Needs Help Finding a Good Spot

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Needs Help Finding a Good Spot

Postby duckslayer90 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:00 pm

I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and will be returning stateside Dec. 1, 2012. I will be visiting Moline, Illinois from the 26-30 of December with my wife's family.I have been duck/goose hunting for 4 years and I missed last season and just being able to catch the tail end of this season. I have been looking all over the internet and nothing is helping to find a good spot or being pointed in the right direction. Any information would be great help.
duckslayer90
hunter

Re: Needs Help Finding a Good Spot

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:09 pm

Be patient and someone will help.
You are for sure coming at the right time. The geese are usually thick over here by Champaign around Christmas.
I bet they will have 'em over by Moline as well. :thumbsup:
Good luck.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Ed L. » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Duckslayer90,

First off. Thank you for your sevice. Unfortunatley duck season ends the 18th of Dec. in the northern zone. Goose season ends Jan 12th. Hopefully someone that targets geese will see this.

Take care,

Ed L.
Ed L.
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:50 pm

If you want to make the 2.5 ride to Braidwood I can take you the 30th. My friend, who is in the Army, hunts with me and might be able to take you the 26-29th. His schedule is opposite of mine really. The 30th is for sure if you take the ride out.

Also, two of the many clubs around Braidwood will host you for free (military only). Mazonia Hunt Club and Grundy County Honkers. There might be more, but you will have to research it. I believe guide fees of $25 have to be paid at both.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby buckwild » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Also, thank you for your service. If nothing else closer works out for you, I will have a place to get you out in the South central Zone for ducks. I am located near st. Louis.
buckwild
hunter

Postby duckslayer90 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:45 am

KillerKowalski I will PM you when I get back to the states for more info. Thanks a lot of the help. Ill be sure to look up those clubs.
duckslayer90
hunter

Postby duckslayer90 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:57 am

Is water or fields better for geese around Moline or near the area? I know in Georgia water is better in the middle and fields better farther north. Just so I have an idea.
duckslayer90
hunter

Postby duckslayer90 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:04 am

I need to know if there are usually more Canadas or Snows or a mixture around Quad Cities. Need to figure out my spread
duckslayer90
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:50 am

Our group would be more than happy to have you on a hunt with us. Most of us live in the Moline area and hunt here locally. The hunt would obviously depend on snow pack and whether or not our spots on the river have froze up. We have 3-4 fields we would have the option of hunting and multiple spots on the Rock and Mississippi River. Maybe if all of us here can work with you we can get you out every day your back. As far as snows or Canadians we typically don't see snows stop in this area but we do get thousands of Canadians. I will pm you with my contact info.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting