New to duck hunting

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

New to duck hunting

Postby infidel2012 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:31 pm

hey everybody I am new here and had a few questions. Im in Mchenry county and as far as i can tell the closest public land would be chain of lakes? how do the drawings work? i know i missed this years drawing but im not planning on hunting until next year. i have a FOID application in and havent gotten my card yet. i am just trying to figure out what i need get and/or do before next year. i also have a 2 year old lab, who is smart as heck and i was wondering how old is too old to train? and is it possible to train for upland AND waterfowl?
infidel2012
Newb

Re: New to duck hunting

Postby USMC03-07 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:12 pm

Can't help you as far as were you can hunt, but check the DNR's website, it has some useful information. Good luck on getting your FOID card, but don't expect to receive it on time. As far as the dog goes, it can be done, but it will take dedication. Start with basic obedience... sit, stay, come, etc. until it becomes 2nd nature. You can train for both upland and waterfowl just know certain breeds have instincts and traits better suited for one or the other. If you are new to dog training get a book or check the web (gundogsonline.com) for help. If you train dog wrong it is hard to correct mistakes made in training. Good luck.
USMC03-07
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting