Remember when....

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Remember when....

Postby DBrooke » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:25 pm

The first week of December was the week to get those fresh birds coming in from the north, small ponds had daily skim ice on them and you actually had to wear thermals?

What the hell happened? I've pulled my trigger 6 times this season. Granted I've harvested 7 birds with those 6 shells but man I can remember seasons where I've been on my 3rd box of shells by now easy.
DBrooke
hunter

Re: Remember when....

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Rub it in a little more why don't you. I'm sure the ducks will come after Christmas and be locked into our spreads without any fear. Today, I have started to plan hunting Indiana's late waterfowl season in February and getting the homemade ice eater stand welded.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby QuackHonkBang » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:16 pm

7 birds might not be rubbing it in too much. But with 6 shells.... Yeah, he's rubbing it in!! Lol :bow: :bow:
QuackHonkBang
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Hold on a second , what February late season waterfowl hunt in Indiana ? Ducks n honkers in February ? Ok , I bit go ahead and set the hook ! Your joking right ?! Snows ok , I get it .
Grossy23
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Season has stunk worse than last year . Hoping for a good goose season .
Grossy23
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Hopefully you are a lunker to mount on the wall then!

IN late season waterfowl is Canada's only 2/1-2/15 in a certain number of counties. I believe there are only ten counties in the past. For years I had to apply to get a permit in order to hunt it and this year is the first no permit required. All water is frozen but tested an ice eater last year and kept it open for about a week. Held a few hundred geese daily.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby lostpup » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:42 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Hopefully you are a lunker to mount on the wall then!

IN late season waterfowl is Canada's only 2/1-2/15 in a certain number of counties. I believe there are only ten counties in the past. For years I had to apply to get a permit in order to hunt it and this year is the first no permit required. All water is frozen but tested an ice eater last year and kept it open for about a week. Held a few hundred geese daily.

It's 5 per person limit as well. It's designed for the early return of resident geese that get pushed out of the city's to feed in the extreme cold. We have hunted it for 3 years. !st year and last year we were on the giants ( residents ) 2 years ago we wore out the migrators. Wasn't on purpose but thats what was working that day. % guys made short work of 25 birds in a hurry. Lots of big fun there. I just wish Southern IL would the 5 bird limit in the early season like the rest of the state.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Ahhh, yes, I did forget it was a five per man limit.

My problem is the ice fishermen on the lake. They are about 200+ yards away. IN doesn't have a law like IL on how far I have to be away from a dwelling when shooting, so I literally hunt the pier or the shore line in a layout.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby DBrooke » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:44 pm

QuackHonkBang wrote:7 birds might not be rubbing it in too much. But with 6 shells.... Yeah, he's rubbing it in!! Lol :bow: :bow:

I can rub it a lil more, 3 shells for 2 geese then 3 shells for 5 ringnecks ;)

KK, let me know about that goose hunt, I'll be in for it.
DBrooke
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting