Hunting 2012

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Re: Hunting 2012

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:40 pm

A few things on this WalkinHunter. I've got to admit that I'm not really sure who your last post was directed at, so allow me to take the side of the so-called " ______ "you mentioned earlier. Food for thought....

WalkinHunter wrote:OK now a comment about these _______ that keep yelling at folks to do their own "scouting"

Please explain why you seem to be so against people"Scouting"? Last I checked, scouting is an integral part of Hunting, :huh:

hunt [huhnt] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
to chase, search or scout for (game or other wild animals) for the purpose of catching or killing.

Bottom line, if you don't want to put in the time/effort required to consistently kill good numbers of birds, pay for a Guide. In addition to enabling the guys who are juuuuust ambitious enough to create an account here on DHC but too lazy to pound the pavement, you are feeding a countless number of lurkers who do nothing more than Google "Illinois Duck Hunting" and wait for guys like you to give up the location of their best hunting spots. Yes, that actually happens.... often.

WalkinHunter wrote:This forum is about exchange and informing. Not preaching some archaic male bullying crap. We come here to share. If you wanna help a guy, cool, but do NOT attack him or others for helping one get information.

Correct, this forum is about exchanging, informing, and sharing all sorts of information... which will hopefully lead to becoming a better duck Hunter. Internet scouting is completely contradictory to that end. I have helped, been helped by, and hunted with many a person on this site but guess what, those hunts were never free. They were earned, traded, or shared. With regards to the archaic male bullying.... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: It sounds like your manpon is starting to itch and you should probably change it soon. :hi: I don't know about you, but I have never in my life duck hunted with any group of guys that cant take or give crap with the best of em'...including my 6yr old son, so either grow a pair, get over it, or let me know if you would like to fill out an DHC official Hurt Feelings Report .

WalkinHunter wrote:Cause in the real world, where the ducks are today, they wont be tomorrow or certainly the day after

You are just 100% plain ol' wrong about this. Ever hear of the term " Honey Hole"? Sure, the ducks may move from time to time, but there are some spots that I know of where ducks can be killed every single day of the season, period. That is unless I share that spot a bunch of non-calling, sky-busting, no-decoy-having internet scouters/lurkers who magically appear 10 mins after legal shooting time only to set up 100 yards from my spread, and shoot at anything that moves. Yes, in the "Real World" this happens too, and these are just a few of the reasons why internet scouting is pretty universally frowned upon.....Am I breaking through yet?

WalkinHunter wrote:So how bout a few of you growing up and acting more mature about the whole thing.

Part of growing up, and maturing requires being able to recognize the error of our ways ( internet scouting ), learning from our mistakes ( getting worked over for internet scouting ), then correcting those errors ( asking more productive questions, offering to help scout, or call a guide ), instead of looking for free handouts from everyone ( internet scouting, then whining when when your feelings get hurt).

WalkinHunter wrote:If we followed the dictates of some of you the mallard migration info and all that other stuff on the DU page would not be there. Sad huh

I have no idea what ^^this^^ means :huh:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby WalkinHunter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:18 pm

OK Cujo. I started at the visitor center. They have been doing some renovation in some of the wetland areas. I wanted to check on that and see how they were doing. The drought this year has allowed them to get into areas that would normally be wet. The have been clearling brush and weeds and making a few areas a little deeper.

I checked just south of there at that first pond on the east side, it was full of ducks, including some hooded mergansers. At the bridge there many ducks just upstream. I turned around and stared west toward Perks, checked the boat launch. There were half a dozen trucks there. I heard some shooting a saw a few ducks. Then I went on the check a few more areas on the Cache until I got to the refuge. There were hundreds of ducks easily visible from the viewing platform.

OK? There seems to be plenty of ducks in southern Illinois at this time. Just get out and go hunting.

Yes, ducks move. We all should know that. They move daily in and out of a refuges. Sometimes they move from refuge to refuge. Ducks in southern Illinois also move to Missouri. When the weather is good they will move back up north, if there is water and food. We get movements around cold fronts. With all the snow in the upper Midwest this weekend, they will be moving south and east and west. There has been a change in the movements of birds that all used to go down the Mississippi Flyway. Many of those birds are moving south further to the west. That is why Missouri and Arkansas are such hot duck hunting states. But the ducks are moving even further west.

Another major change was brought on by the floods of 1993. All that land along the river that was used to grow corn and provide stop overs for waterfowl is being allowed to revert. The Feds and the states now own all that land. We are allowed to hunt most of it. But with it going back to trees it will not nearly as valuable as waterfowl habitat. So the ducks will move elsewhere.
WalkinHunter
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:29 pm

WalkinHunter wrote:OK Cujo. I started at the visitor center. They have been doing some renovation in some of the wetland areas. I wanted to check on that and see how they were doing. The drought this year has allowed them to get into areas that would normally be wet. The have been clearling brush and weeds and making a few areas a little deeper.

I checked just south of there at that first pond on the east side, it was full of ducks, including some hooded mergansers. At the bridge there many ducks just upstream. I turned around and stared west toward Perks, checked the boat launch. There were half a dozen trucks there. I heard some shooting a saw a few ducks. Then I went on the check a few more areas on the Cache until I got to the refuge. There were hundreds of ducks easily visible from the viewing platform.

OK? There seems to be plenty of ducks in southern Illinois at this time. Just get out and go hunting.

Yes, ducks move. We all should know that. They move daily in and out of a refuges. Sometimes they move from refuge to refuge. Ducks in southern Illinois also move to Missouri. When the weather is good they will move back up north, if there is water and food. We get movements around cold fronts. With all the snow in the upper Midwest this weekend, they will be moving south and east and west. There has been a change in the movements of birds that all used to go down the Mississippi Flyway. Many of those birds are moving south further to the west. That is why Missouri and Arkansas are such hot duck hunting states. But the ducks are moving even further west.

Another major change was brought on by the floods of 1993. All that land along the river that was used to grow corn and provide stop overs for waterfowl is being allowed to revert. The Feds and the states now own all that land. We are allowed to hunt most of it. But with it going back to trees it will not nearly as valuable as waterfowl habitat. So the ducks will move elsewhere.

Thanks so I guess you know of a couple areas that should probably be hunted towards the refuge. There have been a few ducks around there but they are helter skelter. Go get them.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:31 pm

The way your season goes, and the possible need for internet scouting may come from how your off season goes. Take my situation for instance...

Met up with a few guys from this site. We drew two blinds on the water. One of the three of us is very experienced, has a boat, and gives a great speech on how he likes to help some new guys out every year. So we get together in the off season, work on the blinds, and get them ready to hunt. I hear of great stories of how we will hunt in some other spots, some fields, etc...It's going to be a great f'n year! Can't wait!

Opening day comes, and the guy with the experience, and the boat, and the plans for the year doesn't answer a call, or a text...or a PM.

Hmmm...We just got had. Spent the off season working with a guy on a couple of blinds, spending money on materials, and counting on him to show me the way. Now the season is here, and I have nothing. Well maybe it's just an opening day thing...try again next week. Same thing...

What would you do? Internet scouting would be an easy solution...pretty understandable in this situation, BUT I didn't, and haven't. Nor do I condone internet scouting.

I worked to find some spots that I could hunt with my limited resources, and have hunted with some other guys from the site...making some good friends along the way. After getting bent over by a respected member of this site, I got pretty lucky to find some decent guys.

All I'm saying is, while there are absolutely some lazy POS guys out there that want to be told where the X is so that they can show up, and kill ducks, that is not the case for everyone.

While it's fun to bash the internet scouters, we really should be sharing information, and/or helping someone out. Probably on a semi-private basis, with no need to give up your honey hole. Keep it limited from time to time, but if we keep it consistent, we will end up with better duck hunters.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby WalkinHunter » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:16 am

Blackcloud, you have a serious logic flaw. No single one spot holds ducks everyday of the season. That is just plain illogical. Suppose your"honey hole" got froze out? So seeing that flaw and other is your remarks I will decline any further comments.

The point is this forum exist for the exchange of knowledge, experiences, ideas and just plain ole bs. If one ask specific about where ducks are, fine. A member may answer if they so please. However, attacking the person asking or the people answering, is unacceptable.

Ducks Unlimited is not bashful at all about telling hunters where they might locate waterfowl. Are you opposed to DU passing along that info? I bet not.
WalkinHunter
hunter

Postby lostpup » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:16 pm

WalkinHunter wrote:.

Ducks Unlimited is not bashful at all about telling hunters where they might locate waterfowl. Are you opposed to DU passing along that info? I bet not.

I would suggest that you go and visit your friends on that site and leave your banter and misinformation off DHC. Seems like a WIN for everyone. :fingerhead:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby riverrat47 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Just call the sites you are interested in. If you can get an answer, they will tell you what's going on. The hunting regs booklet lists those sites and phone numbers. Part of the Site Superindentants evaluation is based on hunter use days. If the birds are there, they will tell you. If they aren't, they will tell you too, because they don't want to listen to whinning at the check station. Even places without check stations are monitored, or at least used to be. Eons ago, when I hunted the Carlyle walk-in, I would frequently see site staff sitting in the parking lot, listening for gun fire and watching the sky. The local game warden and wildlife biologist are also sources. They know what's going on in their area and will usually spill the beans. Also, you have the weekly aerial waterfowl surveys done by the DNR and Il. Natural History Survey, usually on Tuesday or Wednesday, weather and finances permitting. Fella's if you've got a honey hole and it's on public ground, someone is going to find it. Quit carping about the internet.
Although not hunting related, many years ago, long before the internet, I REALLY got into the white bass on the Mississippi. On my way up river, I saw a commercial fishing buddy. He said there had been few pole and liners out all week, and most of them were fishing the backwaters, downstream. I didn't see anyone on the water or the shore. I didn't talk to anyone at the ramp, going straight home after taking out. The next morning, you couldn't fit another boat into my honey hole. How the word got out I'll never know, but it obviously did. If there is someplace where people are catching fish or shoot waterfowl, the word WILL get out. That's a fact, Jack.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:23 am

To Jedi, if you want to shoot birds, Des Plaines blinds would be the last place I would go. Back in the day, before some of the hot tubs, we did pretty good. Not anymore.
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter

Postby Blackfeet Retrievers » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:33 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:The way your season goes, and the possible need for internet scouting may come from how your off season goes. Take my situation for instance...

Met up with a few guys from this site. We drew two blinds on the water. One of the three of us is very experienced, has a boat, and gives a great speech on how he likes to help some new guys out every year. So we get together in the off season, work on the blinds, and get them ready to hunt. I hear of great stories of how we will hunt in some other spots, some fields, etc...It's going to be a great f'n year! Can't wait!

Opening day comes, and the guy with the experience, and the boat, and the plans for the year doesn't answer a call, or a text...or a PM.

Hmmm...We just got had. Spent the off season working with a guy on a couple of blinds, spending money on materials, and counting on him to show me the way. Now the season is here, and I have nothing. Well maybe it's just an opening day thing...try again next week. Same thing...

What would you do?.

I would of got up early and beat them to the blind or said blind may have experienced a suspicious fire :wink: By the way, I'd name names here. Scumbags should be outed so it doesn't happen to someone else.
Blackfeet Retrievers
hunter

Hunting 2012

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Some people are scumbags. We tend to keep tight lipped about where we are shooting birds. This is unrelated to cyber scouting, but an example of how word getting out can screw you over. Couple years ago, we had permission on a field. Shot a lot if geese there. One if the guys has a friend that works for one of the local outfitters. Not hard to imagine what happened. Outfitter came through with money and leased it out from under us. Free country, I hold no grudge against the farmer.

Same group of guys, now we give some money to the farmer. He lets us dig a hole and put in a pit blind. Same outfitter comes in and offers more money to the landowner, and offered to buy the pit from us. We never got back to him. Somehow that put blind caught on fire the night before the opener.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:29 pm

@Jay. I hear ya. Same happened to me. Only the club took my field I grew up on after fifteen years. Nothing I could do. Farmer admitted it was about money. It wasn't worth the money they paid IMO. So, last year a got a neighboring field and pounded the Mallards. I saw them out there maybe a handful of times. Now this year I lost the other field. FML.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby jedimike » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:40 pm

Did manage to bag some pheasants at chain o lakes a few times so we have about 6-7 in the freezer. No Duck, No Geese and we turned in our blind key for the season. Boats put away..

Like the cubs say.. always next year.
jedimike
hunter

Previous

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting