Hunting 2012

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Hunting 2012

Postby jedimike » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:07 pm

So far, it's absolutely terrible. The water's so low we cant use our duck blind. We get completely skunked at des plaines and the chain, 4 birds out of 6 guys.

So we come out to South Dakota to do some pheasants. HA! We see about 60 hens today and 3 roosters.

I'm willing to bet the ducks coming down are going to suck as well. Everything young has died off from the drought.

My stoeger doesn't want to cycle 2 3/4 shells now.

Someone tell me something to cure my pessimism
jedimike
hunter

Re: Hunting 2012

Postby lostpup » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:42 am

Russia roulette. You have a 1:6 chance of not worring about it so much !

Honestly just enjoy being out there, hunting is not only about the killing :huh:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gearhead80 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Yea, if what you are trying to do isn't working then try something new. The weather has been about the only bad thing so far. Personally with my new options this year my group is off to a way better start then last season and try taking the pressure off and just have fun doing it.. Just my 2 cents..
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:54 pm

If we are comparing numbers, you are doing better than us. So far this season I have hunted seven days and enjoyed every minute. My numbers do not tell any stories, but I have plenty to go around including the dirt bag that literally took a dump behind our blind when we didn't hunt it one weekend. Common sense obviously isn't for everyone. :mad:
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby BearDown09 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:44 am

We went out on Sunday. TONS of lookers, nothing would commit. We took 2 black ducks, but they were the only ones who came in on our spread. Guys all around us were skybusting and scaring the potentials off...definitely frustrating, but any day duck hunting is a good day in my book.
BearDown09
hunter

Postby BEDB » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:48 am

Were havin about the same season. So far hunted 16 days and been skunked ten times, went up to south dakota to pheasant hunt and killed 19 the first day with 13 guys and 10 the second day with nine guys and while i was up there my 11-87 wouldnt work so now im trading it in for a pump and praying it gets here before the migration does. Otherwise im shootin an 870 that only shoots 2 3/4. But so far, a pretty good season lol
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:39 am

Any day spent hunting with friends is better than any great day at work!!
gearhead80
hunter

Hunting 2012

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:17 pm

It's God awful for me now. Been hunting 4th and grass lake, getting skunked day after day. Gonna head to SEMO next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:19 pm

I really don't feel too bad because we are not breaking any records as far as harvesting goes. We have only been skunked twice all year but several trips only yielded one or two birds. I have been having a great time though because I am only a third year waterfowler and bought a duck boat at the end of last year. I got a 02 Xpress 1650 with an Avery Quickset Blind along with a 40 horse Yammie and it has been working great. I almost love just getting out there and setting up as much as hunting. I also have worked extensively on calling and when to call and what calls to make. I actually like calling and watching the birds work as much as shooting at them. I also have been videoing all my hunts and not harvesting just makes the vids a little boring to watch but tells me a lot about if I am shooting prematurely or missing by not leading enough. This is a great forum and I hope the end of the season brings some colder weather so some new birds can get down here. I am hunting The Fox River area around Barrington and West Loon Lake in Antioch.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:01 pm

I feel like there's an echo, 1080.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby jedimike » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:10 pm

So we've called it a season. Didn't use our redwing blind either.. real shame. Good luck to you.
jedimike
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:21 am

The way I avoid crappy hunts is to just not go. Been once, black friday we killed 3 ringers and a glad rag. I'm not hunting in 70 degree weather. I'd rather save my yard passes because when the weather does break and they do get here it's gonna be game on
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:50 am

lostpup wrote:Russia roulette. You have a 1:6 chance of not worring about it so much !

Honestly just enjoy being out there, hunting is not only about the killing :huh:

:thumbsup: :beer:
supr87gt
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:58 am

jedimike wrote:So far, it's absolutely terrible. The water's so low we cant use our duck blind. We get completely skunked at des plaines and the chain, 4 birds out of 6 guys.

So we come out to South Dakota to do some pheasants. HA! We see about 60 hens today and 3 roosters.

I'm willing to bet the ducks coming down are going to suck as well. Everything young has died off from the drought.

My stoeger doesn't want to cycle 2 3/4 shells now.

Someone tell me something to cure my pessimism

Hold on. You have time, money and health to take a hunting trip to South Dakota with your buds? And you're complaining?

All of you complainers are pathetic.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 am

Yep, yesterday was the day!! Glad I called in sick. Mashed em and 2 Mallard man limit plus some bonus ducks by 9:30. Got out so 2 other guys could go out. Not that my season has been bad, but this hunt made the season that much sweeter!!!! 1-GWT, 1 gaddy, 1 Bluebill, 7 Mallard drakes and one hen :beer:
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:15 pm

I almost exclusively hunt public land and with the exception of a few 2-3 bird days you guys will hear no complaints from me about this season. Heck it might just be my best to date :yes: . What I've found to be true in the past continues to be true today, the more time and effort you put into your offseason/season, the better the results you are likely to have.

Too many of you guys do nothing but complain allllll season long about "It's too hot, it's too cold, not enough birds, where's the migration, don't hunt my spot...." blah blah blah :crying: . If you're not killing birds, its because you are spending more time making excuses ( or just being plain lazy ) then scouting, knocking on doors, or working to become a better duck hunter. Sorry for the rant guys because I know that there are few of you guys out there who still put in the time ( you guys know who you are :thumbsup: ) but there are just too many part-timer/whiners out there nowadays who think that because they have a gun and a hunting license that they are entitled to record breaking seasons. Just like pimpin', this ain't easy :lol3:
End Rant.
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:31 pm

:lol: True story!! :thumbsup:
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Blackcloud870 wrote:I almost exclusively hunt public land and with the exception of a few 2-3 bird days you guys will hear no complaints from me about this season. Heck it might just be my best to date :yes: . What I've found to be true in the past continues to be true today, the more time and effort you put into your offseason/season, the better the results you are likely to have.

Too many of you guys do nothing but complain allllll season long about "It's too hot, it's too cold, not enough birds, where's the migration, don't hunt my spot...." blah blah blah :crying: . If you're not killing birds, its because you are spending more time making excuses ( or just being plain lazy ) then scouting, knocking on doors, or working to become a better duck hunter. Sorry for the rant guys because I know that there are few of you guys out there who still put in the time ( you guys know who you are :thumbsup: ) but there are just too many part-timer/whiners out there nowadays who think that because they have a gun and a hunting license that they are entitled to record breaking seasons. Just like pimpin', this ain't easy :lol3:
End Rant.

Amen! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Had a good year so far. Had a good year last year. I like hunting in sixty degree weather, beats the heck out of freezing my nuts off! Go find em fellas they are here :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Doesn't it go something like "fail to plan, plan to fail."

@Blackcloud good luck with the end of your season and I am happy you are enjoying it!
KillerKowalski
hunter

Re: Re: Hunting 2012

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:15 am

Cujo1 wrote:Amen! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Had a good year so far. Had a good year last year. I like hunting in sixty degree weather, beats the heck out of freezing my nuts off! Go find em fellas they are here :thumbsup:

You know it's funny Cujo, you were one of the guys I was thinking about when I wrote this.
That hunt you had last year with Lostpup came to mind :clapping:
You sure could teach some folks a thing or two :yes:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby hunter69 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:31 am

Ive killed a big number of 4 this year. Been out 15 plus times. Its been a good year in my eyes so far. Kids and my wife was with me opening day and I've seen tons of ducks just cant figure them out. Gunna keep trying different things til i get them in. Hopefully some geese come in before i get home. Might try the rotary machine on the early geese. I also almost like watching and setting up the spread more than the killing. Good luck to all and just remember it could be worse
hunter69
hunter

Postby WalkinHunter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:55 am

My season is moving along just fine. Only had 2 hunts where I got skunked. But I am not gonna post my kill. That is unsporting and truly self serving.

I made a trip to the Cache yesterday. There are plenty of ducks. However the areas with enough water are restricted pretty much to those on or near the river.

OK now a comment about these _______ that keep yelling at folks to do their own "scouting". This forum is about exchange and informing. Not preaching some archaic male bullying crap. We come here to share. If you wanna help a guy, cool, but do NOT attack him or others for helping one get information. Even if that includes where the ducks might be. Cause in the real world, where the ducks are today, they wont be tomorrow or certainly the day after. So how bout a few of you growing up and acting more mature about the whole thing.

If we followed the dictates of some of you the mallard migration info and all that other stuff on the DU page would not be there. Sad huh
WalkinHunter
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:18 pm

WalkinHunter wrote:My season is moving along just fine. Only had 2 hunts where I got skunked. But I am not gonna post my kill. That is unsporting and truly self serving.

I made a trip to the Cache yesterday. There are plenty of ducks. However the areas with enough water are restricted pretty much to those on or near the river.

OK now a comment about these _______ that keep yelling at folks to do their own "scouting". This forum is about exchange and informing. Not preaching some archaic male bullying crap. We come here to share. If you wanna help a guy, cool, but do NOT attack him or others for helping one get information. Even if that includes where the ducks might be. Cause in the real world, where the ducks are today, they wont be tomorrow or certainly the day after. So how bout a few of you growing up and acting more mature about the whole thing.

If we followed the dictates of some of you the mallard migration info and all that other stuff on the DU page would not be there. Sad huh

Well said, think that person has moved on as it has no value here.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:35 pm

WalkinHunter wrote:My season is moving along just fine. Only had 2 hunts where I got skunked. But I am not gonna post my kill. That is unsporting and truly self serving.

Maybe some people need to actually go out and hunt instead of whining about how terrible everything is and making escuses about not doing well. If you want to be successfull you have to go a lot and on the days that suit your spots. It all boils down to being there when they are. I drove 2 hours one way to go hunt Monday just because I had good company to go with and it was going to be a ducky day and we got lucky. I still wouldn't be complaining if I didn't even fire a shot. Why should I put the work in to tell people where the ducks are? And you answered that yourself, they costantly move. This thread wasn't started by someone asking for help, someone was merly whining about something they could control, and if you think it's that bad then stop duck hunting.. If someone asks for a little help I will, but if someone wants to whine then IMO they need to hear about what can be done.. :beer:
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Where did you go at the Cache?
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting