Goose Lake Prarie-Heidecke Lake

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Goose Lake Prarie-Heidecke Lake

Postby BEDB » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:52 pm

Anybody on here hunt Heidecke Lake? Just kind of curious how rough it gets when the wind kicks up being that its an old powerplant lake and how deep the water is? Hopefully gunna go check it out when i get back from SD.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Re: Goose Lake Prarie-Heidecke Lake

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:08 pm

I don't hunt it. I thought I saw water depths on the Internet in the past orat least on the DNR flyer, which should be able to be downloaded. If not, it's in the office.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 pm

Heidecke can be a bear and it really depends on what kind of rig you have the whole southe side of the south pool is all "Natural" Shoreline which consists of cattails/Reeds mostly and can be waded. lots of rocks though so you have to be carefull with your motor. The Blind stakes are kind of tricky at first till you figure them out they are very small white reflectors with numbers that cannot be seen till you are right on them so i useally count down and do a process of Elimination. When you look at the map its rather easy to figure out the lake. as far as the north side of the south pool the depths range from 6-15 ft anywhere you are going to want to put decoys so wading is not an option and also you are goint to be on a rip rap shore. Now there is two pools to this lake and thats why i said earlier it depends on your rig. Personally, i cannot fit under the bridge with my stationary blind on my boat so im limited to hunting the south pool when i go there. if you are have a pop up set up on your boat then you are golden you can hunt both sides. the north pool is also all rip rap and deeper iin the 6-20 range. i have noticed though that the north pool can be better for whatever reason. i only hunt the natural shoreline because i would rather not deal with putting decoys out in the boat and i do pretty well though. i hope this helps. if you have any other questions feel free to pm me good luck and good hunting!
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:12 pm

Heard the water level is pretty low too and launching the boat can be a chore.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:30 pm

supr87gt wrote:Heard the water level is pretty low too and launching the boat can be a chore.

True,hard to get a boat on the shore to hide it. To the original poster, the lake can get rough fast. If you hunt the north pool, watch the wind! Get under the bridge or the boat will get to spend the night at the lake if it gets too rough. They say 16' boat minimum, I say 18' but thats just me.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting