not sure what i saw

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

not sure what i saw

Postby kb9zgb » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:53 pm

Getting into my truck today i hear a odd noise. i look up and there are 6-8 large Canada goose sized birds low just over the trees flew right over the house. they had black feet overall body color was bluish grey/ lite grey thought i saw some orange on their beaks. they honked a couple times and sounded much like Domesticated white geese. i thought maybe swans at first but im not sure any ideas what they could be?
kb9zgb
hunter

Re: not sure what i saw

Postby howie3i6 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:14 pm

Cormorants maybe?
howie3i6
hunter

not sure what i saw

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Blue goose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:35 pm

I have been seeing more and more snow geese around here. The snow goose has a blue stage and is the immature plumage and also has an orange colored bill. They eventually change to their white plumage and there have been pics on other sites of these exact specimens. Could have been snow geese in their blue morph stage.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby 2takem » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:27 pm

kb9zgb wrote:Getting into my truck today i hear a odd noise. i look up and there are 6-8 large Canada goose sized birds low just over the trees flew right over the house. they had black feet overall body color was bluish grey/ lite grey thought i saw some orange on their beaks. they honked a couple times and sounded much like Domesticated white geese. i thought maybe swans at first but im not sure any ideas what they could be?

I believe if its what i have been seeing they are sandhill cranes. We thought we seen these "geese" as well on saturday! I have hunted alot of snows, specks and canadas i believe this is what u saw. If they are kinda softspoken with a flutter in there voice they are sandhill cranes. Google them on the internet and see if they are it. Hope it helps, pretty sure thats what u saw though
2takem
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:31 pm

All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby kb9zgb » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:00 pm

The Thunderbird LOL. I had heard that story before Not saying it didn't happen just saying that's not what I saw. more inclined to believe it is Blue Phase Snows. of course the Piasa Bird is not far from here so you never know. http://www.altonweb.com/history/piasabird/
kb9zgb
hunter

Postby joekool » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:19 am

you will know swans they have the ugliest sounds come from them and the sound when they fly well its pretty distinct as well
take your parents hunting, so you dont have to hunt your parents
joekool
hunter

Postby ricks2123 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:58 am

SPECKS
ricks2123
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting