Where are they ?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Where are they ?

Postby Grossy23 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Based on the lack of posting from fellow members , it leads me to believe that no one is having good hunting . Well , I haven't either but I am curious as to whether anyone is seeing ducks . Only first week of November but still ? Good hunting everybody ! It'll be over before we know it ! Cheers ! :beer:
Grossy23
hunter

Re: Where are they ?

Postby DBrooke » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:25 pm

Nothing here to post about. Locals are all in freezers already lol
DBrooke
hunter

Postby herpin1579 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm having the best start to my season thus far in my water fowling career. I recently acquired a longtail and its allowing me to get where most others can't. All of the areas public spots have been completely dead. Dedicating a lot of off time scouting. My boat rides are up to 2.5hrs round trip and its really paying off. Birds are just concentrated and I'm trying to let areas rest. I took some time cruising the river yesterday and found some groups of nearly 300-400 mallards and blacks =)
Mike Brown
Bowfishing Association of Illinois director
herpin1579
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Nothing either. Seeing movement everyday out, but local birds that will give one swing and onto the next spread. Numbers at Braidwood/Mazonia dropped considerably after opening day. I really think Brooke took em all and wont admit it. We need some lower temperatures and fast. I start day shift in Dec and only can hunt 9 days in the month. Not a happy camper about it.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby buckwild » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:03 pm

The freeze is going to start up north on Sunday/Monday. They will be here, keep scouting and dont be afraid to try something different.
buckwild
hunter

Postby TJP » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:15 am

I've been seeing a lot of Canada Geese and larger groups of Mallards gathering in the protected land areas just South of the Chain. Lots of afternoon movement.
TJP
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:32 am

Went this morning. A lot of duck movement today. Had many working. Managed one Widgeon. Had another but lost it in the weeds. Today seemed promising.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby TJP » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:14 pm

Just drove from Bass Pro down to Chicago on 94 around 1:30PM. Saw 7-8 flocks of 50+ geese crossing the highway between Gurnee and Deerfield. There were quite a few ducks flying as well. I hope this is an indication of what the weekend will hold.

Wish I had my camera, I counted 67 deer in one of the groves in the Forest Preserve off 90 and River Road, too bad its in the FP and Chicago city limits. I'm going to check it out after work and try and snap a picture, it was incredible there were 2 more groves full of them.
TJP
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Not much for ducks here in the north central part of the state. Thinking about taking the boat out this weekend to do some scouting, but the mighty Pec river is still pretty low. Probly just stick to the field. Im starting to think the ducks stick to the east and west borders of the state. :huh:
Boocephus
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting