I broke down and bought a Tim Grounds Real Thang for just over $100. It took a little while to learn how to blow it, but I can run that call with confidence now. I sound better with that call than I did with any other call I have ever owned.

I guess my point is that as a waterfowler you spend a bunch of money on decoys, guns, camo, blinds, shotgun shells, etc. You might as well break down and spend $100 on a call that sounds as real as you can get and will last a life time. I wish I would have made the purchase earlier in my hunting career!! Geese aren't getting any dumber, and there sure isn't a shortage on hunters. You have to be as realistic as you can! If you ever make the jump, you will be glad you did I think!
Semper Fi, Marines
zbitner82
hunter

Postby lostpup » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Howie and everyone else you can talk names here. Only way its against the T&C is if you are a call maker spamming your goods. I try to recomend our Sponsors as they help keep this site up and running. Check out Custom Commited Calls. Made here in IL one at a time. Great prices and is a good man to deal with. I also like Hayes Calls as they are IL based. I have a call addiction. Buy name brands, custom, cheap, old, new it doesn't matter. Have a whole shelf full of acrylics and custom woods both goose and duck. I tell you that for the sole reason of in my honest opinion they all kill birds. I have a winglock and a foiles goose calls on my laynard both acryli. Duck calls are a wood polly winglock, and a $9 duck picker poly call by duck commander. These are the calls that work best for me. Its all in what you want to spend and how much time your willing to put into learning to run it.

Okay now name brands I love the sound of Tim Grounds goose calls but can't run them for crap. Also I had several friends swear by Zink goose calls, again for me worthless. You just have to try some out and see what you like. Swing across the Big Muddy to Bass Pro or Cabelas has bigger selection and try some outt.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TJP » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:21 pm

I'm really pleased with the sound of my Buck Garnder Double Nasty I got in a two pack with a Wood Duck Call for $20 at Gander Mountain. However, my knowledge of and experience with different calls is very limited.
TJP
hunter

Postby abeauchamp63 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:28 am

@Lostpup....where in the world did you find a duck picker for nine bucks?!?!
abeauchamp63
hunter

Postby lostpup » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:15 am

At a hunting store in Jacksonville FL last Jan. It replaced my old one that I bought about 8 years ago. Ill get you the name of the store. It may have been $9.?? But was under 10 bucks. I love that call for a squeal or to get medium and soft. We don't hunt alot of open water or many others close by. So it is perfect for me. :beer:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby abeauchamp63 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:40 am

i need to replace mine as i just gave one away to a youth hunter ...most stores have em for 29.99-34.99 so under ten is a steal
abeauchamp63
hunter

Postby qckhd » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:56 am

If you are wanting a good reliable call that is easy to blow try Winglock! For geese, especially working geese that you want in your face, try the goose whisperer!
qckhd
hunter

Postby tinman18 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:06 am

I have had good luck with buck gardners canada hammer II...i also have a GK giant slayer i had a hard time runnin that one until i bought the buck gardner for just under 20 and it requires alot less air and actually helped me to learn to run the GK....if that makes any sense?
tinman18
Newb

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:27 am

I use Custom Committed Calls:

And Winglock:

Acrylics:

Poly J-Frame:

Wooden:

http://www.committedcustomcalls.com/

http://www.winglockcalls.com/
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Wigeon 2010 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:57 pm

I LIKE WOOD CALLS..IV'E BEEN HUNTING FOR 30+ YEARS.THE ACRYLIC JUST DON'T SOUND REAL TO ME..MY FAV RIGHT NOW IS MALLARDTONE.
Wigeon 2010
hunter

Postby DBrooke » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:46 pm

The poly J frame Winglocks are nice ;)

Hey Rob, it's me Drakebuster.

Let's see on my lanyard right now I have.... Winglock, Southbound (made in IL as well), DRC (also IL made) and a Classic Commander that I've had for 10 years or so but on it's second set of reeds.
DBrooke
hunter

Postby lostpup » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Wigeon 2010 wrote:I LIKE WOOD CALLS..IV'E BEEN HUNTING FOR 30+ YEARS.THE ACRYLIC JUST DON'T SOUND REAL TO ME..MY FAV RIGHT NOW IS MALLARDTONE.

Why are you YELLING :hi:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostpup » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Goosehunter are you collecting all the ones in different colors or are you selling them ? Gary at Custom Commited makes a great call. I do like wingloc as well. I forgot they are made in IL also. Rick is a down to earth guy as well what little I've spoken to him.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BuckCreek » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:07 pm

Get a duck call that used echo inserts and you will be pleased should be around 60 or less. Grounds, echo, triple j or maybe double j and lannom calls all use it. they got excellent sound.
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Dont waste your money on any call that cost over 30 bucks! Buy Haydels DR-85 or a Yentzen Sure Shot!! Both around 20 bucks and very easy to blow and they WORK!!!!! :thumbsup:
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby lostpup » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:56 pm

abeauchamp63 wrote:@Lostpup....where in the world did you find a duck picker for nine bucks?!?!

Well they made a liar out of me. ( KINDA) I did get it in Jan last year so maybe it was on sale but don't remember it being .

Here is a link to the store and calls page. It's $24 now :huh:

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... &langId=-1
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:06 am

DBrooke wrote:The poly J frame Winglocks are nice ;)

Hey Rob, it's me Drakebuster.

Let's see on my lanyard right now I have.... Winglock, Southbound (made in IL as well), DRC (also IL made) and a Classic Commander that I've had for 10 years or so but on it's second set of reeds.

Hahahaha, I know it's you. I miss your posts and pix from that other site :thumbsup:
I hope all is well with you.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:07 am

lostpup wrote:Goosehunter are you collecting all the ones in different colors or are you selling them ? Gary at Custom Commited makes a great call. I do like wingloc as well. I forgot they are made in IL also. Rick is a down to earth guy as well what little I've spoken to him.

No..I'm collecting. Both Rick and Gary are from IL and two great guys.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:12 am

thebiggrfigr wrote:Dont waste your money on any call that cost over 30 bucks! Buy Haydels DR-85 or a Yentzen Sure Shot!! Both around 20 bucks and very easy to blow and they WORK!!!!! :thumbsup:

Yes both calls can get the job done...but even for a mere $25.00 for one of Rick's poly J-Frames...you've moved into a whole different world of duck calls....and spending over $20.00 is not wasting money. I have blown and operated so many different brands of poly calls..(to many to list) this Winglocks out shine them 10-1. No, I don't work for, or a pro-staffer for Winglock. I just use and stick with what works best for me.
And when I like and trust a company and the people that run them...by golly I will promote them to the end.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:11 am

Im happy for ya Goosehunter, really I am. I was just givin my opinion and other options for the gentleman!
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Here's my lanyard.
Clockwise from the bottom:
CCC duck call
CCC goose call
G&S Rainman Goose Calls specklebelly call
Rich-n-tone short barrel
Rich-n-tone timber

That little timber call is suh weet! I got it for $20 from Cabelas last year.
The CCC duck call is loud and very ducky. Great for long range work.
The CCC Goose call is very nice. Breaks easily and predictably.
The Speck call is loud and takes a bit more air than I am used to using.
The short barrel is like a soft daisy cutter. Nice and ducky.
The timber is my scalpel. (finisher)

marsh seats 008.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting