Weather change

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Re: Weather change

Postby 1080tommy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Today was pretty slow for us too in Antioch. Talked to my buddy that I hunt The Fox with and he did not see any workable birds. We shot at one nice teal but my dad missed. Not a lot flying. Tomorrow supposed to be warmer with south southwest winds. That is usually pretty good for the lake we hunt. We will have the sun behind us and the birds should be working straight into the sun. Good luck if you are going out tomorrow. Monday hunting upland at green river conservation area with my pointer. Got a free hunt through the DNR and gonna take a break from waterfowling til next weekend. The Fox River should pick up if it stays cold and the amount of boats that venture out drops dramatically when the cold hits.

That is a great harvest of ducks you got there Blackcloud. That goose is nice too. I noticed all of the geese we have gotten this year have seemed really large compared to years past. Great job for public land too!
1080tommy
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:29 pm

DBrooke wrote:
KillerKowalski wrote:Slow today. No movement. Yesterday saw two flocks of 50+ high flyin. Managed three Bluebill Drakes, but two dove wounded and couldn't find them. My first year shooting Hevi-Metal and really don't like. The weather did push birds around, but not many.

Guys near you said they saw a lot of ducks today. I was in my blnd and saw 1 group of 15 or so Mallards at 1st light and they were educated enough to dump into a small hidden pit.

I didn't see much today. A few flocks but nothing like it has been. I'm done as tomorrow there. The water pump on the outboard is having to much trouble. Starting the fields on Mon AM. Change it up a little. Decoys are getting pulled tomorrow. I'm sure the neighbor will be happy now.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:07 pm

We will most likely be starting to hunt the river because the ice was about 5 feet out on the shoreline today. There were a lot of ducks on the lake but they were staying put today. Hopefully tomorrow will be good but if not, I will switch it up to the river because even in extreme temps there is one place that stays open and can be great in the late season as the birds fly over and need to rest or just set down on the way south.
1080tommy
hunter

Weather change

Postby jaysweet3 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:39 pm

A 15 pounder is huge!!! Congrats!!! I've killed plenty of 12-13 never one close to that. On the wall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby luie b » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:03 pm

It's been very disappointing the last couple days with this front. I thought it was going to be a real duck pusher but I hunted friday morning and saw a total of 5 ducks all morning and 2 groups of geese. Same story pretty much that afternoon and didn't see much this evening either, just the same geese I've been seeing for about 2 weeks. Does anyone know why there aren't a lot of ducks getting moved through by this weather because it seems like it would've been a good one.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Re: Re: Weather change

Postby Blackcloud870 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:34 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:A 15 pounder is huge!!! Congrats!!! I've killed plenty of 12-13 never one close to that. On the wall?

Thanks man! He/she was a BEAST!
I decided to be nice that day and let my brother (who doesn't get out quite as much) hunt the end of the blind while I hunted the middle. This flock of three came in juuuust right and before I called the shot I tools my dad to shot the one on the left, and my brother to shoot the one on the right and guess where that guy lined up at the last second :yes:
I immediately dropped that monster, dad and bro whiffed, but I was able to call what I am guessing is that one's mate back into range (wounded goose call), and my bro dumped the second goose in that picture. I love it when they come back for 2nds :thumbsup:
I didn't put it on the wall but it nicely fed some of the 30 people we had over on Thanksgiving!
Last edited by Blackcloud870 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Weather change

Postby DanJeffandJack » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Congrats. First the band. Now this. You're tearing it up.
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:53 pm

DanJeffandJack wrote:Congrats. First the band. Now this. You're tearing it up.

Thanks DJJ. If you look closely, you'll see that I also got my first Black Duck ever in that pile as well :yes: It's just all coming together this year that's all :wink:
And like any good duck hunter I only really let in on the good stuff :lol: For instance, the night before that same hunt, some jagbags stole 2 dozen of my brand new, GHG full body duck decoys right out of my boat, my gun basically fell apart at the end of the day, and I got a hole in my waders :no: So I guess lady Karma just had something in store for me that day haha.

Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:00 pm

I hate thiefs. Hate them scrubs especially when they take your own stuff.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby DBrooke » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Weather change, I about crapped my britches Sat morning when I got to the blind drawings out here! Every waterfowler in a 50 mile radius appeared to be here for the birds everyone was wishing for :lol3: Well, they're still not here, 2 days of sky watching this weekend for us.

KK, I'll be pulling them out 0f my blind next weekend just because I may not be able to get out on the water again for a while and don't wanna lose my deeks when the ice does come. Waiting now for field birds myself.
DBrooke
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:49 pm

I was planning to destroy ducks with this weather change this weekend. Saw these guys taking shots on the fox river up by yorkville and these birds where all 60+ yards. :mad: :mad: I could not even believe what I saw. We never even shot this whole break and had a lot of birds working us and maybe even kill able but we are trying work them more.
xtrema13
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:21 pm

This has been a total bust season for me. I fell early in the season and dislocated my elbow. I'm still rehabbing, but can shoot a shotgun. Just can't find any ducks to shoot it at.

Blackcloud870 wrote:Proof!! A 15 lb goose:
That's awesome, but did you check your scale? My rapala scale weighs about 10% heavy. So if my scale says 15, it's about 13.5.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:55 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Blackcloud870 wrote:Proof!! A 15 lb goose:
That's awesome, but did you check your scale? My rapala scale weighs about 10% heavy. So if my scale says 15, it's about 13.5.

Meh, no. It was just a huge goose and that was the only scale I had laying around at the time. :wink:
Sorry to hear about your elbow Spinnerman that stinks. Look at it this way, you are saving a bunch of money this year and it gives you ample time to set many a person straight on the CI forum :yes:
All kidding aside, I really enjoy reading those posts. You have some very unique perspective on many of those topics.

Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 am

I've been getting a lot of pictures of nice bucks on my trail cam and there is still nothing I can do about it. :sad:

Hopefully I'm about 2 weeks away from being able to shoot my bow. We'll see.

I've been duck hunting for a little over a week with nothing to show for it, which is just unbelievable.

I was very disappointed in my rapala scales. I actually got two. I took the first one back when it was off so much and then the one I exchanged it for was just as bad. I don't know if it was just bad luck or they are just bad scales, but I still use the second one, but just know it's off. At least its off the right way :wink:

Blackcloud870 wrote:All kidding aside, I really enjoy reading those posts. You have some very unique perspective on many of those topics.
Thanks. I'm a nerd. I can't help it. Nobody can accuse me of not thinking outside the box. :yes:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:42 am

DBrooke wrote:KK, I'll be pulling them out of my blind next weekend just because I may not be able to get out on the water again for a while and don't wanna lose my deeks when the ice does come. Waiting now for field birds myself.

I was afraid of them freezing in and be unable to get to them. The small ponds North are froze over again this morning. Short lived though. I thought I saw you on Sunday's draw. I didn't get in it. Just took my blind and went out. Had a lot of passes, but no one was ready to take a shot. Two Woodie Drakes worked and landed outside the decoys at about seventy-five yards. Five minutes later one got up and went down the strip to the neighbor. Boom boom. They took it.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Rebels32 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:49 am

This cold front hasn't produced the way many of us planned. I'm going to drive around the Braidwood area this weekend to see if any new birds have shown up there. Let's hope for some weather..and fast!
Rebels32
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Rebels32 wrote:This cold front hasn't produced the way many of us planned. I'm going to drive around the Braidwood area this weekend to see if any new birds have shown up there. Let's hope for some weather..and fast!

Good idea. :fingerhead:
supr87gt
hunter

Postby DBrooke » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:24 pm

Rebels32 wrote:This cold front hasn't produced the way many of us planned. I'm going to drive around the Braidwood area this weekend to see if any new birds have shown up there. Let's hope for some weather..and fast!

I'll save you a drive, they're not here and based on the 7 day I'd say they won't be here either. Gonna be warm again this weekend and I can tell you that the retention ponds in Alsip were 100% open this morning when I got to work.
DBrooke
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:23 pm

I'll second that. Hunted outside the lake today and saw zero. Sounded like warfare on the lake though.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby DBrooke » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:53 pm

Heard from a guy that was out there this morning, not much of anything going on. I know when I was out there 2 weekends ago there were coots a plenty lol
DBrooke
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:24 am

DBrooke wrote:Heard from a guy that was out there this morning, not much of anything going on. I know when I was out there 2 weekends ago there were coots a plenty lol

Seagulls too. The only migration going on is people from Chicago. There's more boats there for the draw than people that live in my town. And both of those numbers are way higher than the amount of ducks that are here. :thumbsup:
supr87gt
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:00 am

I saw the 300 Coots on the South bank a few days ago. I still haven't seen a bird today and the lake hasn't stop shootin.

The seagulls are becoming annoying.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Weather change

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:35 pm

Guys are shooting more ducks in my lake.

The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:50 pm

I'm gon' try to find them this weekend...I've got an inkling, but I dont want to jinx myself :fingerpt:

Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:20 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:Guys are shooting more ducks in my lake.

Where might that be?!?!?! :huh:
KillerKowalski
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting