Opener Totals

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Opener Totals

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:08 pm

So, how did everyone do? At our blind, which we spent a lot off season time on, killed the following:
Sat: 5 Blue bills, 1 Wood Duck, 1 Black Duck, 1 BWT, 2 geese
Sun: 6 Gadwalls, 1 Mallard Drake.

Now, Our old rock quarry pond is usually not know for shooting A: Bluebills, B: Black Ducks, so our opener was pretty good! Also, to take into account the breakfast on Sat and the New York Strip Steaks we ate Sunday, it was a good time had by all!
I am dedicating this year to waterfowl and waterfowl only....
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Re: Opener Totals

Postby herpin1579 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:37 pm

NZ opener included 2 woodies, 6 mallards, and 3 geese between two guys. Definitely had the chance to fill our bags but we were rusty to say the least. Spent a lot of time scouting but there ended up being a lot more birds in the area than I thought. Not the best shooting I've ever done but it was the best opener I've ever experienced. Central opener I found myself alone in the same spot and ended up with 3 mallards, a gaddie, and 2 geese. I worked a flock of almost thirty geese into the dekes after I filled my limit but it was one of the most proud moments I've had in my short(6 years) waterfowling career. Even got a picture of them locked up and coming in.
Mike Brown
Bowfishing Association of Illinois director
herpin1579
hunter

Re: Re: Opener Totals

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:05 am

herpin1579 wrote:NZ opener included 2 woodies, 6 mallards, and 3 geese between two guys. Definitely had the chance to fill our bags but we were rusty to say the least. Spent a lot of time scouting but there ended up being a lot more birds in the area than I thought. Not the best shooting I've ever done but it was the best opener I've ever experienced. Central opener I found myself alone in the same spot and ended up with 3 mallards, a gaddie, and 2 geese. I worked a flock of almost thirty geese into the dekes after I filled my limit but it was one of the most proud moments I've had in my short(6 years) waterfowling career. Even got a picture of them locked up and coming in.

Post the pic!!!!! :yes:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby TJP » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:50 am

Freelanced the FOX on Saturday. I hadn't scouted or even driven past the area since before season started. We had some good luck though, we stirred up about 300 birds around 3PM while rowing through a marshy channel. We didn't get any shots, which is ok because it sounded like 4-5 other blinds on the river got shots at those birds. We had birds dropping into our little pool every 15 minutes or so. We hunted out of the 12' jon boat without any sort of blind or hide, over 6 mallard floaters, and didn't use our calls all afternooon. We were "On The X," and it was awesome. I bagged my first duck ever, a drake Woodie. I ended the day with 2 drake mallards, 1 drake GWT, a Drake Woodie, and a hen Woodie that dropped behind a drake I missed. Would have limited out and gotten a drake pintail, but I lifted my head as I shot. Actually, we should have had our limits within an hour and a half of being out there, but we missed quite a few at 30 yards, and weren't shooting anything on the water. my dad must have had blanks in his gun because he didn't hit a single bird all day. I did get to see my first Black Duck too, it really stuck out in the flock of Mallards; they looked comitted to one of the nearby blinds so I didn't try to pull them.

NZ 2nd Weekend (Saturday) - 2 Wood Ducks, 2 Mallards, 1 GWT
NZ 2nd Weekend (Sunday) - Couple's Time Duty - Had 3 mallards eat bread from my palm in down town Long Grove. I was really tempted to grab a couple and book it, but my lovely girlfriend reminded me that it would be very conspicuous to try and walk through the middle of that town with a duck in each hand. Saw/heard 15+ snow geese in Long Grove.
TJP
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:51 am

Skunked for both days. Only a few working groups that would not commit. Managed a robbery from another blind that missed a goose. After they missed, it committed to our spread. Rusty shooting for us though. The only bird for the weekend.

Saturday seemed to be more movement and not as much on Sunday. Hopefully Wednesday will bring more flight.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby hunter1967 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:09 pm

Sat: five of us limited out on geese and got rewarded with two bands. didn't get any ducks, mainly because they were hitting the wetland area to our south. saw quite a few for an opening day......fingers crossed!

Sun: three of us hunted wetland in the morning and had a awesome woodie shoot. got seven plus one bluebill. then moved over to the bigger water to try to tag some geese. took a bit but got our 6 and got rewarded with 4 bands. definitely one of our better opening weekends. ended up hunting wetlands in the evening and finished our limit with two on the woodies. didn't see any big ducks flying around however. seemed like geese were already call shy. if they were coming..moans and clucks only. only when they passed us or flared a bit did they seem to respond to more aggressive calling.

Mon: four of us hunted another bigger body of water. problem was our pit is on the south bank and we had a north wind. set up as best we could. ended up with 3 but watched 80 or so on the west end of the lake frolicking around with four swans. might have to get me a few swan decoys..lol hope everybody had a safe opener!

first pull of the trigger dedicated to my friend David Slater and acquaintance Tommy Trainer who passed away on the northern opener up in the quad cities....We got'em for ya boys!!!! RIP Shout out to Bill ...speedy recovery buddy!
hunter1967
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Saturday we got 10 bluebills and a coot then sunday we got 2 redheads, a mallard, and a bluebill...
Attachments
131729_3657098795722_1940320114_o.jpg
134025_3651656139659_586268821_o.jpg
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby herpin1579 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:16 am

:)
Last edited by herpin1579 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Brown
Bowfishing Association of Illinois director
herpin1579
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:58 pm

Nz opener.Sat morning two guys. Drakes only 4 mallards. 2 pintails. 3 geese - one banded.
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby lostpup » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:06 pm

malrdmasher wrote:Nz opener.Sat morning two guys. Drakes only 4 mallards. 2 pintails. 3 geese - one banded.

How did you tell on the wing the geese were male :hi:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntall6 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:02 am

lostpup wrote:
malrdmasher wrote:Nz opener.Sat morning two guys. Drakes only 4 mallards. 2 pintails. 3 geese - one banded.

they must have been hung like horses!!
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby malrdmasher » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:40 am

lostpup wrote:

first i ask em with my calls, if they dont tell me then i shoot em and stick my finger in thier ass to tell differents in sexs, :eek: doesnt everyone ?
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby abeauchamp63 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:05 am

:lol: yep thats how I was taught lmao
abeauchamp63
hunter

Postby lostpup » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:53 pm

malrdmasher wrote:
lostpup wrote:

first i ask em with my calls, if they dont tell me then i shoot em and stick my finger in thier ass to tell differents in sexs, :eek: doesnt everyone ?

I ask on the wing ? You stated you shot all Drakes not me. I was razzing you no need to be frazzled. You make the statement you just have to back it up.

How do they answer back when you call to them ? A goose is a goose when they talk :fingerhead:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby malrdmasher » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:21 pm

It was a joke, I don't speek goose. But you can tell difference in sexs by inserting da finger. Males will have a protusion inside
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby abeauchamp63 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:53 pm

wait....your were jokin???
abeauchamp63
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 pm

....I kinda figured that was the norm.
:oops:
MIZ