First hunt with the boy!

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Re: First hunt with the boy!

Postby traydog14 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:26 pm

WalkinHunter wrote:Come on folks, act like adults. Taking a 4 year old hunting is just plain stupid. Yes, there are laws against it. The child has not pass the Illinois Hunter Safety Course. Hunting in Illinois is NOT a spectator sport. Youth hunts do NOT allow the adults to hunt, shoot ducks. So if the adult was hunting ducks he is in violation. Over all the parent set a bad example. Not only as a parent but as a hunter.

I have raised children, done a great job. Yes they hunt and shoot. I did the right thing, I waited until they were 10. No problems.

Alright im not going to sit on here and say you are a good or bad parent because I dont know you. Sounds to me like you are that Mr. Perfect that that does nothing wrong. Thats just me though. If taking a 4 year old hunting is just plain stupid, who is to say that you waiting til your kids turned 10 before you took them hunting isnt stupid???? Hunting anywhere in this great nation is being a spectator. If it wasnt they would call it KILLING and not HUNTING.
Guess what Mr. Hunter... I was hunting, calling, eating, and introducing my son to the outdoors so if you dont like what I did as a GREAT and PROUD parent call the local authorities where I live (I have their numbers if you need them) and let them know what I did. As a matter of fact I contacted one of them myself to give the hunting report and fill him in on the trip. Nothing but praise from him for introducing a kid to the outdoors. Dude get a life and tend to your children and stay off my thread. I will continue to take my son hunting and you continue to tell me how to do a GREAT job raising my son.
I am a Deputy Sheriff in My County and see non stop what happens to kids if they dont have early intervention in their lives. So with that being said I will do everyting in my power to make sure my child doesnt go down the path I have seen other youth go down.
Thanks for your input hunter but it is no longer needed here. Have a great time being the GREAT parent you call yourself! :bow:
1860 swv4f4 excel Mudbuddy sport V44
traydog14
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

WalkinHunter wrote: Seems some of you are not mature adults. I am here to inform and educate, not bicker.

Mature Adults? I suggest you take a long hard look at your posts in this thread, proclaiming you've raised your kids right and that another man has done wrong with his boy.
What a joke.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:33 pm

To the orginal poster...good job. :thumbsup: Always a good thing to see young kids introduced to hunting.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:34 pm

Congrats Dad and a wonderful post :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Some states and some sites won't allow a "spectator" in the blind.
Thanks for sharing and sorry about the controversy.
I fully support your right to take your son hunting with you. :thumbsup:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby traydog14 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:42 pm

Just so it is clear cause I didnt specifiy in my original post...It was not youth season and I was in the CENTRAL zone. My son was completley safe and when we left I de briefed him on safety. It just kills me that someone has to piss in anothers cheerios because they think they are right.

Also I read your links hunter (which pertain to deer hunting) and also call a different CPO to ask about this again because I do want to make sure I am not violating any laws that you claim I am. I was perfectly legal in everything that took place that great morning.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. :thumbsup:
Last edited by traydog14 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
traydog14
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:43 pm

WalkinHunter wrote:Site specific regulations against spectators:
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... irearm.htm
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... rmdeer.htm
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... rchery.htm
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... pp_hrw.htm
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmg ... eyregs.pdf

Both state and federal law clearly state, if you are in the field or on the water, are a member of a hunting party, you are hunting. Therefore you had better have the proper license and stamps. Spectators are not allowed in any hunting. Just ask your local CPR. I have been to many a waterfowl hunt that had a draw, it was clearly stated that spectators were not allowed.

I'll ignore the other trolling comments. Seems some of you are not mature adults. I am here to inform and educate, not bicker.

if your here to educate, you may want to stick to facts.. and for the record, i started going at 3 1/2.. and yes, you can go and not hunt and you have no need for a lic. or even a hunter safty card.. or a stamp.. just don't take an extra gun..

but to educate i would like for you to show me a link to the part i underlined..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:58 pm

There's another side to this argument that nobody has mentioned.
Suppose that it's legal to be a spectator.

At what point are there too many spectators? When you build bleachers?

Now consider this. ONE licensed hunter brings 5 spectators and takes a blind...thus preventing actual hunters from hunting.
Now suppose EVERY single blind at a draw-in get's done like that. That would kind of suck now wouldn't it?

I'm not arguing that OP did anything wrong. (he didn't)
Just saying that the antis could use this "spectator" stuff against actual hunters.

Hunting is NOT a spectator sport. Never has been until some goofball (spectator) with a camera went and started making videos.
Does a cameraman need a hunting license, stamps, etc.???

If this thread were posted in the Arkansas forum it would never have gotten to this...It's ILLINOIS and we're a little bit different up here in a very goofy way.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby B.Hud » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:06 pm

Op good job getting the youngin outdoors.

Walk-in- get real man
Shouldbeaguide wrote: We rolled donuts all weekend on green tops and specks. Make sure your facts are strait
B.Hud
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:19 pm

Come on folks, act like adults. Taking a 4 year old hunting is just plain stupid

Oh the horror. Get real! I was 4 years old when I went and sat out in the woods with my dad deer hunting. I had my first bb gun when I was 5 years old and if/when I decide to have kids, they will be raised the same way.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:24 pm

x2
walkin you have no right to judge someone on how they raise their own kids. Who taught YOU manners and common decency?
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby ilgoose » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Congrats on taking your boy out and having a great time! As the father of a recently turned 4 year old, when my boy says he wants to go, he will go. No questions asked. As of now he doesn't have the desire to go out and do it, but if/when that day comes I don't care how old he is, he will be in my blind with me. For now he is content staying home and playing with his toys with mom. He knows what I do, and the time I spend doing it, and I can't imagine a better way to spend my time than with him teaching him everything I know about hunting and enjoying time in the field with him and his grandpa (my dad).

Congrats again on a great day in the blind!
ilgoose
hunter

Postby Broken Paddle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 pm

WalkinHunter wrote:Did it ever cross your mind to check the law about hunting and minors? Sad.

ARE you nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

I'm 60 years old!, do the math, I 1st went duck hunting with my Grand father & Father at age 7 with a BB gun! Blue bird days. Tides right. No hearing protection! No PFDs! Irresponsible bustards! Today child & family services would have me in custody! Big brother back the F OFF! Let parents do what there supposed to do, with out guberment intervention!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way, do I have kids, NO! If I did, it would NOT have been up to the goberment to thll me if,or when I could take my child out to hunt or shoot, it is MY & MY child's decision & NO ONES ELSE! By the way, when I was born, my Grandfather bought me a BB gun, my Grandmother made him return it.

TAKE NO UNNECESSARY RISK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Broken Paddle
hunter

Location: Fomerly in Riverton, CT Now wandering spaceship Earth

Postby riverrat47 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:52 pm

1. We now know that if DEER hunting on a handful of state sites, you have to be licensed, etc.
2. We know that Tray wrote a nice story.
3. We now know that walkinhunter is a total douche.
Last edited by riverrat47 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby waterfowlman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:06 pm

WalkinHunter wrote:Did it ever cross your mind to check the law about hunting and minors? Sad.

This is the dumbest frigging post I have ever read on DHC. The pussification, coddling and faggotizing of American children continues....and by a "hunter" no less !!! I'd be banned from this place if I really told you what I'm thinking .
Rule Number One: Always use a sledge hammer to kill an ant.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby TNAL45 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:38 pm

waterfowlman wrote:

This is the dumbest frigging post I have ever read on DHC. The pussification, coddling and faggotizing of American children continues....and by a "hunter" no less !!! I'd be banned from this place if I really told you what I'm thinking .

His name is SIR; you best pay attention. :hammer:
cannon wrote:Rules, in general, are bad for me. Left to my own resources, I'm a fairly responsible citizen. Once rules are in place, I have an insatiable desire to break them repeatedly. It's a sickness.
TNAL45
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:16 pm

I called the dnr office in Sterling after I read this earlier today and the lady I talked to said that a 4 year old can accompany his parent without a hunting license as long as they dont do anything involved in the hunt. Such as no blowing on the calls, no carrying anything involved with the hunt, not even a decoy.I guess thats the great state of Illinois for ya. My boys started young, but not that young. I guess I just didnt have enough patience back then. I applaud you for getting your son involved at such a young age. :clapping: I bet he is gonna be one heckuva man when he grows up. And to the other guy who knows everything........ give it up man. Call the office before you open your mouth. Good luck to everybody and hunt safe :smile:
Boocephus
hunter

Postby Coh-Brook » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Here is a pic of my 6 year old son, and my 4 year old daughter holding a green wing teal I killed yesterday morning. This was my daughters first hunt and my sons 4th. I guess I too am a horrible parent. You better call a CPO or DCFS. Walkinhunter you are a piece of work.

I guess I was in violation of the law because I let them touch the duck, which was technically part of the hunt. Oh well, I don't care. Legal or not, I wont let anyone tell me I cant expose my kids to hunting and let them hold a duck. I'm a law abiding citizen, but if I law directly conflicts to the values I hold true, then I choose to gladly disobey.
Coh-Brook
hunter

Postby DBrooke » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Both state and federal law clearly state, if you are in the field or on the water, are a member of a hunting party, you are hunting. Therefore you had better have the proper license and stamps. Spectators are not allowed in any hunting. Just ask your local CPR. I have been to many a waterfowl hunt that had a draw, it was clearly stated that spectators were not allowed.

I'll ignore the other trolling comments. Seems some of you are not mature adults. I am here to inform and educate, not bicker.

I have asked and YOU ARE WRONG
You are also a horrible at educating since you are still WRONG!!

Oh and I'm a horrible parent too, my youngest was 7 in this pic on her first field hunt ;)
DBrooke
hunter

Postby traydog14 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:40 pm

So glad to see the support on here. I'm sure everyone except maybe one understands what the sport of hunting means to one.
I for one get gratification out of hunting because of all the memories I have with my father. I may not have agreed with him bringing me up and I still don't agree with him on some things. All I know is I strive to be half the man my father is to me. My son will also learn the lessons in life and I'm sure cuss me when he is older and stomp his feet at me now but I always want him to know that he can turn to me for anything in life and I will be there for him. Establishing this type of relationship and trust with my father was done while in a deer stand or on a 10 mile quail hunt.
There are so many children out there with dead beat parents that it brings tears to my eyes, knowing they are the ones that are suffering because of the lack of parent intervention.
For me there was no better place than in the woods tracking a deer or hanging a stand in a tree where those bonds with my father could be built.
My son will know right from wrong just as I did growing up. If he chooses to go down the right path great. If he chooses to take the other route that's gonna be on him because I will do my job as a father to give him all the tools in life he needs to grow up and be a great young man.
I sound like doctor Phil. sorry guys but this negative response is still getting at me.
traydog14
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:02 am

Now you understand why im driving 1500 miles to take my grandson hunting!!
frydaddy
hunter

Postby lostpup » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:03 am

This post proved our point it is not written in the FED or State laws that you can not take a non hunter into the field with you and futhermore a youth specific. You need to be alot more knowledgeable than you are representing . Since you claim to just be here to pass along information. Again you have not provided any links to back your claims in this topic. Certain hunting sites may not allow a spectator but, you can not prove it is a STATE or FEDERAL law. Why post such nonsence against a person getting a youth into the outdoors. From your post I can now conclude that you are living in a city and have no clue how the real world works. Let me go out on a limb and say I think you store your pistols at a friends house away from where you live as well.

Your post so far do nothing to back your claim :huh:

lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TJP » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:43 am

lostpup wrote:From your post I can now conclude that you are living in a city and have no clue how the real world works. Let me go out on a limb and say I think you store your pistols at a friends house away from where you live as well.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TJP
hunter

Postby GooseBuster » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:15 am

Don’t forget to cast your ballot today for “*** Clown of the Year”. I understand WalkinHunter has this one pretty much locked up, but just remember every vote counts. :thumbsup:
GooseBuster
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:38 am

How do you know you're a donkey on DHC? :huh:

When the Honey Hole Queens hop on a state thread (that isn't their home state) to put their two cents in...

I LOVE this place! :yes:
Last edited by Feelin' Fowl on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting