Newb from Will County

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Newb from Will County

Postby WendallMan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:15 am

Morning everyone,
Just joined the forum, and been duck/geese hunting for two seasons (rookie).

I was wondering if anyone could lend a little help in where to hunt in the area. I live in the Lockport area of Will County. Some mornings I step out back for a smoke and I swear I hear shots but I have no idea where they are coming from, and sure would love to find out.

I'm your average 30 something guy, living the American dream (wife, kid, mortgage, not so secure employment) and need to find a way to get out more often.

We usually drive up to Michigan where we hunt a few weekends out of the year. I'd really prefer to stay as local as possible (save on time, gas and nagging from the wife).

I got a big SUV, quite a few floater ducks and geese, some field geese, a layout blind and calls/camo and an extra gun or three that I would be able to loan out if needed and I am with you. I also have a couple of hunting buddies but again we don't know where to go around here.

Anyone looking to add to their group, or avoid going out solo need a couple pals to join them? Got a farmer that leases you some land and need a couple guys to help offset the cost?

Yeah, I realize that spots are like gold but it's worth a shot.

Good luck, be safe and see you 'round the forums!

WendallMan
WendallMan
hunter

Re: Newb from Will County

Postby WendallMan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:31 am

And about 120 geese just flew over my house.....man.

Also wanted to add if anyone knows what the rules/regs are as far as hunting on someones farm I would appreciate some input. I am not too proud to slowly approach a farmer and request permission to hunt his fields, but really want to make sure the field is legal to hunt before doing so. What I have read is somewhat vague or maybe just over my head. It seems like the farm has to be zoned a certain way and obviously would have to be large enough to allow me to follow the distance from roads/structures rules.

WendallMan
WendallMan
hunter

Postby herpin1579 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:20 am

Not quite sure where in town your at but I'm in Lockport as well, right next to the new high school. I hear the same shots in the morning. There's a couple guys that hunt the river below the bridge, which is very legal even though they are trespassing to get to it. Some guys hunt fields pretty close to town. But I still can't narrow down where they are coming from
Mike Brown
Bowfishing Association of Illinois director
herpin1579
hunter

Postby WendallMan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:29 am

I am actually in Homer Glen. A friend told me about the river hunting but I am no sure where I could launch my boat.

I've never hunted on a river either so I really wouldn't know where to start with setting the decoys and boat position.

I went out for a short drive this morning to look for spreads set up in the farm fields but didn't see any. I didn't hear any shots this morning either though.

I wish life would quit getting in the way so I could at least head up to Michigan.

WM
WendallMan
hunter

Postby herpin1579 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Theres no way of getting to the river in town so just forget that before you go insane trying to figure out how. Property on either side is owned by forest preserve, water rec, or material service. Trust me the only way to be legal 100% of the way there and while hunting is to take a boat and that would be one serious ride. Saw some guys out there today on my way home from work. I was scanning the river with my spotting scope as they tried to duck behind an island and out of sight. Islands are marked as water rec property so the blinds they have built are there illegally. Watched as their buddy drove back and forth waiting for me to leave. Guys were getting arrested once they started working on the powerhouse again because the idiots were peppering the guys working on the stack. Now they only way they can get in/out is to have someone drop them off and pick them up quickly. The water rec police patrol regularly.

Only letting you know because I spent countless hours on the phone/computer trying to find a way to legally hunt down there
Mike Brown
Bowfishing Association of Illinois director
herpin1579
hunter

Postby WendallMan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:42 am

Thanks for the info. I don't want to break any laws no matter how bad I want to hunt locally.
WendallMan
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:01 pm

There are a few regulars in Homer Glen. The apple orchard, NE corner of 159/Cedar, and North field of Evelyn's Gate subdivision. Those fields have been hunted for years and taken by the regulars. Loyola Med holds a lot of geese right before the freeze. Knock on doors and stay out of village limits, which there isn't much land left after 60491 took over in full swing in '02.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby WendallMan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks KillerKowalski,
That gives me some good starting spots. I don't want to step on any regulars toes but may try to conveniently catch them as they are heading out with some extra hot cups of coffee in my truck.

I found a map of the village limits that I will have to print and bring out with me on a scouting trip.

Thanks again for the input!

WM
WendallMan
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:47 am

Np.

Also, the chicken farmer on 159 close to 355 is a no go. The wife went and knocked on his door last year.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Rebels32 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:16 pm

I also am a new resident of Will county..east side of Joliet near New Lenox. I would be open to sharing in the efforts if you're up for that.
Rebels32
hunter

Postby WendallMan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:59 am

Rebels32 wrote:I also am a new resident of Will county..east side of Joliet near New Lenox. I would be open to sharing in the efforts if you're up for that.

I will gladly share any info or spots that I come across.

I don't know if I am going to get to get out and scout around or knock on any doors this weekend. I am trying to see if I can get my weekend "honey do" list taken care of early so I can head up to Michigan and see what we can do.
WendallMan
hunter

Postby Purcel41 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:19 pm

I also would interested in joining you gentlemen out for a day or so. I know of a few spots in the Channahon area that are public but you do need a boat. I am a rookie hunter also, I went a few times last year with a guy but he sold his boat and decided to just hunt deer. I also have two properties for goose as well. Maybe we could work something out. I have a dog that I hunt pheasant with and does a good job with the birds. He loves the water but never tried him on ducks though. I live in the Joliet/Plainfield area.
Purcel41
Newb

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:56 am

I hunt at a private club near Plainfield. Best money I ever spent. If anyone is interested in details PM me. You won't be able to hunt this season. It's decent hunting and none of the hassles of trying to find a place in this part of the state.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:21 am

Most of the memberships sell for $2,5K with members unleashing their ill used membership for a thousand or two more. Personally I never wanted to join one. Obviously it's not in demand since a seller on Craigslist can't sells his for the last twelve months. From two members at each club the fishing is sub par at one and the other is excellent. The problem that I see and was told you can only bring out a certain number of guests and guest get charged. Truth be told I'm not sure. After the freeze the birds are held in Lake Renwick where the strips that don't freeze hold me.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:37 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Most of the memberships sell for $2,5K with members unleashing their ill used membership for a thousand or two more. Personally I never wanted to join one. Obviously it's not in demand since a seller on Craigslist can't sells his for the last twelve months. From two members at each club the fishing is sub par at one and the other is excellent. The problem that I see and was told you can only bring out a certain number of guests and guest get charged. Truth be told I'm not sure. After the freeze the birds are held in Lake Renwick where the strips that don't freeze hold me.
What's up with this? As you say, you don't even know what club it is or anything really. It's not like I'm overselling it to make a profit. As I said the hunting is "decent" but the big thing is no hassles of public land. I hunted 30 days last year because I bought this membership years ago. No hassles because I know I have a spot even if I'm just hunting an 1.5 before work like many of those 30 days were.

Like I said PM me if interested. I will respond to the one PM I have tomorrow.

I would like to get out to some new areas just for some variety.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:30 am

Nothing. I know two members at each club one being my Uncle and the next being my neighbor. Yes, memberships are sold as profit. Stating that they aren't is incorrect. I'm not saying the clubs there are terrible. I hunted forty-three days last year without a membership anywhere.

To the ones on this thread keep knocking on doors. If a farmer says no, ask for a referral. The farmers that tell you no knows which farmers allow hunters. Also, the farmers will object that they lease the fields from landowners. True in some cases, but there are other ways to locate the landowner. For example, one of my Wilmington fields is leased to the farmer and the landowner lives in Lockport. I tracked him down got permission and he gave me a survey of the land. It's my fifth or sixth season hunting that field. Watching the birds land in near by fields while hunting I started to knock around the same square mile. Three doors and one yes from a farmer that was thankful to give me permission. Great man too! I gave him three geese last year and he was more than thrilled.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:23 am

KillerKowalski wrote: know two members at each club one being my Uncle and the next being my neighbor.

There are 3 clubs that duck hunt. Not two, but one is much smaller as I understand.

KillerKowalski wrote:Yes, memberships are sold as profit.
Nobody is trading memberships as a business. You will likely sell it for more than you paid, but not even close after you factor in annual dues and required work time. It's valuable if you use. Nobody is making a net profit on these, but my point was that I was not selling something. I'm keeping mine until I die or leave the area.

For me, I hunt far more days and it is far more enjoyable because of the lack of hassles and all the people you get to know. I got a place near Braidwood I can hunt any time I want because of connection I made. It's what happens when you hang out and get to know other duck hunters like yourself.

It's not right for everybody, but for me, if I hadn't hurt myself a couple weeks ago I would be in a duck blind right now. Something that I could not do if I didn't live less than 10 minutes from the club. I leave my boat and since I have a blind I like this week I wouldn't even pick up decoys so I can hunt a little later before heading to work.

My problem was you ripping on something you know nothing about. I don't fish much, but there are hog bass, some big pike, walleye, stocked trout, etc. I shot a 50 lb grass carp bowfishing the other year. I'm not aware of anywhere that is better. Not saying it is spectacular, just as good as anywhere else I have heard of. And that's just bonus on top of the duck hunting.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:36 am

Well said. I'm not bashing the clubs at all. Just stating the fact.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting