Thanksgiving morning

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Thanksgiving morning

Postby 1080tommy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving!!! My uncle and cousin invited me out to their blind on West Loon Lake and we had a great morning yesterday. We wound up with 7 mallards and 1 black duck. Seems like we are getting a push of birds because yesterday they were working the deke's and coming in. I went there again today and with the wind seemed like a lot of birds but they were not coming in like yesterday. We got two right after shooting time and they worked right into the spread and then we missed four that also worked real nice. We switched it up and only put out 12 duck deke's and called at a minimum and seemed to work like a charm. Also, no mojos and no jerk rigs, just a quiver duck yesterday today it was too windy for the quiver duck to make a difference. Great two mornings to be out and I am probably not going to go back to the river til next week. I should have some spots open and I will let you guys know if I need some partners. The river should be getting real good if the cold continues. Here is a link to the vid I made from yesterday.

1080tommy
hunter

Re: Thanksgiving morning

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:14 pm

What camera you using? Nice video.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Location: Where racketeering, conspiracy, fraud and soliciting of bribes for political appointments is normal

Re: Thanksgiving morning

Postby 1080tommy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:32 pm

I use a Contour Roam for the first person stuff. I have mounts on the boat that I can just leave them on and get the spread better but for any other blind I just have a head mount and can leave it on as we hunt. Looks pretty big and reflective but the ducks don't seem to mind. I just wish I could zoom but calling and shooting would not allow me to zoom even if the camera had one. Thanks.
1080tommy
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting