Will we get a back flow?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Will we get a back flow?

Postby clwalkin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:05 pm

With the weather this weekend reaching near 70 degrees will it be possible to get a back flow of all the ducks that were here in "Southern Illinois". It was good while it lasted, but has gotten stale the past few days. What ducks are here know the drill and just aren't finishing like they were. There can't possibly any ducks yet up north with the ice that keeps getting reported, ice and ducks not a good combination. Guess I might pack my stuff and go to Arkansas and tough out the 70 + degrees before it gets too cold down there and runs the ducks to Louisiana.
clwalkin
hunter

Re: Will we get a back flow?

Postby little goose » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:35 pm

I don't know about a back flow, but don't worry there are plenty of birds that haven't even made it into Illinois yet.
little goose
hunter

Postby Kesselmayern » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:43 pm

I agree with little goose. I'm at school at school in Wisconsin right now, and the weather up here has been 50's and 60's for a while and it isn't supposed to drop below 40 till next Wednesday and snow isn't in the forecast until the 9th. If we get some colder weather up here it'll push a lot of ducks and geese south
Kesselmayern
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:50 am

No snow until the 9th of December ?!?!? Say it ain't so !!!
Grossy23
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:10 am

The 10-day forecast isn't accurate for precipitation ever. I don't doubt the temps though.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:09 am

I doubt you will see a reverse migration, but talked to a few folks in South Dakota the other day, they are covered up right now. Still more ducks to come, just don't know if they will get here in time.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:16 am

KillerKowalski wrote:The 10-day forecast isn't accurate for precipitation ever. I don't doubt the temps though.

Depends on what you mean by accurate. The forecast is almost never 0% chance of precipitation or 100% chance of precipitation. So you need to dig a little deeper than the simple symbols that they throw up. 10 days out a 20% chance of rain can evolve to a near 100% chance of snow on day 9 as we get closer and the models get closer to simply looking out the window.

They do a decent job telling you if there is moisture and instability to convert that moisture into precipitation that is coming. They can be off on how quickly that moisture gets here and they can be off on how likely that it will turn into precipitation and how much.

If they never use 0% or 100%, they can never be wrong :wink:

If they say 0%, that usually is reliable. If they say 100%, that's usually reliable, but it may slide by a day since they can be wrong on how fast it moves. It's when they put numbers in the 20% to 80% that are out a ways. That tells you little more than Image Maybe, maybe not and you can count on that too :thumbsup: :lol3:

Now the wind forecasts. Forget about it. Completely useless.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Will we get a back flow?

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:38 pm

We could get a bit of a reverse migration, I think there are still birds that haven't come down yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby clwalkin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:22 pm

I don't see that many ducks still being north with the freeze up that way. Had record kills in my neck of the woods but that has come to a screeching halt. With all the ducks I've seen come through here, I think most have went through already.
clwalkin
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:21 pm

KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:34 pm

No seriously there are crap tons of ducks up north still.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Cujo1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:42 pm

SPatrick wrote:No seriously there are crap tons of ducks up north still.

Ok, seriously, what are crap tons? I know what tons are and I know what a ton of crap would be, but what is a crap ton? I know you are an educator so I assume you get this reference from the youngsters, but what is it?
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:10 pm

I don't think that all the ducks have pushed through . However , if we don't get weather we won't see the rest until duck season is over in Illinois . At least in the central zone .
Grossy23
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:47 pm

Grossy, agreed. I am predicting the push for Central will come the last week into the first week of January. Well after, as usual. :mad:
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting