Pheasants at Silver Springs State Park

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Pheasants at Silver Springs State Park

Postby TJP » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Has anyone ever hunted Silver Springs in Yorkville for pheasants? I have a permit for Friday morning, and have never been to this state park before. I hunt without a dog so I usually hunt wooded areas. I would really appreciate it if someone could direct me to a good starting point/area.

Anyone else going to be there Friday who would want to combine forces?

TJP
TJP
hunter

Re: Pheasants at Silver Springs State Park

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:58 pm

The "Office" will go quick as its the section behind the house. Get there early. Draw cards go quick. Crappy, but some will go the night before if the foyer of the house isn't locked. I would get there two hours early and should be in the top ten. Good luck. The few times I have went out I limited there. I only go once or twice a year. You might be able to pair up with someone who has a dog. My Lab is well retired and met a few guys there last year who asked me to join up. The ol' man who does the safety meeting is legit. Use a bathroom before you check in. There's only one in the house and not pleasant following a few that had a bad breakfast.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby TJP » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Thanks for the tip. Do you think I'll need to get there that early even if I have a permit for the day?
TJP
hunter

Postby outdrguyjr » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:38 pm

I hunt there quite a bit and there is no need to have to go that early. If you are there by 7:30 you will be in great shape. I would suggest you hunt either the "office" area or area #1. Pay close attention to any standing corn as the birds tend to like that cover. Without a dog you will have to take your time and go very slowly to try and kick up the birds. I do notice that they sit a bit tighter than wild birds. Wish I wasn't working...would love to bring my Brittany out and knock a few down with you. Take your time and have fun.
outdrguyjr
hunter

Postby TJP » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Oh man, I wish you weren't working too, love watching Brittanies work. Thanks for the heads up on the sitting birds and for giving me a starting point. Even in the woods at Chain-o-lakes, the birds have been pretty quick to flush the last couple weeks. As long as they're not running on us too much I think we'll be good.
TJP
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:05 pm

The inside is that guys come at the butt crack of dawn get a number then go to breakfast then come back for checkin. So, getting there at 7:30 would put you around 12-20th in line is my guess. Being Thursday I think you will pull a low number. There are regulars there who won't say the unwritten rules that I have stated. I got sick of being there at 6:30-7A and pulling 15th. Whoooaaaaa?? Then I finally got word of "how it really worked." Is it the same this year?!?! I don't know. I have not visited there recently. After being peppered once and several close calls, I lost interest in the place. Best of luck, TJP. The birds use to have a funky smell like musty feet in the past. Make sure you take whiff and let me know. :thumbsup:

Stay away from the camo jumpsuits with the white tennis shoes.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby TJP » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:22 am

:lol: I'll make sure to take a whiff and let you know. I'm car-pooling with buddy who wants to head out around 6:30, so I guess I'll get there when I get there. Thanks for the skinny on the breakfast situation too. Tennis shoe hunters crack me up.
TJP
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:03 am

How did it go?
KillerKowalski
hunter

Controlled Pheasant Hunts

Postby TJP » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 am

It was very interesting to say the least... You have to hunt North to South and back, take a half hour break at 11:45, hunt in front of and behind other hunters. The guys without permits got to pick their hunting area before me even though I had a permit, (rubbed me the wrong way that morning, but I should have gotten there earlier). I bagged a really small rooster early, but without a dog those birds were running 10 yards in front of us (my ears don't lie). I did flush up a hen, but I would have been shooting towards the road, and saw a car coming that would have most certainly gotten peppered by my shot. The hen flew into a tree trunk and fell straight down, I went to go kick it up again but it just walked into a culvert under the road. Saw a big rooster with a really long tail hanging out in the culvert, but was not about to ground swat birds just to fill a limit. We had about 4 other chances at birds, but I was hunting with a guy on his second hunt and another on his first hunt and they both froze up when the birds flushed under them. On top of that, the other guy in our group with experience had a kink in his barrel or was shooting blanks because he could not drop a bird at all on Friday. I might have thought to take long shots at those birds if I had the Wingmaster in the field; but I was shooting my first gun, a 20ga single shot with a 25" barrel, and I don't like taking shots that might end in a running cripple or a lost dead bird. I checked the harvest sheet as we left at 2pm and noticed there were quite a few hunters/groups which didn't bag any birds all day.

Redemption will come this weekend. I have a permit for DesPlaines for Saturday, and I'll be on the prowl for some ducks when I'm not dropping pheasants.

Anyone pheasant hunting DesPlaines this weekend?
TJP
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Sounds like you were hunting area D.

We always hunt that spot East/West. I believe that the North/South Rule, as well as the out of the Field at 11:45 Rule applies to Area A only, BUT the guy that runs it seems to be having a bad morning just about every time that I get a chance to get out there. He has favorites, and doesn't try to hide the fact that he does...

The birds can be a little weird there, and few have nice long tails, but it helps if you hunt East/West in Areas D & E.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby TJP » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:04 pm

We hunted area A by the house, all of the excitement with the hen happened between the barn and the powerlines.
TJP
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:59 pm

The N/S has been in place for awhile now. It makes sense.

How did standbys pick before you?!?! Never heard of that. Where you late? I did tell you to get there early. I don't care what anyone says those numbers go the night before and into the early hours of the AM.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting