First hunt with the boy!

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

First hunt with the boy!

Postby traydog14 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:58 am

Not to bore anybody but I just wanted to talk a little about my 4 year olds first duck hunt. He had been bothering me to no end wanting me to take him and me telling him that he had to get up really early and it was going to be really cold didnt turn him away. So he drug me upstairs and we got all his hunting clothes out and layed them out his way, because duck hunters lay their clothes out a certain way didnt ya know.lol
Right before my wife and I walk upstairs to put him down for bed he turns around and says daddy, I think I better sleep with you and mommy so you dont forget to wake me up in the morning. lmao Couldnt turn that down.
Well 4 am rolls around and the alarm clock is screaming. I get out of bed and start getting ready. After a couple attempts of trying to wake him up the only reaction I got was him rolling back over and going to sleep. I knew if I didnt try one more time to get him up it would have been tears and anger coming my way when I returned home from my hunt. My last attempt went like this..buddy, you better get up cause daddy is leaving to go duck hunting and your not waking up like you said you would... No response at first and then he springs out of bed and tells me, daddy you better wait for me because its gonna be awesome that I get to go duck hunting with you. Made me feel proud as a father. I explained to him that he couldnt fall asleep on the drive to the hunt because he might miss something. Little crap never batted an eye. He was so excited that he was going he didnt care what stood in his way, not even a lack of sleep.
To sum it up, I forgot all of his snacks in the truck which he reminded me every chance he got. He got to paint daddys face with camo and laughed his butt off cause it was funny to shove the burnt cork up my nose. He got to see some birds in the air early morning, got to watch his best friend, Mena the lab retrieve some birds, and got to eat some good ol duck blind breakfast. Oh and I cant forget his bathroom break behind the blind where we got to make our own snow goose decoys.
On the way back home he told me that all duck hunters have to take a nap because its hard work being a duck hunter daddy. laughed my butt off.
So moral of my story is take a little one hunting. I couldnt believe how much he wanted to be there and enjoyed every second of it only because daddy does it. with him only being 4 years old I was really timid about taking him but I really didnt care if I fired a shot I just knew I would not want to be anywhere else but in that blind with him.
If I bored ya sorry. Just had to tell the story.
Attachments
tray2.jpg
(97.77 KiB) Downloaded 1712 times
tray1.jpg
(86.22 KiB) Downloaded 1699 times
1860 swv4f4 excel Mudbuddy sport V44
traydog14
hunter

Re: First hunt with the boy!

Postby 1dktrkr » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:21 am

Boring???? That's the stuff that makes this sport so special! One of the best posts I've seen this year.

Congrats on a memorable first hunt that will be followed by so many more to come! Hook a youngster on hunting and you won't have to worry about what they are getting into later in life :thumbsup:
1dktrkr
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:58 am

Awesome! Those days are behind me now that my two boys are 19 and 22. But the memories still linger. Snacks, heat and a wooden gun to shoot with will keep him occupied :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby WalkinHunter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:14 am

Did it ever cross your mind to check the law about hunting and minors? Sad.
WalkinHunter
hunter

Postby 1dktrkr » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:38 am

WalkinHunter wrote:Did it ever cross your mind to check the law about hunting and minors? Sad.

WalkinHunter: Are you seriously going to bust out the child endangerment stuff on this???? I'm fairly certain that the boy wasn't shooting at 4 years old and I would also assume that dad had hearing protection for him as well. It was a controlled hunt in a blind and the the boy probably had heaters and hot chocolate to enjoy during the day.

You know you are absolutely right. I should rely totally on a government bureaucrat to instruct me on the ways that I am allowed to raise my child. I'm sure he forgot to call DCFS before taking his child hunting.

If there is a law saying you cannot have a child under 16 accompany you on a hunt unless he/she has passed hunter's safety, then please post me a link to it.

Posts like this one make me ask why I even bother coming on these forums :fingerhead:
1dktrkr
hunter

Postby DBrooke » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:54 am

WalkinHunter wrote:Did it ever cross your mind to check the law about hunting and minors? Sad.

I have seen no LAW stating that he couldn't go. Some sites have regs that all occupants must me licensed hunters (which means 10 yrs old with a safety course) but I have never seen it in written law. Both my girls started going to the blind before they were 10 and you know what, now my oldest is 14 and she goes every chance she gets. That means no boys, facebook or internet :wink:
DBrooke
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:09 am

1dktrkr wrote:

WalkinHunter: Are you seriously going to bust out the child endangerment stuff on this???? I'm fairly certain that the boy wasn't shooting at 4 years old and I would also assume that dad had hearing protection for him as well. It was a controlled hunt in a blind and the the boy probably had heaters and hot chocolate to enjoy during the day.

You know you are absolutely right. I should rely totally on a government bureaucrat to instruct me on the ways that I am allowed to raise my child. I'm sure he forgot to call DCFS before taking his child hunting.

If there is a law saying you cannot have a child under 16 accompany you on a hunt unless he/she has passed hunter's safety, then please post me a link to it.

Posts like this one make me ask why I even bother coming on these forums :fingerhead:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clapping: :clapping:
Get a life walkinhunter
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby lil_mason09 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 am

:lol: leave the guys alone he had a great moment with his son and made an amazing memory! Obviously he wasn't hunting.....Traydog good for you getting your son into the sport I had a good weekend like this with my dad this weekend wedding get to hunt much together anymore and it was a great time in the blind! :thumbsup:
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby traydog14 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:47 am

I was born and raised in the woods and on a ball field. Not to sound like a rebel but there isn't a law written that is gonna keep my son from getting to experience the same things my father let me experience.
1860 swv4f4 excel Mudbuddy sport V44
traydog14
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:26 pm

traydog14 wrote:I was born and raised in the woods and on a ball field. Not to sound like a rebel but there isn't a law written that is gonna keep my son from getting to experience the same things my father let me experience.

Amen.
Walkinhunter can go take a kid and fly a kite. I'm sure there aren't any CPS laws that prohibit that.
..unless of course the wind is over 15mph, then you run the risk of the child be carried away with a strong gust and-oh, it's just a terrible thought.
:fingerhead:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby lostpup » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:44 pm

So wait a second here ! I'd like to see a link to the law your refering to. If you can provide one you have merit to speak your mind, otherwise piss off.

I must be a horrible father cause I have my boy shooting this year at 7 ( Licenesed by the way ) . I have no doubt that the 20ga auto he's getting for christmas will be the worst and most dangerous gift of his life :huh: Unsupervised yes guns are dangerous but come on do you think any man will knowingly let his child have a bad experience and risk the chance of him not wanting to enjoy what you do with you later. I may not get to shot at any ducks this year myself but you can bet your arse that my boy will be with me if he wants to be there. Heck he can even blow a call all he wants this year and see why and when to call. He won't have a gun in his hand when calling but if he wants to learn this sport we will work on whatever he finds enjoyable at the time. There will not be but one other guy hunt with me when he goes and that is for saftey reasons. I will give up a few seasons to get him started right but any sane guy will have their child with them if the conditions permit and can safely hunt.

Congrat's to the OP for getting your son out there. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BuckCreek » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Man some people's nerve think they can say whatever because their hiding behind a computer. That is awesome you took your son. My 6 year old still swears he killed his first duck a couple years ago with a bb gun. He even told the game warden about I'm surprised I didn't get natural life in prison for such a horrid offense.
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby deathranger333 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:18 pm

You have got to be kidding. Tell me your kidding. He has to be kidding. He is kidding, of course he's kidding. :no: :fingerhead:

tray, That story was not boring. I couldn't help but chuckle. Have a great season and thanks for sharing.

Sean
"I guarantee zero. Anything after that is a bonus." Jimbo from RNT
deathranger333
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:25 am

Great story!

I've got a few years before I can take my little one into the blind, but it's stories like these that drive me to learn everything I can before that time comes so that I can be the best teacher possible for the little one.

Too many out there don't pass this sport on early enough in a child's life, and we end up losing a big portion of the next generation...

Keep up the good work boys! :thumbsup:
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby WalkinHunter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:15 am

Come on folks, act like adults. Taking a 4 year old hunting is just plain stupid. Yes, there are laws against it. The child has not pass the Illinois Hunter Safety Course. Hunting in Illinois is NOT a spectator sport. Youth hunts do NOT allow the adults to hunt, shoot ducks. So if the adult was hunting ducks he is in violation. Over all the parent set a bad example. Not only as a parent but as a hunter.

I have raised children, done a great job. Yes they hunt and shoot. I did the right thing, I waited until they were 10. No problems.
WalkinHunter
hunter

Postby phil » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:58 am

Traydog: Thank you for one of the best post that I have read on here. You are obviously doing a great job raising your son. I have 3 boys and I started them on an occasional hunt with me at 4 years old also, and they were legally shooting in Indiana by 7. Today they are 18 & my twin boys are 14, and they all live for the outdoors. They are turning out to be exceptional young men, just like your son will become. I commend you for the sacrifice of investing time with you son. I know all about giving up an occasional shot or two because you are tending to him, and carrying the extra gear to keep him happy and safe, but you will not regret it. Some day he will be carrying your gear and you will still be smiling about these days that you wrote about. Awesome job! Ignore the ignorance and keep these posts coming! :thumbsup:
phil
hunter

Postby lostpup » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:47 am

Walkinhunter you are miss reading somewhere. There is no law that states 10 years of age. To acompany a person in the blind they do not need a hunting license. The boy was there as a spectator and I for one am very glad this proud father choose to share an experience with his young child. You still haven't provided proof on a law with minors in a blind like you stated. It would be illeagal and irresponsible for him to have allowed the boy to shoot on this day with no license. He did not do that he just shared an experience with a child that will last forever. BTW you are aware you don't always have to have passed hunter safety to hunt as a minor right. ( aprentice license comes to mind.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2takem » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:48 am

WalkinHunter wrote:Come on folks, act like adults. Taking a 4 year old hunting is just plain stupid. Yes, there are laws against it. The child has not pass the Illinois Hunter Safety Course. Hunting in Illinois is NOT a spectator sport. Youth hunts do NOT allow the adults to hunt, shoot ducks. So if the adult was hunting ducks he is in violation. Over all the parent set a bad example. Not only as a parent but as a hunter.

I have raised children, done a great job. Yes they hunt and shoot. I did the right thing, I waited until they were 10. No problems.

What part of the post did you read that he was taking his kid on a "youth hunt"? Doesn't matter If the kid past a hunter education course. Last I looked he didn't have to take a class to watch. Use ur head walkinhunter and stop being just plain stupid!!

Traydog good article! I have a two year old that I pray he will beg me to go to "observe" in a couple years! It's good to see fathers spending time with there sons no matter what they are doing or the age! :clapping:
2takem
hunter

Postby TJP » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 am

WalkinHunter wrote:Come on folks, act like adults. Taking a 4 year old hunting is just plain stupid. Yes, there are laws against it. What Law? The child has not pass the Illinois Hunter Safety Course. Hunting in Illinois is NOT a spectator sport. Youth hunts do NOT allow the adults to hunt, shoot ducks. So if the adult was hunting ducks he is in violation. Over all the parent set a bad example. Not only as a parent but as a hunter.

Plain Stupid? Treydog definitely said the boy saw some birds flying and saw the lab retreive birds, I'm sure there would be a comment like, "he got to shoot at his first bird" in there if the boy was handling a firearm. Also, I think it'd be stupid to deny a child who wants to spend time with their father in the woods or blind. You still haven't referenced any Federal or State law that actually prohibits a man from bringing his child out hunting on the basis of the child not being old enough or having completed a safety course even if the child is not shooting. I took a safety course when I was a kid, my dad had already taught me most of what the course covered by the time I was 7-8 yrs. The completion of a course does not mean that the hunter is more knowledgeable after taking that course. Also, you say that hunting is not a spectator sport in Illinois. Funny thing is, last week I spoke to the guy who runs Snakeden Hollow, and he told me that the pits hold three people of which only two can be hunting. Sounds like a spectator can be there to me. The prohibiton of adult hunting during youth hunts only applies to the dates specified as Youth Hunt days. SO, as long as Treydog made it up to the Central Zone he would have been fine hunting himself. It sounded like he was going out whether the boy went or not, so I think it would be safe to assume Treydog made his way up to the Central Zone.

Walkinhunter, you should probably get off your high-horse. Just because you waited to bring your kids out does not mean that another man can't teach his earlier. I'm sure Treydog kept his boy safe, any father would. Raising children isn't black and white, what works for some doesn't work for others. I recently saw a video of a 4 year old girl taking her first wild boar with a crossbow. Its interesting that you can so quickly judge a man's parenting by reading a paragraph on the internet about a safe and successful first hunt between a man and his son.
TJP
hunter

Postby rism » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:57 am

Great story. Reminds me of my own grandson's first hunt

Walikinhunter - Anybody notice that he doesn't give a location as to where he is ?? My guess would be the Chitago area. Typical logic (if you want to call it that) that comes out of there. Politically correct BS is why this country is in the jam it is. Hopefully that gets corrected Tuesday. The 4 yr old wasn't hunting so he needs no permit, license or anything else !! These kind of dumbazz post infuriate me if you can't tell !!!!!!!!!!!
rism
hunter

Postby 1dktrkr » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 am

WalkinHunter wrote:Come on folks, act like adults. Taking a 4 year old hunting is just plain stupid. Yes, there are laws against it. The child has not pass the Illinois Hunter Safety Course. Hunting in Illinois is NOT a spectator sport. Youth hunts do NOT allow the adults to hunt, shoot ducks. So if the adult was hunting ducks he is in violation. Over all the parent set a bad example. Not only as a parent but as a hunter.

You continue to dance around this law you mention :hammer: .

There is no law that prohibits spectators on a duck hunt. Take as many spectators as you want, and they do not need to have licenses or stamps. Some state sites have reg's about the # of people allowed in the blind, but it does not apply to private.

Then you commingled youth hunt rules in there as well. I would assume that it was regular duck season, not youth season wherever Traydog was hunting. Everyone knows that only the kids can shoot during youth season. Just because he lives in SC or South Zone does not mean he was hunting in SC during that particular day.

Finally, I'm not going to fault you Walkinhunter for waiting to introduce your kids to hunting until 10(that is your choice as a parent), but that is sure what you are doing to Traydog. Who are you to pass judgement? The boy was safe, happy, warm and he now has the memory of a lifetime :thumbsup:
1dktrkr
hunter

Postby WalkinHunter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:01 am

Site specific regulations against spectators:
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... irearm.htm
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... rmdeer.htm
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... rchery.htm
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... pp_hrw.htm
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... eyregs.pdf

Both state and federal law clearly state, if you are in the field or on the water, are a member of a hunting party, you are hunting. Therefore you had better have the proper license and stamps. Spectators are not allowed in any hunting. Just ask your local CPR. I have been to many a waterfowl hunt that had a draw, it was clearly stated that spectators were not allowed.

I'll ignore the other trolling comments. Seems some of you are not mature adults. I am here to inform and educate, not bicker.
WalkinHunter
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:14 am

Union County Draw allows 2 hunters and 1 spectator. Nothing about the spectator needing to have a license. It's like having someone in the boat suntanning while your fishing. They don't have to have a fishing license.

Some state sites may have regulations against it, but who cares. If I wanted to go out right now (no duck season in) put out decoys, call ducks in and shoot PICTURES of them I could do it.

:thumbsup: to taking your son and allowing him to enjoy a sport!!!!
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:45 am

WalkinHunter wrote:Site specific regulations against spectators:
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... irearm.htm
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... rmdeer.htm
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... rchery.htm
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... pp_hrw.htm
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... eyregs.pdf

Both state and federal law clearly state, if you are in the field or on the water, are a member of a hunting party, you are hunting. Therefore you had better have the proper license and stamps. Spectators are not allowed in any hunting. Just ask your local CPR. I have been to many a waterfowl hunt that had a draw, it was clearly stated that spectators were not allowed.

I'll ignore the other trolling comments. Seems some of you are not mature adults. I am here to inform and educate, not bicker.

Walkin, The last link posted for Wayn Fitzgerald clearly states no spectators. The other four links do not state that you cannot have spectators. Furthermore the guy was duck hunting from what looks to be a pit made from a large 210 barell tank. This is probably located on private ground not public. My question: Where in the Illinois regulations does it say that a person cannot take a spectator hunting. I have asked CPO's in the past and the answer was that as long as they were not hunting they could go along and watch. This was in regards to boat hunting waterfowl. Can you help me out here?
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:55 pm

Cyber punch this walkin guy in the nuts thats what i say........
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting