Duck Hunting Forum banner

ducks on the fox

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  TJP 
#1 ·
hello fellow waterfowl enthusiasts. im new to the chat and generally new to duck hunting. what a great wealth of knowledge i have already learned just by reading some threads but i do have a few questions on hunting on the fox river and would be much obliged if anyone could shed some light on it. i live in algonquin and just downriver from where i live are a couple of blinds in the river, i was under the assumption that the river was public property and therefore we are allowed to hunt on it but what about the blinds? am i allowed to hunt from them or does someone own them? im kinda stuck because i dont have a boat or anything but i do have waders and all the other necessary gear to get started. am i allowed to hunt from a layout blind on an island in the river? can i shoot from shore or do i have to be in the water? has anyone had any luck hunting without a boat or blind or am i s.o.l.? i know i have to be 100 yards from an occupied dwelling but what about the roadway? and also the fox river bike trail runs next to the area im inquiring about, is there any law that says i cant hunt ducks with the trail and roadway being so close? ive left the cpo's for my county 3 messages already and have yet to get a hold of any of them. im really anxious to get out already!!!! i wanna get out and have some fun but i dont wanna break any laws or anything. thanks for your time and any info is greatly appreciated. -Tony

#7 ·
Some blinds have been in place for long enough that they have been grandfathered in, being built on islands that were there prior to fp acquisition. But, I wouldn't venture onto any paths or any other islands. Yes you can be arrested for crossing a 10ft wide bike path with a cased gun. In fact quite a few have been and had equipment seized in my area, this includes trucks and boats

#8 ·
Best bet is to stay out of the Forest Preserve, off of the path, and in the water. Keep calling your CPO until you get a hold of him. He will be the one enforcing the law, so its best to get his opinion if you are unsure of anything; especially if you are unsure of where you can hunt and where you can access with a firearm legally.

#10 ·
so i finally got a hold of the cpo and he said it wouldnt be a problem but the only thing is how i access the water. it could either be forest preserve property or private property so i called the kane county forest preserve and as it turns out it is preserve property so i cant cross the preserve property with my shotgun. kinda sucks but im kinda wondering how everyone else gets to those blinds because the boat launch down river is preserve property too..... i dunno if i would want to risk walking the twenty yards through the preserve property to get to the water. anyone else have any leads on a decent spot that can be accessed by foot? i dont have a boat and no friends that duck hunt. :sad:

#11 ·
If there is private property that has access to the river within wading distance, you might want to see if the property owner will let you use his land to access the river. It might help to bring a liability waiver or a case of beer. If the launch isn't too far from the blinds, you might want to check and see what the regs are concerning carrying a firearm at the launch and wading in the river near the launch with a cased gun. However, I'd suggest investing in a small canoe or kayak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.